The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Downing College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by baznoy
thank you! i hope you got on okay! i received my as results: AAAA with an average of 93 ums.. hopefully okay to apply with? :smile:

what's your ums average to two dp? if you have over 93.00% then you are guaranteed an interview.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
it's exactly 93.00%, but only over 2 subjects (maths and further maths) as chemistry and physics are now linear.
Original post by eboos03
Hi, guys!

I'd like some advice... I am currently trying to decide if I have any chances of getting into Cambridge for 2017 entry. My dream is to study Bio NatSci at Downing.

I am a bit different, as I am an international applicant applying from the UK, and I am not studying A-levels, but rather IB. I have 44 points predicted with Chemistry and Biology at HL and Maths at SL (777 predicted for all three HL and 7 for Maths). The only problem is that my IGCSE results are not that great - 5A*s, 3As and a B for English Language... Do you think my a little patchy academic performance will play a significant role in the tutors' decision-making process?

Thanks!

You're not that different as you think. There're many applicants in a same position as you. (International student applying from UK)
No need to worry about IGCSE as they're much more interested in your most recent exam result = IB in your case. Your IB prediction is very good, and B in IGCSE English Language is no problem as they're only interested in a subject that's directly related to the course you're applying for, anyway.
Original post by eboos03
So you think I should go through with applying? Thank you for replying - I'm panicking a little!

Definitely. :smile:
No guarantee if you get an offer as many applicants apply with good grades like yours and exam grade is the only one part of many other aspects of application they look at, but you're definitely good enough to get interview. Good luck.
I applied yesterday for medicine, now on to the SAQ :s-smilie: My UMS average isn't the best (90, across only maths though) so hopefully good BMAT will rectify that a bit. Anyone else applying 2017 entry here?
Original post by isabella1999
I applied yesterday for medicine, now on to the SAQ :s-smilie: My UMS average isn't the best (90, across only maths though) so hopefully good BMAT will rectify that a bit. Anyone else applying 2017 entry here?

I'm applying for 2017 entry for Physical Natural Sciences! I know of one other person at my sixth form that is applying to Downing too, but I don't know of anyone else.
Original post by baznoy
I'm applying for 2017 entry for Physical Natural Sciences! I know of one other person at my sixth form that is applying to Downing too, but I don't know of anyone else.

There are two others at mine, quite a few other Oxbridge people though. Oh natural sciences, that's cool! Did you get to visit downing or not?
Original post by isabella1999
There are two others at mine, quite a few other Oxbridge people though. Oh natural sciences, that's cool! Did you get to visit downing or not?

There a loads of Oxbridge people at my sixth form too, I think in total about 18? Which is many more than usual anyway! I did, yes! I think I knew I wanted to go to downing from looking at the college website and hearing all the good things about it for natsci, but when I visited I knew that it was definitely the right choice! The accommodation was amazing!!
Original post by baznoy
it's exactly 93.00%, but only over 2 subjects (maths and further maths) as chemistry and physics are now linear.

Yeah, mine is 93.17 across maths and further maths
Reply 1129
Has anyone received an invitation to interview from Downing yet?? Some of my friends have received invitations for other subjects at other colleges and I was just wondering when we might expect to hear from Downing?
Original post by G_8
Has anyone received an invitation to interview from Downing yet?? Some of my friends have received invitations for other subjects at other colleges and I was just wondering when we might expect to hear from Downing?

nope, not heard anything yet, though i did an AA. my friend at sixth form who didn't do an AA hasn't heard anything yet either. fingers crossed they'll send something within the next week or so.
Reply 1131
Original post by baznoy
nope, not heard anything yet, though i did an AA. my friend at sixth form who didn't do an AA hasn't heard anything yet either. fingers crossed they'll send something within the next week or so.

did you do an admissions test? I think someone told me that the colleges won't find out results until the 23rd, so invitations for those who have taken tests might be pretty late
Original post by baznoy

Original post by G_8
did you do an admissions test? I think someone told me that the colleges won't find out results until the 23rd, so invitations for those who have taken tests might be pretty late

I'm so nervous aha I just know I did badly :frown:
Original post by G_8

yeah, that's what i meant by AA. i saw on the murray edwards tsr (link here) that those who have done cambridge specific admissions tests should mainly all hear back by the 22nd, but not before the 14th, and bmat will hear a little after that. not too sure with other subjects that don't require admissions tests, but who will get them at-interview. if you both didn't already know downing have added their interview dates here. one of the ones for the course i applied for (natsci) is on the day of my driving test :afraid::afraid:
Reply 1134
Original post by baznoy
yeah, that's what i meant by AA. i saw on the murray edwards tsr (link here) that those who have done cambridge specific admissions tests should mainly all hear back by the 22nd, but not before the 14th, and bmat will hear a little after that. not too sure with other subjects that don't require admissions tests, but who will get them at-interview. if you both didn't already know downing have added their interview dates here. one of the ones for the course i applied for (natsci) is on the day of my driving test :afraid::afraid:

Wow that will be a stressful day... good luck! hopefully you'll ace both!

The wait to hear about admissions test results/interviews is so painful :frown:
Original post by G_8
Wow that will be a stressful day... good luck! hopefully you'll ace both!

The wait to hear about admissions test results/interviews is so painful :frown:

i've got to hope for two things, one that i will actually get an interview, and two that if i do they won't be on the same day. i mentioned it on my saq form, so hopefully they won't clash.
i know :afraid: what makes it worse is that some of my friends from various summer schools have interviews already and it's just making me more and more nervous :cry:
Hey guys,

I've applied to Downing for physical natural sciences and was wondering if any other downing applicants (for all subject) have heard anything about interviews??

I haven't heard anything since the admissions assessment so would like to find out whats going on at the moment!

Cheers!!!
Original post by DropTheOH-
Hey guys,

I've applied to Downing for physical natural sciences and was wondering if any other downing applicants (for all subject) have heard anything about interviews??

I haven't heard anything since the admissions assessment so would like to find out whats going on at the moment!

Cheers!!!

Go to the main applicants thread - there's a link to a spreadsheet of interview decisions already received by TSR applicants.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4420212

Downing will contact you in due course.
anyone here got a law interview for downing?
Original post by DropTheOH-
Hey guys,

Cheers!!!

Natsci letters are going out today, it's on their Twitter! I'm so nervous :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending