The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

2016 University of Edinburgh Hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Just got an unconditional offer from Edinburgh to study linguistics!!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 181
Original post by JayYY99

Congratulations! Are you Scottish?
That's so quick.
Original post by JayYY99

Oh god I'm so jealous! I'm applying for the same course and have yet to hear from them other than an acknowledgement. I assume you've taken your qualifications yet, am I right?
Original post by Abbh
Congratulations! Are you Scottish?
That's so quick.

If my profile pic doesn't give it away, I am an international applicant from Hong Kong haha

But I heard they give offers to int. and scottish students first so maybe that's why
Hello, I'm applying to study English literature at Edinburg. Yet I was wondering what chance I had of getting in, as though they say they want three As - Which I got four of at AS, and hope to replicate at A-level- yet they also say this is for students with large amount of A* at GCSE. However I did not get that, I got:
Art: A
English Language: A
Core Science: A
English Literature: B
Additional Science: B
Geography:B
Drama: B
Spanis: B
Maths: C
RE: C.

Do I still have a decent shot at getting in?

A-level choices, with grades for AS:
English Literature: A
History: A
Sociology: A
Creative Writing: A
Original post by maracatinca
Oh god I'm so jealous! I'm applying for the same course and have yet to hear from them other than an acknowledgement. I assume you've taken your qualifications yet, am I right?

Wow another linguistics applicant :h: (we're pretty rare in this forum you know)

And yes you're correct - I already have my A-level results. That coupled with the fact that I am an international applicant is probably why I got my offer so quickly.

Where else are you applying to?
Original post by JayYY99
Wow another linguistics applicant :h: (we're pretty rare in this forum you know)

And yes you're correct - I already have my A-level results. That coupled with the fact that I am an international applicant is probably why I got my offer so quickly.

Where else are you applying to?

I know, only saw one other aspiring linguist besides you around here ^^ oh, makes sense then. My other choices are Cambridge, UCL, York and Newcastle; Edinburgh is probably going to be my first choice if they make me an offer. What about you? Planning to accept Edinburgh? Maybe we'll see each other next year, who knows! :h:
Original post by maracatinca
I know, only saw one other aspiring linguist besides you around here ^^ oh, makes sense then. My other choices are Cambridge, UCL, York and Newcastle; Edinburgh is probably going to be my first choice if they make me an offer. What about you? Planning to accept Edinburgh? Maybe we'll see each other next year, who knows! :h:

I would've reported you for identity theft if not for the Cambridge application! I applied to UCL and Newcastle as well, but for my "ambitious choice" I opted for Oxford instead.

Yeah it's likely I am going to accept the Edinburgh offer, but let's keep in touch to see how things turn out for us. Send me a message when you get the offer from Edinburgh.

good luck!
Original post by JayYY99
I would've reported you for identity theft if not for the Cambridge application! I applied to UCL and Newcastle as well, but for my "ambitious choice" I opted for Oxford instead.

Yeah it's likely I am going to accept the Edinburgh offer, but let's keep in touch to see how things turn out for us. Send me a message when you get the offer from Edinburgh.

good luck!

Ha, that's funny! PPL, I suppose?
True, it would be nice to keep in touch. Best of luck as well!
GCSE grades: A*AABCCCFU (derp)
A Levels (Y12 to Y13): Information Technology, Philosophy, Economics
A Levels (Y12 to Y13) achieved grades: A*BB
A Levels (Y14): Mathematics
A Levels (Y14) predicted grades: A
Course: Computer Science
Heya guys! Anyone else for physics? :biggrin:
Course: Physics MPhys
IGCSE: 6A* 3A
AS levels: 4A 1B (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics, Biology)
A2 Predicted: 2A* 2A (Maths, Physics, Further Maths, Biology)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JayYY99
If my profile pic doesn't give it away, I am an international applicant from Hong Kong haha

But I heard they give offers to int. and scottish students first so maybe that's why

HK applicant 🙌 Im studying in the UK Tho x
Anyone else applying with Norwegian grades? I got 5,4 in high school, so it should be good enough, but it's been years since I finished high school so it feels weird that those grades still matter. Also got a 6 in International English, and I've read that it covers the English language requirement, but does it matter how long ago it is since I finished the course?
Original post by Linaria
Anyone else applying with Norwegian grades? I got 5,4 in high school, so it should be good enough, but it's been years since I finished high school so it feels weird that those grades still matter. Also got a 6 in International English, and I've read that it covers the English language requirement, but does it matter how long ago it is since I finished the course?

I am! Got 5,4 average as well. Where else are you applying? And to what programs? I only just finished though, so I'm not sure if it matters how long it was since you got the grades.
Anyone applying for anthropology?
Original post by vildeung
I am! Got 5,4 average as well. Where else are you applying? And to what programs? I only just finished though, so I'm not sure if it matters how long it was since you got the grades.

Great! I think our chances are good with these grades :biggrin:
I'm only applying to UoE and Celtic Studies (maybe with linguistics or Scandinavian studies). I'm already here as an exchange student at the moment and I 'm absolutely loving it. I really don't think I'd like to study anything else at the moment than Celtic at UoE. If I don't get in, I'll just go back to Norway and finish my degree and try again next year.

I'm feeling positive though. There are a lot of Norwegian students here and I know it's easier for Norwegians to get in than other Europeans (tuition fees).

What are you applying to?:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Linaria
Great! I think our chances are good with these grades :biggrin:
I'm only applying to UoE and Celtic Studies (maybe with linguistics or Scandinavian studies). I'm already here as an exchange student at the moment and I 'm absolutely loving it. I really don't think I'd like to study anything else at the moment than Celtic at UoE. If I don't get in, I'll just go back to Norway and finish my degree and try again next year.

I'm feeling positive though. There are a lot of Norwegian students here and I know it's easier for Norwegians to get in than other Europeans (tuition fees).

What are you applying to?:biggrin:

I've applied for Biochemistry at UoE, Imperial, UCL, Oxford and St. Andrews. I'm also applying to MIT in the states.. I'm really insecure about my grades though, so its comforting to know you're positive!

Honestly, I feel am being waay too ambitious applying to these schools, but hopefully not all will reject me!
Original post by vildeung
I've applied for Biochemistry at UoE, Imperial, UCL, Oxford and St. Andrews. I'm also applying to MIT in the states.. I'm really insecure about my grades though, so its comforting to know you're positive!

Honestly, I feel am being waay too ambitious applying to these schools, but hopefully not all will reject me!

Good luck! I'm sure you will get into at least one of them. I really don't think it's as difficult as it may seem, but maybe I'm just naive.
Reply 198
Hi! I'm from the states and I'm applying for International Relations and Economics/Politics, I applied right when the UCAS opened (15 September) :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by erod47
Hi! I'm from the states and I'm applying for International Relations and Economics/Politics, I applied right when the UCAS opened (15 September) :smile:

Also from the US, applying for Geography! What are your qualifications?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending