The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why are Muslim parents so against their daughters moving away from home to attend university? Its mysoginistic and backward, not to mention unIslamic, considering we are encouraged to seek knowledge.
My parents have threatned to cut off finance if I move away, but they'd have no problem with my brother moving away.
Original post by hudamh
Why are Muslim parents so against their daughters moving away from home to attend university? Its mysoginistic and backward, not to mention unIslamic, considering we are encouraged to seek knowledge.
My parents have threatned to cut off finance if I move away, but they'd have no problem with my brother moving away.

It ain't anything related to Islam. Culture plays a part in it, don't forget that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hudamh

Culture does play a role. But as muslims we can't pick and choose what we want to follow. Uni is a big test and perhaps it will be less of one if someone stayed at home rather than at uni. But of course this is dependent on the individual. Also in islam we are told to listen to our parents, maybe you could try working something out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by s_ahmed2
Culture does play a role. But as muslims we can't pick and choose what we want to follow. Uni is a big test and perhaps it will be less of one if someone stayed at home rather than at uni. But of course this is dependent on the individual. Also in islam we are told to listen to our parents, maybe you could try working something out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think its that my parents think I'll do something wrong, but they don't agree with the idea of a female living alone because she's supposed to live either in her fathers house or her husband's.
Rather than asking me to accept it, perhaps you should question it.
Original post by hudamh
I don't think its that my parents think I'll do something wrong, but they don't agree with the idea of a female living alone because she's supposed to live either in her fathers house or her husband's.

Neither I or s_ahmed2 know you or your family. Its down to you to negotiate and reason with them if youre that desperate to move into uni accomodation. But like what was said before, its cultural not religious.
Original post by carpetguy
(too used to pissing off wh*te people ;D)

I know you're joking but can you not say things like this.
Original post by hudamh

Oh I see. Well if that's the only reason and you really want to move out for uni then you will have to try and come to a mutual agreement. Maybe tell them that it's not from islam or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IdeasForLife
We were discussing dictators when you asked us whats new.

Oh haha. I mainly use Tapatalk to view TSR and I posted without reading any other posts. :ahee:

Original post by HAnwar
When you say praying, do mean bowing down and saying prayer (salaat) or just raising your hands and saying prayer (dua)?
Because the former is forbidden at graves.

I think I confused you by saying prayer and not dua but yeh I was referring to the former, thanks for clearing that up.
Reply 5989
I was being sarcastic on the fatwa. Please forgive me i realise ive been talking rudely (to a fellow muslima aswell) (too used to pissing off wh*te people ;D)

The prophet was a much better man than us so there was no risk of shirk, but we can risk that, especially if talkijg TO a grave. Anyway this was originally about returning shaheed to theur country of origin. I believe it is better to bury them at place of death as there is no obligation for the family to hwve a dead body, may aswell cremate it and send them a picture of the ashes.

Also, out of my uneducated mind, i would say that visiting exact graves is 'encouraged', as such, bevause you will feel a greater sense of tie and emotion. Feel free to refute this.

Soz for bad inglisheZ, on phone.

Damn... I had a clever quip in mind, cant remmeber it now :frown:

:rolleyes:
Original post by hudamh
x

Find a middle route. So that you can live away but they'll also know that you're in a safe 'halalified' place. Find a house/flat with other muslim girls etc... Don't argue for student accommodation because that'll lower your chance of persuading them.

If you can't reach an agreement then look to local universities because they may also do your course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hudamh

Lol
Original post by Inve
Oh haha. I mainly use Tapatalk to view TSR and I posted without reading any other posts. :ahee:

I think I confused you by saying prayer and not dua but yeh I was referring to the former, thanks for clearing that up.

No worries.
I know you're joking but can you not say things like this.

In what way was i joking?
Also, i censored it :tongue:

Plus, i can say things like that, i just did. I am physically, mentally, and morally able

Edit: o sorry, u said can you not.
Well, i am able not to, but i choose to
(edited 8 years ago)
In what way was i joking?
Also, i censored it :tongue:

Plus, i can say things like that, i just did. I am physically, mentally, and morally able

Edit: o sorry, u said can you not.
Well, i am able not to, but i choose to

So you're not joking? You enjoy annoying one particular colour of person?
but i choose to

Then choose not to in future.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5997
Then choose not to.

the kid will be a kid...
Original post by s_ahmed2

I dont know why he wasted all that time and money going to Makkah if he was going to end up praying in the direction of Karbala 😂😂
Then choose not to in future.

Whats ur beef with me :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending