University of Edinburgh

2016 University of Edinburgh Hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

German and Russian studies
Nat 5: AABCC
Highers: AABC
Predicted highers for this year: AAB
Predicted Advanced higher: A/B

There is no way all of you have gotten straight A results btw haha.
My grades aren't the strongest but I have a fantastic ps!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I'm applying for 2016 entry for Japanese ^.^

National 5's: AAAAABBC
I've not been told my predicted grades yet :frown: But I'm hoping to get 4 A's and a B (English, Geography, Spanish, Mandarin and Biology) ^.^

Original post by allybop99
I'm maybe applying for 2016 entry for Geology but haven't decided yet because I'll be 17 for the whole of first year and I'm not sure if it's a good idea going so young.

National 5's: AAAAAA
Predicted Highers: AAAA (Geography, English, Maths, Chemistry)

I'll also be 17 for the whole of first year, this is what I've been thinking about too!! Glad I may not be the only one ^.^
Reply 42
I'm applying for Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry (2016 entry). It's also nice to see that I am not the only chemist in this thread :smile:.
Reply 43
I haven't decided what to study yet but definitely considering Chemistry or Chemical Engineering. I've got all three sciences at Higher so I can always change my mind haha
Reply 44
Original post by chopinfan
Hey! :smile:

I was thinking of applying for Chemical Physics, but I can't do both Advanced Higher (Scottish equivalent to A2) Physics & Chemistry, due to them clashing on my school's timetable :frown: I've chosen to do Advanced Higher Physics but really not sure whether I'd enjoy physics or chemistry more at uni tbh. Wish I could have done both :sigh:

How did you get on with your AS levels? :smile: Bit clueless on English qualifications - hope that's right haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the same as my school. Advanced Chemistry and Physics are timetabled for the same time. I picked Chemistry but I'm hoping that I'll be able to do Physics as one of my electives in my first year (hopefully I'll get in).
I'm applying to Edinburgh for 2016! I'm from the U.S., so I won't bore you with my stats because they're so different. Nervous to potentially go to a university I won't be able to visit, but it looks so amazing! How hard is it for Americans to get in? I meet all of their requirements for U.S. applicants and then some, hoping that's good enough!
Hey guys! I'll be applying for Linguistics, 2016 entry. Anyone with me? :biggrin:
Original post by gigglebot3
I'm applying to Edinburgh for 2016! I'm from the U.S., so I won't bore you with my stats because they're so different. Nervous to potentially go to a university I won't be able to visit, but it looks so amazing! How hard is it for Americans to get in? I meet all of their requirements for U.S. applicants and then some, hoping that's good enough!

Depends what you're applying for. Medicine, for example, is ridiculously competitive for international students at Edinburgh but other courses may be better. Just a quick question - why Edinburgh? But anyway, good choice! It's great here! :smile:
I'm applying from the United States!!
Original post by Patka97
Hey everyone,
anyone from outside UK??? :smile:

I'm applying from the United States! I'm applying to the MA Health, Science, and Society course.
Original post by Patka97
Hey everyone,
anyone from outside UK??? :smile:

Ello, Romanian here. What are you applying for? And where are you from?
Applying for English Lit and History joint MA :biggrin:
Highers: AAAAA (Biology, English, History, Mathematics, Modern Studies)
Predicted Advanced Highers: AAA (English, History and Biology)
So yeah I think I stand in good stead for an unconditional, so long as my PS is well written - good luck to everyone else applying. :smile:
Reply 52
Hi! I'm from Czech republic and I'm applying for German and Italian. We don't really have GCSE or A-levels but these are my grades:

something like GCSE: 9A's, 6B's
something like A-levels (predicted grades): AAAA

Also, we don't have A*, only A's. (Actually, it's more like 1, 2, 3 - not A, B, C.)

Do you think I have a chance? :smile:
Hiya guys haha,

I'll apply for russian studies and linguistics haha. I'm from Germany so I don't really have GCSE's (though my equivalent grades were all somewhere in the A*-C range, not that much of a motivated student back then), but I moved to England beginning of last year so I'll be getting A Levels (German, English Language, Maths, English Language) predicted AAAB. It's the only UK university I really want to consider so I'm praying to get in aha.
Could anyone give me any advice on whether I should apply or not, because I live very far away and I'm considering going to the Open Day on the 26th and it would be a lot of effort wasted if I'm not likely to get the grades to get in?
For the A levels I'm currently doing, I have BBC, but I'm resitting the C to hopefully bump it up to either a B or A. For the course I want to do (English lit) the website says a typical offer is ABB/BBB. Is it actually a lot higher because of the prestige of the place? Because I think for me 3B's is pretty achievable. (Please be honest don't worry about hurting my feelings) Thanks :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by 2cool4scool
Could anyone give me any advice on whether I should apply or not, because I live very far away and I'm considering going to the Open Day on the 26th and it would be a lot of effort wasted if I'm not likely to get the grades to get in?
For the A levels I'm currently doing, I have BBC, but I'm resitting the C to hopefully bump it up to either a B or A. For the course I want to do (English lit) the website says a typical offer is ABB/BBB. Is it actually a lot higher because of the prestige of the place? Because I think for me 3B's is pretty achievable. (Please be honest don't worry about hurting my feelings) Thanks :smile:

I think I read somewhere that they don't usually accept resits due to the volume of applications. I'm not sure if it's any different because you're not a Scottish student. Hope this helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gstar7
I think I read somewhere that they don't usually accept resits due to the volume of applications. I'm not sure if it's any different because you're not a Scottish student. Hope this helped

Posted from TSR Mobile

they tend to be more flexible with the number of english/welsh students they can take at Edinburgh...not so much for Scottish students haha 😆
Original post by TheFroyoBear
they tend to be more flexible with the number of english/welsh students they can take at Edinburgh...not so much for Scottish students haha 😆

Ok thank you both, my careers advisor said that the Scottish universities are usually a little easier to get into because they want to attract fee-paying students like myself, but I think I'm going to go to the open day and ask more questions there. Even if I don't get into the university, it's still a chance to have a weekend in an amazing city :P
Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha we might bump into each other...never know...could show you around the city... ^^
Original post by TheFroyoBear
Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha we might bump into each other...never know...could show you around the city... ^^

Ah that would be cool! I'm from the South East of England so it would be like a 9/10 hour drive though.. 😅 I'm looking forward to it anyway, never been to Scotland before 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending