The Student Room Group

Drama queens demand council changes "offensive" street name

A gay couple are demanding a street named after a local gas fitter is renamed because it is offensive to homosexuals.
Phillip Tucker and his husband Ian, who have lived in Borough Green in Kent for more than seven years, are calling for the name - Bangays Way - to be changed.
It was called after Frank Bangay, a former parish councillor, historian and school governor, who died in December 1999, as a tribute to his dedication to the village.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3081638/Gay-couple-demand-street-called-Bangays-Way-renamed-offensive-homosexuals-actually-named-local-gas-fitter.html

I suppose it would be "homophobic" not to :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thesabbath
A gay couple are demanding a street named after a local gas fitter is renamed because it is offensive to homosexuals.
Phillip Tucker and his husband Ian, who have lived in Borough Green in Kent for more than seven years, are calling for the name - Bangays Way - to be changed.
It was called after Frank Bangay, a former parish councillor, historian and school governor, who died in December 1999, as a tribute to his dedication to the village.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3081638/Gay-couple-demand-street-called-Bangays-Way-renamed-offensive-homosexuals-actually-named-local-gas-fitter.html

Pretty sure they're probably not the only gay couple in that area. So why are they so offended. I've seen street names that could be seen as offensive, but I don't think it's that much of a big deal haha. Like damn I've passed 'Hoe Street' before. What if I were a hoe?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Jesus Christ how is it offensive ???

Bunch of idiots those two are. Now we're going to see the introduction of the "homophobia" card
The UK is doomed. Too many (gay or not) who have become pathetic people lacking any personal responsibility.
Reply 4
They need to get over it. I can smell the insecurity from here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
drama queens indeed
Whatever will we do now?
Original post by goobypls
Jesus Christ how is it offensive ???

Bunch of idiots those two are. Now we're going to see the introduction of the "homophobia" card

Meanwhile at the Daily Mail HQ:

"Yes!! Objective accomplished.
Next on the list; 'Mum of three, living on Benefits buys Porsche' This will really rile them up""
Reply 8
They need to get a ****ing grip.
Reply 9
Original post by Novascope
Pretty sure they're probably not the only gay couple in that area.

On the contrary, they are the only gays in the village.

Jokes aside, people in uproar about this are playing directly into the Daily Mail's hands. Make a mountain out of a molehill on a vaguely divisive issue to get webpage views, profit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Breaking news: stupid people still exist. More at 11.

:sigh:
Reply 11
Original post by Xin Xang
Meanwhile at the Daily Mail HQ:

"Yes!! Objective accomplished.
Next on the list; 'Mum of three, living on Benefits buys Porsche' This will really rile them up""

Original post by jf1994
On the contrary, they are the only gays in the village.

Jokes aside, people in uproar about this are playing directly into the Daily Mail's hands. Make a mountain out of a molehill on a vaguely divisive issue to get webpage views, profit.

I agree that the DM is likely rubbing its hands over this story.

However, there is an aggressive lobby promoting homosexual politics, which is accustomed to getting its own way, and silencing dissenters. This only encourages its activists to pull stunts like this, ostensibly to reduce "oppression", but has the detrimental impact of losing the movement implicit public support from those who are ordinarily completely indifferent, while shoring up the political opposition. In publicising these prima facie ludicrous stories the tabloid press continues to perform an important role in the national debate.
Reply 12
However, there is an aggressive lobby promoting homosexual politics, which is accustomed to getting its own way, and silencing dissenters.

This is pretty spurious TBH. The major campaign groups like Stonewall tend to be quite moderate (in fact that tends to be the main complaint levied against them). There are plenty of self-important oxygen wasters moaning on Tumblr about equal rights, but that doesn't translate to much actual political pressure.
Couple of K for them from the Mail
Mail gets their gay hating/PC gone mad/loony left story

Win win
Original post by scrotgrot
Couple of K for them from the Mail
Mail gets their gay hating/PC gone mad/loony left story

Win win

Any evidence for this assertion?
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Any evidence for this assertion?

The Mail's entire output for the past 100 years?

As for the political slant, this sort of *******s kept Labour out of power for well over a decade, with stories that were not just orchestrated but as often as not completely fabricated.

thesabbath
x
(edited 8 years ago)
It's not meant to be offensive, but I can see how it might be if you didn't know the area and the person the road is named after.

For the sake of avoiding future awkwardness, it won't do any harm if they either take the s off or add an apostrophe. Then it will be more obvious that it's meant to be named after someone called Bangay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
However, there is an aggressive lobby promoting homosexual politics, which is accustomed to getting its own way, and silencing dissenters.

For example...?
I think with the knowledge of the origin of the road's name, it's easy to dismiss this claim but it's not hard to understand why, on face value, the name could be viewed as quite offensive considering it's a relatively new name and looks to be on a fairly modern development. Without that context, it could potentially be seen as being a rather offensive name to a gay person.

I don't think it needs to be changed, knowing the origin of the name, but it's pretty unfair to refer to the complainants as "Drama Queens".

Maybe the White House needs to be renamed to the Mixed House because White House isn't inclusive enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending