The Student Room Group

Does Cambridge look down on private candidates?

To be clear, when I say "private candidate" I don't mean someone who went to a private college, I mean someone who taught themselves their A-levels and took them privately.

For medical reasons, my attendance at College is at 15% and they have handled it horribly to the point that they are more of a hindrance to me teaching myself at home than a help. Once I am 18 there are new medications which I can take that are far far more effective than anything they will let me take now so attending university should not be a problem.

My goal Is the Cambridge Natural Sciences course and I'm taking A-level physics, maths, further maths and computer science.

If I do take my A-levels privately and achieve the top-level results I think I can get, would a university like Cambridge be less likely to give me an offer?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Human0
To be clear, when I say "private candidate" I don't mean someone who went to a private college, I mean someone who taught themselves their A-levels and took them privately.

For medical reasons, my attendance at College is at 15% and they have handled it horribly to the point that they are more of a hindrance to me teaching myself at home than a help. Once I am 18 there are new medications which I can take that are far far more effective than anything they will let me take now so attending university should not be a problem.

My goal Is the Cambridge Natural Sciences course and I'm taking A-level physics, maths, further maths and computer science.

If I do take my A-levels privately and achieve the top-level results I think I can get, would a university like Cambridge be less likely to give me an offer?

They get lots of applications form home schooled students. You might need your college for the predictions, but an otherwise strong application shouldn't be affected.
Provided you meet the requirements, no.
They wouldn't look down on you, especially not for showing such determination. It may also be worth mentioning on your reference or elsewhere on your application the disruption to the education you've had.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending