The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Business or health and social work

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'm thinking of studying with the open uni. I've already got a bachelor (media) and a masters (film) but unsurprisingly not a good job!

I've been looking at the website and I'm just not sure what to do. I'd like to do something that will give me a better job of some kind, I'm doing entry level admin and cleaning at the moment.

I know everyone does business or some form of it but is it still a save option?? I'm also looking at health and social work but realise that it's not actually a proper qualification for a job and I'd have to do something else. I guess I don't mind admin work and would like to work in an office in the future.

What experiences have you guys had? I feel like I want to study something else but would like to make it count this time round!

Any discussion would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Hi there, I'm also looking into study a degree with the Open University and I, too, am unsure of which subject to choose.

I have studied biology, chemistry, maths and languages so far and I have never experienced anything different. I am not sure whether to go for another degree in science again, or choose a degree in language studies, or even go for something totally different like business or design?

It can be really confusing, it's a hard decision to make especially that it's our second degree (I didn't graduate from my previous degree course though).

I don't think business ever dies out, it's always a safe option, especially if you're doing something like a business management degree. English peaking managers are required in a lot of countries, especially in places like China and nearby Asian countries I heard.

Another quick option for you (since you already have a degree) is to teach English abroad (TEFL). Some countries pay really well. You can do that while you decide on what you want to study later on maybe?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hi Mary-Jo,
So you're kinda in the same boat I am then. What course are you thinking of doing?

Yeah business just seems so over run. I'm also not sure I can do it. I've only ever done a couple of weeks of economics in year 11 and hated it and gave it up back then. Think I swapped it for history (which I absolutely love but no point in studying that).

I wouldn't want to go down the TEFL route as I e got a full time job here I wouldn't want to give up and I'm really too old to be travelling around and doing some English teaching here and there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest