The Student Room Group

UCAS Changing Firm Unconditional Offer

Hi! I am facing a problem and am seeking for advice. I am an international student and I firmed my unconditional offer from University of Edinburgh to study economics but I made a rash change 4 days after to change my firm to the University of Manchester by calling up UCAS. The problem now is that I want to change it back the the University of Edinburgh. Is it possible and does anyone know if I can apply for clearing/extra? Also, my 7 day cooling period is ending this Monday but UCAS has a holiday on that day and I am afraid that I won't be able to change it back. Any advice will be much appreciated as I am getting very worried.Thank you
Reply 1
You will have to call Edinburgh and Manchester and get them both to agree to switch you round. As you clearly pointed out the 7 day cooling off period will be over so can only be done if both uni's agree. In terms of extra that is only for people who have no offers. If you wanted to do that then you would have to call them both up and ask them to reject you which would be a very risky thing to do because you probably wouldn't find places at Edinburgh at this time of year unless the course isn't that popular. Clearing also means if you didn't meet the conditions for your offer but you have an unconditional offer which means you have no conditions to meet so you wouldn't qualify for clearing. The only thing you can do is call the uni's next week and get them to agree to switch them around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
You will have to call Edinburgh and Manchester and get them both to agree to switch you round. As you clearly pointed out the 7 day cooling off period will be over so can only be done if both uni's agree. In terms of extra that is only for people who have no offers. If you wanted to do that then you would have to call them both up and ask them to reject you which would be a very risky thing to do because you probably wouldn't find places at Edinburgh at this time of year unless the course isn't that popular. Clearing also means if you didn't meet the conditions for your offer but you have an unconditional offer which means you have no conditions to meet so you wouldn't qualify for clearing. The only thing you can do is call the uni's next week and get them to agree to switch them around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thank you so much for the reply! So in the best case scenario where both universities agree, do I contact UCAS to make the changes to my application as well? And the worst case scenario would be that I lose my place in Edinburgh? May I also ask if the 7 day cooling off period is over does it mean my place in the university would be gone?
Reply 3
If the uni's agree then they should call UCAS for you. You won't lose your offer after the 7 day cooling off period but no one is obliged to help you like they would have during the 7 days. Call the 2 universities on Tuesday and if they agree then they should call UCAS and you will see the changes on track. However if not then you can ask Manchester to release you to your insurance which is Edinburgh so this way you will only have one offer but seeing as you don't want to go to Manchester this wouldn't make a difference anyhow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
If the uni's agree then they should call UCAS for you. You won't lose your offer after the 7 day cooling off period but no one is obliged to help you like they would have during the 7 days. Call the 2 universities on Tuesday and if they agree then they should call UCAS and you will see the changes on track. However if not then you can ask Manchester to release you to your insurance which is Edinburgh so this way you will only have one offer but seeing as you don't want to go to Manchester this wouldn't make a difference anyhow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh but the thing is that for both offer they were unconditional as I applied after my A Level results so I couldn't put an insurance choice. So what will this mean?
Reply 5
Original post by teenagegranny
Oh but the thing is that for both offer they were unconditional as I applied after my A Level results so I couldn't put an insurance choice. So what will this mean?

Oh well this will mean that you will have to do what I originally mentioned and make sure that both uni's agree to switch you. However seeing as they are both unconditional and the 7 day cooling period is over then Edinburgh are not obliged to give you your offer back so it is unlikely that the switch would work. However there is no harm in trying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Oh well this will mean that you will have to do what I originally mentioned and make sure that both uni's agree to switch you. However seeing as they are both unconditional and the 7 day cooling period is over then Edinburgh are not obliged to give you your offer back so it is unlikely that the switch would work. However there is no harm in trying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So the chances are very low that they would make the switch?
Reply 7

Yeh because The 7 day cooling period is over and Edinburgh would have probably given your place to someone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Yeh because The 7 day cooling period is over and Edinburgh would have probably given your place to someone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh but is it possible to tell them that I couldn't contact them during the cooling off period due to the weekend and holiday to increase my chances?
Reply 9
Oh but is it possible to tell them that I couldn't contact them during the cooling off period due to the weekend and holiday to increase my chances?

Yes you could tell them that. However in that case they are still not obliged to get your original first choice back. It was just a matter of bad luck that bank holiday Monday fell in your cooling off period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At this point in the year I have never heard of a case of a university not being willing to accept a student wanting to change their choices. Especially given that you are an international student with your exams already sorted out.

Call ed on Tuesday - as long as they are happy then this should be simple to sort out. Ask them if they want you to contact Manchester or if they can contact them directly.

Although they aren't obliged to honour their offer it is EXTREMELY unlikely that they would not.
Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really doesn't work like this. Please don't scare other applicants.
Original post by PQ
At this point in the year I have never heard of a case of a university not being willing to accept a student wanting to change their choices. Especially given that you are an international student with your exams already sorted out.

Call ed on Tuesday - as long as they are happy then this should be simple to sort out. Ask them if they want you to contact Manchester or if they can contact them directly.

Although they aren't obliged to honour their offer it is EXTREMELY unlikely that they would not.

Thank you so much for your reply! I was beginning to lose all hope and was starting to consider other options. Okay I shall do so and I really hope that they are able to at least hold my place for a while. Thank you again!
Reply 13
You'd have to call them both & ucas. It would probably be possible but call up to make sure
Original post by Anyaxh
You'd have to call them both & ucas. It would probably be possible but call up to make sure

Hi thank you for the reply! May I ask if I should be contacting them on Monday or Tuesday as the univeristies are open on Monday
Hi thank you for the reply! May I ask if I should be contacting them on Monday or Tuesday as the univeristies are open on Monday

Call edinburgh on Tuesday morning. It is possible they will be willing to handle everything so you save any other phone calls.

Don't call UCAS unless edinburgh say they need you to.
Original post by PQ
Call edinburgh on Tuesday morning. It is possible they will be willing to handle everything so you save any other phone calls.

Don't call UCAS unless edinburgh say they need you to.

Apparently Edinburgh wasn't able to do anything as they said it was going against UCAS guidelines because in my case I declined them in the first place and it wasn't an issue of insurance and firm choices. So they suggested I go through Extra and reapply again as they still have spaces. Do you think I should go through with it and the the risk or just go to Manchester?
Reply 17

If they're open then I don't see any problem with doing it on Monday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending