The Student Room Group

Is Higher Maths worth taking?

Okay, so i'm in S4. I'm currently doing Nat 5 maths and I'm very...average at it.

I don't enjoy it and I think it will be a miracle if I get a B next week. I don't think I'll fail, though.

For the University course I'm planning on taking when the time comes, I don't need Higher Maths. I just need to have Higher English and a Humanities subject (As well as 4 others at an A or B) But I feel as if Higher Maths would be good to have.

I've just heard that it's difficult and I feel like I would struggle to get an A or B, but I've also heard that universities prefer it if you have Higher Maths? Or is that just my friends talking crap? Haha.

Any thoughts from people who take it? It's just that I'll have to make the decision quite soon.
Original post by emilie9
Okay, so i'm in S4. I'm currently doing Nat 5 maths and I'm very...average at it.

I don't enjoy it and I think it will be a miracle if I get a B next week. I don't think I'll fail, though.

For the University course I'm planning on taking when the time comes, I don't need Higher Maths. I just need to have Higher English and a Humanities subject (As well as 4 others at an A or B) But I feel as if Higher Maths would be good to have.

I've just heard that it's difficult and I feel like I would struggle to get an A or B, but I've also heard that universities prefer it if you have Higher Maths? Or is that just my friends talking crap? Haha.

Any thoughts from people who take it? It's just that I'll have to make the decision quite soon.

Well, having a solid understanding on maths will put you in good stead for future jobs but it is entirely your choice, I do not think it matters hugely, since you are struggling, unless you enjoy it and want to put in the time and effort to put yourself through taking a subject you dislike to a high level :smile:

Btw, I would go request a mod to move this or repost this in the IB forums, most people here will not be equipped to answer your question I am afraid.
As a Higher Maths student, I really don't think you should take this subject unless you either like it, or intend to develop a like for it.

You're going to need to be motivated to put in A LOT more effort into Higher Maths than your other HL subjects.

Although, to be fair, it might be bearable if you have other non-technical HL subjects. I do Maths, Physics and Philosophy, and I find that Philosophy balances out the other two very nicely.

I heard a rumour recently that HL Maths is going to become easier next year. Might want to look into that. Currently though, it's fairly brutal.
Original post by emilie9

I'm in my second year of IB and I have four exams left before I'm done (one of them is Higher Maths).

Honestly, if you're not going to use it, I recommend NOT taking it. I've always known that I wanted to go into journalism so maths was never an actual option, but I loved it too much to let it go. The first few months are a lie, I was getting sevens all the way through Term 1 and now I'm guessing I'm at a 4.

It's NOT worth it because it is a LOT more work than other subjects and I don't think it's fair that you have to study so much when you're not going to use it in the future. Take standard maths instead, it's still interesting but not much work.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision!
Reply 4
I agree with what has been said before - only take HL maths if you think you will need it for your future career.

I personally love HL maths (not a surprise though, I'm going to study maths in uni) but it does take a lot of time and effort, which you need to be willing and motivated to invest. Also, if you're looking at getting a higher score, HL maths is not the subject to take. It is extremely challenging.

I would, if I were you, take HL English and the HL humanities (I can only recommend geography if you like that sort of stuff ^^) and take another HL which you enjoy and think you'll do well in. SL maths is just as good for courses which are not super maths based.
Hi!

I'm currently studying SL maths although I did want to take HL because of the amount of future doors it would open. My teachers recommended not to take it as I could easily get a higher grade in SL compared to HL.

In your case I wouldn't recommend it. If the Uni you want to go to does not require you to have it, then don't do it! Only take it if you want to study something relating to maths or science
Original post by gracieb2218
Do you think I'd be ok with standard maths for veterinary then? Since higher's recommended for maths and science subjects, should I take that instead?

It really depends on what the university wants. Personality I think SL will be sufficient enough for veterinary however I would speak to your teachers who are familiar with that field

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending