The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zamestaneh
Speak of the devil and (s)he shall appear :mmm:

devils not real tho :cookie:

whats your plan for fasting then? :redface: :hugs:
Cheers broski :smile: Yeah, I hope to keep it on the hush for as long as possible inshaAllah :redface:

What happened again, did they notice you weren't eating and then you admitted it to them or..?

Btw are you coming to my uni next year? (You can tell who the gossip girl is :lol:) If you are going to do the same course as me, I still have my first year text book in good condition if you want that as opposed to forking out like £30 for a new one :smile:

Hopefully you will, it is gonna be hard though. If you manage to get out the house for most of the day, it could be okay for a few days, I guess. Are you gonna be able to go for Taraweeh at night time? or will that be too suspicious?

Yeahh, basically. My parents came to my room a couple of times during the day and asked if I wanted to eat anything, to which I replied no :lol: and then in the evening they had figured it out already, so I just told them etc.

I'm not sure, depends on results. But nahh, not doing your course. Thank you though :smile:
Original post by cupcakes87
:colonhash:

:lol: I don't mind anyway. :hugs:
(edited 8 years ago)
devils not real tho :cookie:

whats your plan for fasting then? :redface: :hugs:

Even my mum believes in a devil of sorts :lol:
To explain the case of devils and jinn (which are like 'spirits' of sorts):
To a non-muslim, the concept would seem strange and as such it would be rejected - like what proof is there apart from those who believe in them saying that they have had experiences? How come non-muslims seldom talk of such experiences? Well, for the sake of simplicity, let's say that most jinn are bad (this mightn't be the case in reality, but Allah knows best). What would a bad jinn want to do? A bad jinn would be trying to lead those who believe or are inclined to believe astray, so what is the point of a jinn presenting itself to a non-muslim who doesn't believe anyway? Jinn/devils are things which we believe in but don't know too much about and don't really need to know much about since interaction rarely happens, it's just something we believe because Allah says that He has made them, and they exist on this world parallel to us but we cannot perceive it
Original post by moment of truth
Hopefully you will, it is gonna be hard though. If you manage to get out the house for most of the day, it could be okay for a few days, I guess. Are you gonna be able to go for Taraweeh at night time? or will that be too suspicious?

Yeahh, basically. My parents came to my room a couple of times during the day and asked if I wanted to eat anything, to which I replied no :lol: and then in the evening they had figured it out already, so I just told them etc.

I'm not sure, depends on results. But nahh, not doing your course. Thank you though :smile:

Yeah, I might go and 'visit my friend' some days during Ramadhan and make the most of that time out of the house :lol: I can't go and do taraweeh at a mosque - nearest mosque is in the town next to me and I don't really have that freedom to go out at night and just do whatever and come home :K:

I might not be able to risk fasting at times, so I will have to just eat when they tell me too, avoiding it when I can, but we'll see... Was that all in one day or over several days?

Oh yeah, I forgot, you are changing course too (gossip girl again :lol:). Good luck and I really hope you get the results you want inshaAllah :smile:
Even my mum believes in a devil of sorts :lol:
To explain the case of devils and jinn (which are like 'spirits' of sorts):
To a non-muslim, the concept would seem strange and as such it would be rejected - like what proof is there apart from those who believe in them saying that they have had experiences? How come non-muslims seldom talk of such experiences? Well, for the sake of simplicity, let's say that most jinn are bad (this mightn't be the case in reality, but Allah knows best). What would a bad jinn want to do? A bad jinn would be trying to lead those who believe or are inclined to believe astray, so what is the point of a jinn presenting itself to a non-muslim who doesn't believe anyway? Jinn/devils are things which we believe in but don't know too much about and don't really need to know much about since interaction rarely happens, it's just something we believe because Allah says that He has made them, and they exist on this world parallel to us but we cannot perceive it

lool! why dont you give your mummyji dawah too?? :tongue:

Islam lessons on TSR now too :rofl2:

igy. are they like ghosts? or are ghosts different?

Yeah, I might go and 'visit my friend' some days during Ramadhan and make the most of that time out of the house :lol: I can't go and do taraweeh at a mosque - nearest mosque is in the town next to me and I don't really have that freedom to go out at night and just do whatever and come home :K:

I might not be able to risk fasting at times, so I will have to just eat when they tell me too, avoiding it when I can, but we'll see... Was that all in one day or over several days?

Oh yeah, I forgot, you are changing course too (gossip girl again :lol:). Good luck and I really hope you get the results you want inshaAllah :smile:

:colonhash: :colonhash:

It's not a very good position to be in, I just hope your parents don't go crazy. Do you think they will be relatively alright? You can leave Taraweeh for now, I guess. What about breaking your fast?

That was all on the first day, but they were annoyed for a while. I tended to go out for iftar with my friends or to their houses. That also annoyed my parents :redface: but it could have been a hell of a lot worse, so I am thankful that they weren't too bad. I have heard of people that weren't as lucky as I was, and I hope yours isn't as bad either.

:lol: what else has she told you? :beard: and I didn't do your course the first time I went to uni anyway :lol: Thank you, I hope you get the results you need at uni too :smile:
lool! why dont you give your mummyji dawah too?? :tongue:

Islam lessons on TSR now too :rofl2:

igy. are they like ghosts? or are ghosts different?

:colonhash: :colonhash:

It's hard to even approach matters of religion with my maa anyway let alone the matters of another religion :lol: 'Why are you taking my peace away? Shanti, kuttiyo, shanti, my serh is starting to hurt' :colonhash:

I said I would help you on the Isoc too :smile:

We don't believe in ghosts - like deceased spirits of former living people flying about - rather they might be at most jinn taking the form of people to cause mischief, but I guess they are somewhat similar in the respect that they don't conform to the physical limitations of how we live here, instead having their own limitations in their parallel existence (which are unknown to us)
(edited 8 years ago)
It's not a very good position to be in, I just hope your parents don't go crazy. Do you think they will be relatively alright? You can leave Taraweeh for now, I guess. What about breaking your fast?

That was all on the first day, but they were annoyed for a while. I tended to go out for iftar with my friends or to their houses. That also annoyed my parents :redface: but it could have been a hell of a lot worse, so I am thankful that they weren't too bad. I have heard of people that weren't as lucky as I was, and I hope yours isn't as bad either.

:lol: what else has she told you? :beard: and I didn't do your course the first time I went to uni anyway :lol: Thank you, I hope you get the results you need at uni too :smile:

They will get annoyed for sure - like my uncle had a chat with me when my mum told him that I had read the Quran; more like a lecture of 'why are you learning their stuff and not your own' etc :lol: I will do taraweeh and try to do all the stuff as much and as normally as I can but from the comfort of home :u:

Nothing else tbh lol, we have been talking only on and off because we have both been busy...
I feel so out of the loop and like my understanding of reality is crumbling around me - what course did you do the :lol: Cheers :smile:
Does anybody know any websites or youtube channels that refute the criticisms given against Islam?

Like:

quran-errors.blogspot.co.uk
Original post by BrainJuice
Does anybody know any websites or youtube channels that refute the criticisms given against Islam?

Like:

quran-errors.blogspot.co.uk

http://www.letmeturnthetables.com/
http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/home
quran-errors.com
http://www.answering-christianity.com/ac.htm

Some articles are good, some are meh.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's hard to even approach matters of religion with my maa anyway let alone the matters of another religion :lol: 'Why are you taking my peace away? Shanti, kuttiyeh, shanti, my serh is starting to hurt' :colonhash:

I said I would help you on the Isoc too :smile:

We don't believe in ghosts - like deceased spirits of former living people flying about - rather they might be at most jinn taking the form of people to cause mischief, but I guess they are somewhat similar in the respect that they don't conform to the physical limitations of how we live here, instead having their own limitations in their parallel existence (which are unknown to us)

shantii kuttiyeh eh? :rofl: your mum also thinks your a girl :mmm:

i asked my mum last week, (thinking about you when i asked :lol: ) what would she do if i left my religion and didnt believe in God? and she was like id be upset and tell you God is real - typical mum style. and then she looked at me and was like but i know i wont be in that position because i now you wont. shes right obvs. was gonna ask her what shed do if i converted but decided against that cus i think that would have been pushing it :K:

after exams tho innit :slap: you might as well start now tho :awesome:

so i believe in ghosts and stuff- but no ghostys like that in Islam. what are angels, like whats their role? correct me if im wrong etc :tongue:
shantii kuttiyeh eh? :rofl: your mum also thinks your a girl :mmm:

i asked my mum last week, (thinking about you when i asked :lol: ) what would she do if i left my religion and didnt believe in God? and she was like id be upset and tell you God is real - typical mum style. and then she looked at me and was like but i know i wont be in that position because i now you wont. shes right obvs. was gonna ask her what shed do if i converted but decided against that cus i think that would have been pushing it :K:

after exams tho innit :slap: you might as well start now tho :awesome:

so i believe in ghosts and stuff- but no ghostys like that in Islam. what are angels, like whats their role? correct me if im wrong etc :tongue:

Shhh, I am trying to learn, slowly - what should it be, kutteh, kutta, kuttiyo idk :redface: Different dialect, innit :ninja:
Yeah, there is a certain line you don't pass, after which they would get suspicious or aggressive - "have you converted, are you no longer Sikh..." etc etc :lol:

I am starting now, my exams finished :tongue:

The concepts of spirits is better explained this way, in my opinion; obviously you might think I'm being biased but here is my point:
What are ghosts (outside of Islam)? They are disturbed spirits who met a premature end and so their spirit wanders lost, unable to leave this world and be with God and neither are they reincarnated. What purpose does this serve though? If the person has met a premature end, then their spirit lingering has no purpose at all, and anyway, as the Judge, God would then take all things into account that happened in his or her life and then decide accordingly what to do with their soul, not leave it wafting around like a lingering fart which never clears.
On the basis of the above, we can either come to two conclusions:
(1) Ghosts don't exist and really its just people being superstitious;
(2) There is a different explanation

I would then go for option (2) and suggest the Islamic understanding of the 'supernatural' things, presenting why in our belief, ghosts can't outright exist :holmes:

Angels have many roles and they are the servants of Allah, doing as He wishes: for example, there are angels with every person, one recording their bad deeds and one their good deeds, and they will testify for or against you later on, for example. An angel can't perceive them, but if I am correct, I think they are 'made of light'; I am still a lay person and don't know much about angels and jinn, so what I can tell you about either is limited.
x

Btw, over one year and one conversion later, I found the version of a shabad that I was looking (evidently) ages for :rofl:

Spoiler

Reply 594
[video="youtube;3F64hknuEdE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F64hknuEdE[/video]
They will get annoyed for sure - like my uncle had a chat with me when my mum told him that I had read the Quran; more like a lecture of 'why are you learning their stuff and not your own' etc :lol: I will do taraweeh and try to do all the stuff as much and as normally as I can but from the comfort of home :u:

Nothing else tbh lol, we have been talking only on and off because we have both been busy...
I feel so out of the loop and like my understanding of reality is crumbling around me - what course did you do the :lol: Cheers :smile:

Ahh lol. All I can say is that I hope it goes decently well. You can't expect them to just be like 'yeah, that's cool'.

:lol: I bet the other stuff is about her being annoyed with me or something so you don't wanna say it. I am surprised I am important enough to be talked about, to be honest. :tongue:

I did maths, and then you probably know the rest of the story.
Ahh lol. All I can say is that I hope it goes decently well. You can't expect them to just be like 'yeah, that's cool'.

:lol: I bet the other stuff is about her being annoyed with me or something so you don't wanna say it. I am surprised I am important enough to be talked about, to be honest. :tongue:

I did maths, and then you probably know the rest of the story.

Yeah, the best case and worst case scenarios are still relatively bad :lol:

Nah nah, she has never said anything bad about you, legit :lol: Usually it's about her being annoyed with me in fact :rofl:

Sorta know the story - like the rough story. So will you be living out here first year or commuting?
i can read what youre saying :colonhash:
Yeah, the best case and worst case scenarios are still relatively bad :lol:

Nah nah, she has never said anything bad about you, legit :lol: Usually it's about her being annoyed with me in fact :rofl:

Sorta know the story - like the rough story. So will you be living out here first year or commuting?

Yeah, definitely. How have you found life as a Muslim compared to before when you were a Sikh? Would you say you have changed?

Ahh, cool and haha :lol:

Wherever I go, I will be living at home for the first year, at least. Don't wanna risk living out again (for the time being). You are gonna be final year next year, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw, over one year and one conversion later, I found the version of a shabad that I was looking (evidently) ages for :rofl:

Spoiler

im so confused. what are you on about?? :erm:

and i like it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending