The Student Room Group

Does anyone know somethign special about Chicago UNI?!

Hi everyone i am appying to go to Chicago this year but i cannot think of anythign special to stay about why i want to apply!!!!!

i have looked through the website and theres no special initiatives or anythign or any significant campain to improve the uni!!

please help!- i am applying for economics in case that helps

Thanks
For your degree or on exchange?!

Usually you'd say you chose them because their XYZ program is well known and it's the fabbest uni ever yada yada you get the idea.
Reply 2
wasn't university of chicago the best university to go to for economics?
For some reason, I have no idea exactly why, I have a U of Chicago prospectus in my desk drawer.

- the core studies program (liberal arts done better?)
-the undergraduate house system
-the research
-the extra currics/student organizations
-the fact they have a wide range of really cool majors to choose from
Reply 4
i hate chicago's application, infact it was the single reason I didnt apply there. I dont understand why colleges won't just use the common app and then a supplement if there is stuff they also need to know. Why do they have a totally separate "uncommon app" as if us students don't already have enough forms to fill out and check and check again and check again.
Reply 5
Gahh, I LOVE the Un-Common App! I think the questions are totally stimulating, and I would totally apply there... I probably am next year.

Too bad I can't answer this year's questions. I want to answer the one about the cartesian plane and what point/line/function I would be and why.
zackinbaltimore
Gahh, I LOVE the Un-Common App! I think the questions are totally stimulating, and I would totally apply there... I probably am next year.

Too bad I can't answer this year's questions. I want to answer the one about the cartesian plane and what point/line/function I would be and why.

and which would you choose?!
Reply 7
i'm going to chicago next year and really liked doing the uncommon app ... i made up my own question though - didn't do one of the ones they listed even though they were all terrific.

you'll want to talk about the core curriculum for sure in your essay.
Reply 8
Scheherezade
and which would you choose?!

I thought it'd be a laugh to do something really cheesy like... i'd be y=x^2, because i'm really easy to differentiate from the rest of the applicants, and i will integrate easily into the campus, even though I live thousands of miles away.

The thing with these sorts of questions is that at first they are like 'ah yer cool, that'll be fun' and they you realise you have to keep making tenuous links back the original questions which are really pointless and cheesy, and that everything you are saying is wishy-washy and mostly there to answer the question or link back to your 'cartesian equation' and is not actually you.
You're applying to Chicago economics and you can't think of anything to say.... hmmmm... look up 'Chicago school' (of economics). This may help.
Reply 10
i hate filling out the uncommon app, it's the reason of why i'm not applying. the questions of the essay are just, too, weird. otherwise the uchic sounds great overall.

i think the something special could be that it is the university with the most nobel laureates. but even i heard that those laureates just did research there, and did not merely graduate from uchic. so, i don't know.
Reply 11
i hate chicago's application, infact it was the single reason I didnt apply there. I dont understand why colleges won't just use the common app and then a supplement if there is stuff they also need to know. Why do they have a totally separate "uncommon app" as if us students don't already have enough forms to fill out and check and check again and check again.

Chicago is moving to the Common App next year. :frown:

Common Core

Great housing and food

Small classes

Intense academics

Excellent resources and libraries

Strong in everything from econ to paleontology and archaeology

City of Chicago

Latest

Trending

Trending