The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Wikipedia :smile:
'During this territorial peak the Roman Empire controlled approximately 5 900 000 km² (2,300,000 sq.mi.) of land surface'
:smile:
I'll move this to history now the question has been answere.

I'd guess that the discussion could go further there if anyone else is going to contribute :smile:
brimstone
'During this territorial peak the Roman Empire controlled approximately 5 900 000 km² (2,300,000 sq.mi.) of land surface'

The Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire were two distinctly different entities.

To the OP, could you give a specific time you're looking at as the Empire expanded and contracted throughout its existence which spanned almost a millennium.
Reply 4
im looking for the period between 1515-29, the land area at its peak..

thank u so much for ur help..:smile:
Reply 5
brimstone

i checked wikipedia but i couldn't find it..funny that..:redface:

that seems to be huge, do u know which countries are included in that land area?

thanks.
n0b0dy
i checked wikipedia but i couldn't find it..funny that..:redface:

that seems to be huge, do u know which countries are included in that land area?

thanks.

That's the Roman rather than Holy Roman Empire. I can't find figures of size but I can provide you with a list of countries under the control of Charles V who was Holy Roman Emperor at the time although his holdings extended beyond there.

Those are a couple of maps I found online.

Let me know if you want a list of countries and I shall compile one.
Reply 7
thanks a lot for the maps.. :smile:

im trying to compare the sizes of England, with France and the Holy Roman Empire in 1515, i found that the land area of France was 543,965 km², but i guess thats for the present day..

the Holy Roman Empire just seems huge compared to France, with 5 900 000 km², thats more than 10 times larger, i guessed it would be triple or quadruple the size of France..

basically, i just need the evidence that Holy Roman Empire and France were both larger than England in 1515-1529..

thanks..
The figure of 5900000 is the Roman Empire, NOT the Holy Roman Empire which was a lot smaller than that. Present day France and France of the sixteenth century were different. For one Burgundy was not a part of France at the time you are looking at as I believe that Charles V was Duke of Burgundy and he was the Holy Roman Empire.

The Holy Roman Empire was basically everything between France on the West, Poland and Hungary in the East and Venice and the rest of the Italian states in the South. However, the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V was also ruler of further extensive territories; Spain, the New World, the Habsburg holdings and also parts of Italy at one point or another.
Reply 9
ah, ok.. this was the reason i didn't do geography..

gave in the essay today and forgot to put the area of the empire.. arrrggghhh... now the teacher is gonna wonder what the question mark means.. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Reply 10
thanks a lot for all ur help.. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending