The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cake_lover
What scholars do you guys recommend to listen to? :smile:

Salamunalaikum,

I recommend the following speakers:

Sayed Ammar Nakhswani, Hasnain Rajab Ali is another fantastic speaker.

Usually, top scholars aren't often seen speaking(though there are many, many exceptions to the rule) , but sheikhs, speakers, etc who appeal to the youth or have a certain method of getting across their point and are good public speakers often feature at the top of peoples lists.

[video="youtube;Z5-eQGsKUkk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-eQGsKUkk[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Tawheed
Sorry if i'm reading too much into it, but isn't the usual reply 'walaikumsalam'?:smile:

Indeed, brother/sister, I misread your greeting as "Salaamunalayk", so replied in the singular.
Wa 'alaykum assalaam

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ash92:)
Indeed, brother/sister, I misread your greeting as "Salaamunalayk", so replied in the singular.
Wa 'alaykum assalaam

:smile: No worries dear brother, i am also a brother!

I must add, Surah Duha (as you posted earlier) is an absolutely beautiful Surah. It's helped me through my own hard times, knowing how Muhammed pbuh was taunted be others who boasted he had been abandoned by Allah swt. It just gives one a sense of security, despite whatever difficulty we face, how broken we feel, put everything into perspective.

Now an atheist can say that's the placebo effect, but the Surah really epitomizes another verse contained in another Surah of the Quran:

Quran: "Who have believed and whose hearts have rest in the remembrance of Allah. Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest!"

There was even a study on this, i will try to pull up the results in the future if i can.

I apologize if i have not replied to your other posts on the ISOC, often i read messages and agree with most, or withhold replies because i feel enough has been said of the conversation, for or against. I do read and reflect on the replies, but do get slightly worried not replying can come of as offensive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Tawheed
:smile: No worries dear brother, i am also a brother!

I must add, Surah Duha (as you posted earlier) is an absolutely beautiful Surah. It's helped me through my own hard times, knowing how Muhammed pbuh was taunted be others who boasted he had been abandoned by Allah swt. It just gives one a sense of security, despite whatever difficulty we face, how broken we feel, put everything into perspective.

Now an atheist can say that's the placebo effect, but the Surah really epitomizes another verse contained in another Surah of the Quran:

Quran: "Who have believed and whose hearts have rest in the remembrance of Allah. Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest!"

There was even a study on this, i will try to pull up the results in the future if i can.

I apologize if i have not replied to your other posts on the ISOC, often i read messages and agree with most, or withhold replies because i feel enough has been said of the conversation, for or against. I do read and reflect on the replies, but do get slightly worried not replying can come of as offensive.

Ah, ok :yy:

'Placebo effect' is, in reality, irrelevant with regards to this. The effect is inherently psychological, so to claim placebo is pretty meaningless.

Indeed, it's another ayah that I absolutely love.

SubhaanAllah, how many difficulties Rasoolullah endured for our sake, shunning the riches that were readily offered to him.

EDIT: not to worry, TSR had notification issues as well recently.
Holy Quran:

"Do they say, "He has falsely invented it (the Quran)?" In fact, they themselves have no faith."

" Let them produce a discourse like it if they are true in their claim."

" And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant [Muhammad], then produce a Surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah , if you should be truthful."

Here are the words of Non-Muslims about the Quran(including translators):"From the literary point of view, the Koran is regarded as a specimen of the purest Arabic...It has been said that in some cases grammarians have adopted their rules to agree with certain phrases and expressions used in it, and that though several attempts have been made to produce a work equal to it as far as elegant writing is concerned, none has as yet succeeded"
F.F. Arbuthnot, The Construction of the Bible and the Koran, London 1885, p5

" It is confessedly the standard of the Arabic tongue... The style of the Koran is generally beautiful and fluent... and in many places, especially where the majesty and attributes of God are described, sublime and magnificent ... He succeeded so well, and so strangely captivated the minds of his audience, that several of his opponents thought it the effect of witchcraft and enchantment.
George Sale, The Koran: The Preliminaiy Discourse, London, 1891, p47 48

"The truth is I do not find any understanding author who controverts the elegance of the Al Qur'an, it being generally esteemed as the standard of the Arabic language and eloquence."
Dr. Hency Stubbe MA, Rise and Progress of Mohammadanism, London 1911, p158

"All those who are acquainted with the Qur'an in Arabic agree in praising the beauty of this religious book; its grandeur of form is so sublime that no translation into any European language can allow us to appreciate it."
Edward Montet, Traduction Francaise du Coran, Paris 1929, Introduction p25

"Briefly, the rhetoric and rhythm of the Arabic of the Koran are so characteristic, so powerful, so highly emotive, that any version whatsoever is bound in the nature of things to be but a poor copy of the glittering splendour of the original... My chief reason for offering this new version of a book which has been "translated" many times already is that in no prev ious rendering has a serious attempt been made to imitate, however imperfectly, those rhetorical and rhythmical patterns which are the glory and the sublimity of the Koran.
The Koran Interpreted by Arthur J. Arberry, London 1980, Preface p24 25 NOTE: A.J Arberry, the British Orientalist, was professor of Arabic at Oxford University"

The Koran is the earliest and by far the finest work of Classical Arabic prose... It is acknowledged that the Koran is not only one of the most influential books of prophetic literature but also a literary masterpiece in its own right... translations have, in my opinion, practically failed to convey both the meaning and the rhetorical grandeur of the original."
The Koran Translated with Notes by N. J. Dawood, 5th Edition 1990, pp1,3NOTE: Nessim Joseph Dawood is a Jewish Iraqi Scholar"

"Indeed, throughout history, many Arab Christians as well have regarded it as the perfection of Arabic language and literature".
John L. Esposito, Islam: The Straight Path, Oxford University Press, 1991, p21NOTE: This author is Professor of Religion at the College of the Holy Cross

My Reflections:

It is notable to state Muhammed pbuh was not regarded as a poetic, or one who performed in poetry before the advent in Islam, for the Quran is not poetry. Many of these Surahs were revealed during times of War, times of difficulty, chaos and strife, yet there is already a consensus about the Qurans superiority over all other arabic, and no large drop whatsoever in the Qurans beauty. Infact, the basis of which Islam spread and managed to initially defeat the opponents of Muhammed pbuh was through the Arabic of the Quran. Had those who hated Muhammed pbuh, were his enemies wished to quash him- and they did, they should have produced Arabic in such an equally powerful way, and he would have been put to one side there and then. People would have laughed at him and mocked him for making a claim that was so easily quashed. It is again to the testimony of the Qurans own challenge that no-one was able to match it.

He was surrounded by arabs who revered their language, who loved poetry and the nuances of the arabic language. His claim was so powerful, not only did he enchant , he prevailed in his message and was regarded as such a threat, they even plotted to try and murder him.

Muhammed pbuh was not a man left with a pen and paper - he was never before seen reading or writing. Now one can claim many of the best 'poets' could have been great oratory poets with no need for writing. Muhammed pbuh was never seen simply sitting in a room full of poetry books or poets, practicing his art. This was a man in the 23 years of his Prophet hood who endured a boycott, wars, starvation, bloodshed, tyranny, being the leader of one of the largest communities of the world.

Yet, even non-muslims who translate the Quran testify the following:
"All those who are acquainted with the Qur'an in Arabic agree in praising the beauty of this religious book; its grandeur of form is so sublime that no translation into any European language can allow us to appreciate it."Edward Montet, Traduction Francaise du Coran, Paris 1929, Introduction p25

If one reads the Quran, the context, and a good knowledge of a lot of other topics, they will find that the Qurans content itself is absolutely astonishing, it makes one reflect, and calls on reflection, but that is for another time.
(edited 8 years ago)
After reading a certain book by an Iranian who fought against the scholars of his time, rejected Muhammed pbuh, and wrote a terrible criticism of him, i have now decided to refocus and produce part by part refutation of him.

I won't quote the book, nor the individual because what he writes and presents is deceiving.

Infact, i do not mind people who criticize or disagree with our Prophet s.a.w, but for atheists to be championing that individual when he barely even gives a balanced account of Muhammed pbuh, is astonishing.

Fitna is when truth and falsehood is mixed up, it's when people get confused. There's a hadith on this i am trying to find. Essentially, falsehood fitnah and deceit take form of the truth, it makes you think it is the truth by using erroneous logic, 'evidences'. It's different to an absolute lie we can all tell apart from truth - it is also far more dangerous.

You're going to get people arguing in favor for and of it.

The solution is education and caution. An open and inquiring mind divorced from bias and open to a fair reflection.
(edited 8 years ago)
Assalam u Alaikum!

Looks like I was late to the party. Well done I-Soc!

:party:
Original post by Ankabout
Assalam u Alaikum!

Yes anka you are very inactive these days. How is your job coming along

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C2 MAY 20
Yes anka you are very inactive these days. How is your job coming along

Posted from TSR Mobile

Busy... erm, I'll post once in a while. I still like stalking the I-Soc. :smile:
Busy... erm, I'll post once in a while. I still like stalking the I-Soc. :smile:

Yes there are always some beneficial posts here and there so it is good to stalk

But you should join in more like the olden days when you used to post everyday :yes: isoc was even cooler then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Assalamu Alaykum. A nice Hadith I read today, thought I would share. :smile:

The Book of Al-Adab (Good Manners)
كتا ب ا لادب

2041. Narrated Abû Huraira رضي الله عنه - The Messenger of Allâh صلى الله عليه وسلم said "The strong is not the one who overcomes the people by his strength, but the strong is the one who controls himself while in anger." [8:135-O.B]

Sahîh Al-Bukhâri
Followed by a strong reminder. :smile: I hope you are all having a good day!
The Book of Tahajjud (Prayer)
كتا ب التهـجد

604. Narrated Abû Huraira رضي الله عنه - The Messenger of Allâh صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "During your sleep, Satan knots three knots at the back of the head of each one of you. On every knot he reads and exhales the following words. 'The night is long for you so stay asleep.' When that person wakes up and remembers Allâh, one knot is undone; and when he performs ablution, the second knot is undone, and when he offers Salât (prayer), the third knot is undone and he gets up energetic in a good mode and with a good heart in the morning; otherwise he gets up in a bad mode, lazy (and with not a good heart)."
[2.243-O.B]

Sahîh Al-Bukhâri
Reply 72
Original post by Tawheed
After reading a certain book by an Iranian who fought against the scholars of his time, rejected Muhammed pbuh, and wrote a terrible criticism of him, i have now decided to refocus and produce part by part refutation of him.

I won't quote the book, nor the individual because what he writes and presents is deceiving.

Infact, i do not mind people who criticize or disagree with our Prophet s.a.w, but for atheists to be championing that individual when he barely even gives a balanced account of Muhammed pbuh, is astonishing.

Fitna is when truth and falsehood is mixed up, it's when people get confused. There's a hadith on this i am trying to find. Essentially, falsehood fitnah and deceit take form of the truth, it makes you think it is the truth by using erroneous logic, 'evidences'. It's different to an absolute lie we can all tell apart from truth - it is also far more dangerous.

You're going to get people arguing in favor for and of it.

The solution is education and caution. An open and inquiring mind divorced from bias and open to a fair reflection.

Very interesting indeed!
Are you intending on posting it here?

Assalam u Alaikum!

Original post by Fisabilillah
Assalamu Alaykum. A nice Hadith I read today, thought I would share. :smile:

The Book of Al-Adab (Good Manners)
كتا ب ا لادب

2041. Narrated Abû Huraira رضي الله عنه - The Messenger of Allâh صلى الله عليه وسلم said "The strong is not the one who overcomes the people by his strength, but the strong is the one who controls himself while in anger." [8:135-O.B]

Sahîh Al-Bukhâri

Wa 'alaykum assalaam wa rahmatullah
Ibn al-Qayyim[rahimahullah] said,

When a person spends his entire day with no other concern but Allah alone, Allah [subhaa nahuwa ta’ala] will take care of all his needs and take care of all that is worrying him.

He will empty his heart so that it will be filled only with love for Him, free his tongue so that it will speak only in remembrance of Him [dhikr], and cause all his faculties to work only in obedience to Him.

But when a person spends his entire day with no other concern but this world, Allah will make him bear its distress, anxiety and pain. He will leave him to sort himself out, and cause his heart to be distracted from the love of Allah towards the love of some created being.

He will cause his tongue to speak only in remembering people instead of remembering Allah. He will cause him to use his talents and energy in obeying and serving the people. This person will strive hard, labouring like some work-animal, to serve something other than Allah.

Everyone whoturns away, from being a true slave of Allah by obeying and loving Him, will be burdened with servitude to some created being.

Allah says in the Qur’an [interpretation of the meaning]:

And whoso ever turns away [blinds himself] from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent, We appoint for him a shaytaan to be his Qareen [intimate companion]. (Surahal-Zukhruf, Ayah 36).

It was narrated that Anas [ra] said that the Prophet [saw] said: Whoever is mainly concerned about the Hereafter, Allah will make him feel independent of others and will make him focused and content, and his worldly affairs will fall into place. But whoever is mainly concerned with this world, Allah will makehim feel in constant need of others and will make him distracted and unfocused,and he will get nothing of this world except what is decreed for him.
(Narratedby al-Tirmidhi, Hadith No. 2389)

(Source:al-Fawaa’ id, page 159)
(edited 8 years ago)
How Are You Spending Your Time?

[video="youtube;6h-fRfEucXg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h-fRfEucXg[/video]
what is ISIS is it really Muslims or a fake hypocrisy ran by mad men who are not even religious ( as said by my mum)
Reply 76
[video="youtube;novvDVJcHso"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=novvDVJcHso[/video]
Reply 77
Original post by habibasaid
what is ISIS is it really Muslims or a fake hypocrisy ran by mad men who are not even religious ( as said by my mum)

I don't think we'll ever know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Guys, got an exam tomorrow and don't know much. Please please make dua for me. Don't know if a miracle will happen in the next 24 hours but i feel sick to the stomach and if i fail it will be the end of my life. I will fall into deep depression, these exams are making me ill physically and mentally. Please, help me. Make dua for me, just one dua-just raise your hands to the sky and ask god to help me. I need it so much. Please please please. God bless you all.
Original post by habibasaid

ISIS are Muslims, extremely bad Muslims. They've been caught making takfir on the population of an entire country (Syria), they have killed innocent people, they kill Muslims who go to negotiate peace with them etc. A few of their crimes.

Original post by HAnwar
I don't think we'll ever know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think we should say that. Saying that gives their actions legitimacy of sorts.

There is just far too much proof against them to say we'll never know.

Original post by kyoti
x

I still owe you a pm reply, don't think I've ignored it. You will get it when I'm free.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending