The Student Room Group

Retaking year 12

Hey!
I'm taking my AS levels at the moment and don't think that I am going to get the grades that I want (maybe mixture of Cs and Bs) I really want As to leave all university courses open to me but think it will be really difficult to get these grades up in year 13. I am considering retaking year 12 as I think that I will try much harder as I have learnt the hard about the importance of working throughout the year and not just 2 weeks before the exams!!!!!!
Also I haven't fully chosen a uni course so this would allow me another year to decide what I want to do. I planning a gap year anyway so this would just mean giving up my gap year for another year at college.

Do you think my college will allow this and will universities question it? Any advice or experience please!!!!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by mopsybunny
I'm taking my AS levels at the moment and don't think that I am going to get the grades that I want (maybe mixture of Cs and Bs) I really want As to leave all university courses open to me but think it will be really difficult to get these grades up in year 13. I am considering retaking year 12 as I think that I will try much harder as I have learnt the hard about the importance of working throughout the year and not just 2 weeks before the exams!!!!!!

Do you think my college will allow this and will universities question it? Any advice or experience please!!!!

It depends on your college, so ask.

It depends on the course and university, so ask.

Bear in mind that if you re-start Year 12 in September you will have to take the new linear A levels in many subjects and even the units you do well on this year would be of no value.. I'd perservere with what you're doing.
Reply 3
Retaking AS after getting Cs and Bs is so not worth it, just re-take certain exams next year. It's what the years below you will have to do anyway, and AS content regularly comes up in A2 so it may even benefit your A2 grades
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
It depends on your college, so ask.

It depends on the course and university, so ask.

Bear in mind that if you re-start Year 12 in September you will have to take the new linear A levels in many subjects and even the units you do well on this year would be of no value.. I'd perservere with what you're doing.

Are the changes to the A levels official and what subjects are changing?
Reply 5
Original post by Green22
Are the changes to the A levels official

Yes

Original post by Green22
Are the changes to the A levels official and what subjects are changing?

art and design

biology

business

chemistry

computer science

economics

English language

English language and literature

English literature

history

physics

psychology

sociology

Original post by mopsybunny
Hey!
Also I haven't fully chosen a uni course so this would allow me another year to decide what I want to do. I planning a gap year anyway so this would just mean giving up my gap year for another year at college.

I wouldn't suggest that.. I'm kinda feeling the same way, BUT a lot of universities don't accept doing a levels more than 2 years. For instance,
Barts:
We do not consider applications from candidates who have retaken their ‘A' levels. We do permit resits of AS modules provided these are not taken outwith the 2 years of study

Bristol :
We require the A-level grades to be achieved in one sitting and within two years. We accept module re-sits within the two years but not outside of the two years.

Edinburgh:
... so retakes of entire A-Levels not accepted and they must be taken within the first sitting. A couple of unit re-takes within the 2 years is fine.

St Georges:

We do not accept candidates who are taking A-Levels over three years but candidates may re-sit modules throughout years 12 and 13.

And many other unis..
So what you could do, instead of wasting a whole year redoing AS level, cos I assume you know most of the content, is to continue to A2, work harder and resit your AS units on June 2016.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Don't retake the year. I'm in year 13 and most people who got D's and E's last year are also in my year but they are retaking modules from last year. You can decide on your gap year what course you want to study. Having a gap year will allow you to gain work experience in different fields and therefore allow you to see what you prefer. This will also make your application much stronger than having 2 years of studying AS which as the previous poster pointed out is not accepted by uni's. Do AS revision in the summer so you can start fresh with A2 in September. In some of my subjects a lot of AS is repeated in A2 aswell so it will help you when it comes to sitting them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by FluffyCherry
I wouldn't suggest that.. I'm kinda feeling the same way, BUT a lot of universities don't accept doing a levels more than 2 years.

I think when you say 'a lot of universities' you mean 'a lot of medical schools'. It is not an issue for the vast majority of subjects at the vast majoirty of universities.
Original post by Compost
I think when you say 'a lot of universities' you mean 'a lot of medical schools'. It is not an issue for the vast majority of subjects at the vast majoirty of universities.

Yeah, medicine and dentistry.
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
Yes

art and design

biology

business

chemistry

computer science

economics

English language

English literature

history

physics

psychology

sociology

Cool.
Reply 11
When retaking year 12, do i choose all four subjects or can i just choose 3? cos on one of my AS results i got a pretty good result, so like will that count later. Some people who did resit chose only 3.
Original post by Compost
Yes

art and design

biology

business

chemistry

computer science

economics

English language

English literature

history

physics

psychology

sociology

Does that mean that year 13's can pick up subjects as an AS Level for the subjects that ARENT included in that list?
Original post by plower
When retaking year 12, do i choose all four subjects or can i just choose 3? cos on one of my AS results i got a pretty good result, so like will that count later. Some people who did resit chose only 3.

It depends. Talk to your school about what you want to do and what they can offer you.
Original post by Valyrian
Does that mean that year 13's can pick up subjects as an AS Level for the subjects that ARENT included in that list?

AS still exist in all subjects, so it is still possible to pick up an AS in any subject your school offers.
Original post by Compost
AS still exist in all subjects, so it is still possible to pick up an AS in any subject your school offers.

so teaching for AS would still happen in modules?
Original post by Valyrian
so teaching for AS would still happen in modules?

How the school teaches it is up to them but ASs still exist in their own right and there will be AS exams in the new subjects in the summer of 2016.

Quick Reply

Latest