The Student Room Group

Further Maths or Psychology?

I'm at the point in my life where I need to choose my A-levels. I am doing 4 but I'm not sure about the last one. Originally I was going to choose: Biology, History, Maths with Mechanics and Psychology. My maths teacher asked me whether or not I was doing further maths at A-level and he said that he thinks I should do it. I'm now debating whether or not I should drop psychology for further maths or not. Any advice?
Further maths is typically seen as more respectable - but do what you enjoy.
Reply 2
Well, to start how much do you like maths? I mean you really need to enjoy the subject, and I think a high A* would be ideal at GCSE because it's so difficult. But if you feel you can do it.. Why not
Original post by GCSEs=Stress
I'm at the point in my life where I need to choose my A-levels. I am doing 4 but I'm not sure about the last one. Originally I was going to choose: Biology, History, Maths with Mechanics and Psychology. My maths teacher asked me whether or not I was doing further maths at A-level and he said that he thinks I should do it. I'm now debating whether or not I should drop psychology for further maths or not. Any advice?

Psychology is a useless A level (no offence). Everyone I know doing the subject at university has never done it at A level, further maths will put you in a much better position.

I spit on the idiots that pick psychology as an a-level
I do Maths Biology History and Psychology, personally I would swap out Psychology for Further Maths anyday, but my school didnt offer it and neither did anywhere locally so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
FM, hate psychology so so much.
Reply 7
Tbh some unis don't give credit if you do both maths and further maths. Psychology is good for an easy high grade in my opinion.
Reply 8
Original post by AdamCee
Well, to start how much do you like maths? I mean you really need to enjoy the subject, and I think a high A* would be ideal at GCSE because it's so difficult. But if you feel you can do it.. Why not

I always get A*s in maths and I am also doing additional maths now. As for enjoying it, I do enjoy maths enough to do further maths.
Reply 9
do nottttt make my mistake in picking psychology, it's such a waste of time, the amount of time you have to spend memorising it it terrible. But since you like history you might not find it that bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
After reading this thread, I feel I must point out that Psychology is definitely not a waste of time as everyone is saying here. It can be very useful. While some universities do not give it much rigour on its own, it can complement a set well, and will develop a nice skill-set such as evaluative abilities, essay-writing, memory techniques, which is useful for both uni and the workplace.

Whether or not each subject benefits you is down to a number of factors- your memory ability, your enjoyment levels of the subject at hand, your aspirations for universities, and your chosen subject(s). If you've got some unis in mind, take a look at their advice for A-level combinations.

Basically, don't just take the word of ignorant elitists here on TSR who like to think themselves above everyone else with their A level choices and that they are the authority on what to pick.

You're in Further Education now and it's time to think for yourself and make decisions, not just follow the crowd.
(edited 8 years ago)
you're asking TSR if you should pick further maths or psychology? surely you already know what everyone is going to say.
As someone who has taken psych I would suggest really reading into the subject and what & how you actually learn. I think it's a lot different from what people expect it to be like so a lot of people are surprised when they start. I can't say I regret taking it because it can be really interesting, but maths is obviously a useful subject, but if you're already taking maths I don't really see why you'd need to take 2 maths subjects. but if you enjoy maths then hey, why not?
Original post by TheIrrational
Further maths is typically seen as more respectable - but do what you enjoy.

I've never done psychology before and so have no idea how it is going to go. My sister did pick it for her A Levels and said it was fine but I don't know if I would enjoy it more than maths. Also only a few people select further maths so it would most likely be pretty boring. Other than this I do really enjoy maths, and I know, I probably shouldn't be choosing because of what other people choose.
I've never done psychology before and so have no idea how it is going to go. My sister did pick it for her A Levels and said it was fine but I don't know if I would enjoy it more than maths. Also only a few people select further maths so it would most likely be pretty boring. Other than this I do really enjoy maths, and I know, I probably shouldn't be choosing because of what other people choose.

Pick what you enjoy, if you enjoy maths go for it, you will love further maths.
Thanks to everyone for the responses to this question. This was my first post on here and wasn't really sure if anyone would respond. After looking at the responses and discussing it with my maths teacher, I am probably going to drop psychology for further maths. I think both sides made good arguments but I should probably just go with further maths because it is the safer option. Rather pick something that I'm confident I can do well and will enjoy, than pick a lesson that I have never studied in my life and may be boring. Thanks for the advice.
Thanks to everyone for the responses to this question. This was my first post on here and wasn't really sure if anyone would respond. After looking at the responses and discussing it with my maths teacher, I am probably going to drop psychology for further maths. I think both sides made good arguments but I should probably just go with further maths because it is the safer option. Rather pick something that I'm confident I can do well and will enjoy, than pick a lesson that I have never studied in my life and may be boring. Thanks for the advice.

No worries, best of luck!

Good choice! Further maths is great! Good luck!
Original post by TheIrrational
Good choice! Further maths is great! Good luck!

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest