The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uer23
This is in fact the the methodology of the Khawarij, the modern day Salafi's have always held the position of rebellion against the ruler a dangerous matter to be avoided.

I didn't watch the whole video but I incidentally stumbled upon that part - seems like propaganda/ignorance on their part to just say something about 'Wahabism' and Ibn Taimiyyah and link it to the Khwarij, and linking them two things with ISIS and then throwing in a couple of interviews from survivors/escapees to then cause a negative association between Salafi ideilogy, Ibn Taimiyyah and extremism/oppression. I get what the video wants to say but at the same time it's firing shots, which I can guess is only expected from AhlulBayt TV...
Original post by Zamestaneh
Never heard this before in my life - it might just be cultural?

Neither had I! There's the possibility, but my aunt and uncle are quite religious, so I'm not sure.
Original post by meems5
Neither had I! There's the possibility, but my aunt and uncle are quite religious, so I'm not sure.

Religious people aren't always exempt from cultural projections of religion :tongue: Have you tried IslamQA, sis?
"Wahabism is a cult started by Ibn Taimiyyah - 'anyone who isn't with me is a kafir'..." :indiff:

Does it really say that?
Original post by IdeasForLife
Does it really say that?

Watch from around the 13th minute to about the 16th, it's somewhere between there
lol

Watch from around the 13th minute to about the 16th, it's somewhere between there

Jzk
The lies these people ascribe to Ibn Taymiyya (rahimahullah) or "Wahaabis" in general lol.
Cameron hired this guy to write the new "anti-terror" curriculum. Great choice.

[video="youtube;lj25N9dDujM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj25N9dDujM[/video]

Edit: Ignore the real-islam link thing in the vid. It's a load of rubbish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Incredible97

:yy:

Pretty good.
Original post by Mary562
I shall.

Good good.

As Imam Shafi said " It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs" :smile:

Original post by cupcakes87
this is disgusting behaviour :frown: and shameful

:yy:
Original post by meems5
I have a question.

When my aunty talks about her husband she always uses the terms 'He' or 'him', never by his first name. My mum told me it's respectful, and islamically you shouldn't refer to your husband by their first name.

Is this true and if so, why? Like I get that you should respect him and stuff, but surely he should respect you too? And if he doesn't mind using his first name there's no problem right?

Is the husband superior to his wife?

The sahaabiyaat (female sahabah) used to refer to their husbands by their Kunya e.g. Abu Abdullah, Abu Usama which basically means Father of (name of child) and I'm guessing conversely sahabi's referred to their wives Umm.. (mother of). I know it's sort of similar in other parts of the world such as the indian sub continent even though they don't use 'Abu' or 'Umm' but something to the same effect in their respective languages.

I don't think it's sinful or anything like that, it's more the customs and traditions. If it leads to disputes or problems with the inlaws and stuff like that just adopt the way of the Prophet and his companions, because Islam is silent on this matter and there's nothing wrong with a tradition (If it's not prohibited/warned against) and if theres not going to cause any problems between a man and his wife. It's only because of the recent rise and radical feminism and people trying to critique the most smallest of things.
(edited 8 years ago)
Religious people aren't always exempt from cultural projections of religion :tongue: Have you tried IslamQA, sis?

Yes I know that, thank you. I was just trying to say that there must be some kind of Islamic ruling behind it. No I haven't.
Original post by uer23
The sahaabiyaat (female sahabah) used to refer to their husbands by their Kunya e.g. Abu Abdullah, Abu Usama which basically means Father of (name of child) and I'm guessing conversely sahabi's referred to their wives Umm.. (mother of). I know it's sort of similar in other parts of the world such as the indian sub continent even though they don't use 'Abu' or 'Umm' but something to the same effect in their respective languages.

I don't think it's sinful or anything like that, it's more the customs and traditions. If it leads to disputes or problems with the inlaws and stuff like that just adopt the way of the Prophet and his companions, because Islam is silent on this matter and there's nothing wrong with a tradition (If it's not prohibited/warned against) and if theres not going to cause any problems between a man and his wife. It's only because of the recent rise and radical feminism and people trying to critique the most smallest of things.

Thanks for that. I was just curious, I would ask my aunty myself but it might be a bit awkward.

Do you not see that ships sail through the sea by the favor of Allah that He may show you of His signs? Indeed in that are signs for everyone patient and grateful. [Qur'an 31:31]
Original post by meems5
Thanks for that. I was just curious, I would ask my aunty myself but it might be a bit awkward.

Where are you from ? I see it's quite common in sub continent to not call husbands by their name.

And We have certainly revealed to you verses [which are] clear proofs, and no one would deny them except the defiantly disobedient. [Qur'an 2:99]
Original post by uer23
Where are you from ? I see it's quite common in sub continent to not call husbands by their name.

My grandparents are from India, but my mum has 4 sisters, only one of which doesn't refer to her husband as his first name. Even on her phone his name is saved as his middle name.

Also, one of his brothers lives on the same street as me, and his wife refers to him using his first name or uses a nickname.

Latest

Trending

Trending