The Student Room Group

Problems with my life!

I'm a 19 year old girl and I've never had a boyfriend before. All of my friends have and it's making me feel really uneasy with life. The thing is, I was a born into a really devout fundamentalist kinda Catholic family. i'm not allowed to date and have any kinda contact with any boys before marriage, not even hold hands or kiss! However, having said that I've went on secret dates recently with a guy but I had to end it after 2 days because I'm nervous of my religion and my family. I'm a very modest girl too, I cannot wear a dress or sleeveless top because my family considers it to be exposing. I'm not allowed to go clubbing either obviously whereas all my friends are and they are kinda forcing me to go clubbing with them but I don't know what to do. I recently started going to the pub with them after so much peer pressure, and now I've started drinking! I don't know what to do with my life.

Scroll to see replies

Are you complaining or seeking attention?
If complaining, leave your house and Create your own life by getting a degree
If attention seeking then you're wasting time
(edited 8 years ago)
:hi:Protestant Anglican High Tory here.

The question is what do you want. Do you believe in what your parents say or what your friend want? If you believe in what your parents say then you must do that. If you want more balance between what your friends want and parents say then do that. Though I have no friends, most people can't do what do they need friends. I can understand your position. Just be truthful and tell those in your life what you feel/want.
Reply 3
Original post by Lemauricien

I'm neither complaining nor seeking attention. I just wanted some advice on what to do cos I'm in a terrible state of mind now!

A bit harsh don't you think? It is obvious she is caught between her friends and family.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm neither complaining nor seeking attention. I just wanted some advice on what to do cos I'm in a terrible state of mind now!

:thumbsup:
Reply 6
Original post by william walker
:hi:Protestant Anglican High Tory here.

The question is what do you want. Do you believe in what your parents say or what your friend want? If you believe in what your parents say then you must do that. If you want more balance between what your friends want and parents say then do that. Though I have no friends, most people can't do what do they need friends. I can understand your position. Just be truthful and tell those in your life what you feel/want.

Well, I do want to obey my parents but at the same time I want to experience what every other girls have in their life too so I'm really confused on what to do! Thank you for understanding me. I basically just want to enjoy life! I feel really left out when I'm with my friends.
Also, aren't Protestant Anglicans allowed to date?
In my honest opinion, your family are basically oppressive.
I can imagine you're probably feeling extremely guilty for going behind their backs and disobeying their religious beliefs (religion tends to make it's subjects feel guilty...how lovely). How do you feel about the religion you're basically being forced to follow? Do you believe in it? Or has it become something you have to follow or else be persecuted by family?

It seems pretty clear anyway that you have to choose between what you want and what you're being forced into following.
Whatever you choose it isn't going to be easy, especially if you're family are as extreme as they sound.
Reply 8
Original post by SophieSmall
In my honest opinion, your family are basically oppressive.
I can imagine you're probably feeling extremely guilty for going behind their backs and disobeying their religious beliefs (religion tends to make it's subjects feel guilty...how lovely). How do you feel about the religion you're basically being forced to follow? Do you believe in it? Or has it become something you have to follow or else be persecuted by family?

It seems pretty clear anyway that you have to choose between what you want and what you're being forced into following.
Whatever you choose it isn't going to be easy, especially if you're family are as extreme as they sound.

Yeah pretty much they are but the thing is even though I don't have much freedom and stuff, I know that my family loves me. I feel like just staying at home cos I love being at home and going outside always makes me feel really really really uneasy. If I go outside I feel like I have to face my friends and stuff.
You are absolutely right, I do feel guilty and I mean it. It just hurts to know that I'm a Catholic girl and I don't have freedom cos a lot of them do. I do believe in God and my religion. In fact, I love my religion but I just want a little more freedom rather than disobeying them cos that hurts too.
Yeah hopefully when I go to Uni, I might feel better but right now, I'm taking a gap year out. I had dreams of becoming a model which I know is not possible so end of this year, I'm gonna apply to Med school! No, they are not that extreme but they are really bossy!
Yeah pretty much they are but the thing is even though I don't have much freedom and stuff, I know that my family loves me. I feel like just staying at home cos I love being at home and going outside always makes me feel really really really uneasy. If I go outside I feel like I have to face my friends and stuff.
You are absolutely right, I do feel guilty and I mean it. It just hurts to know that I'm a Catholic girl and I don't have freedom cos a lot of them do. I do believe in God and my religion. In fact, I love my religion but I just want a little more freedom rather than disobeying them cos that hurts too.
Yeah hopefully when I go to Uni, I might feel better but right now, I'm taking a gap year out. I had dreams of becoming a model which I know is not possible so end of this year, I'm gonna apply to Med school! No, they are not that extreme but they are really bossy!

Trust me, from an outsiders perspective. They are extreme.
Good luck applying to med school, hope you find what you want
Reply 10
Oh jheez
Well, I do want to obey my parents but at the same time I want to experience what every other girls have in their life too so I'm really confused on what to do! Thank you for understanding me. I basically just want to enjoy life! I feel really left out when I'm with my friends.
Also, aren't Protestant Anglicans allowed to date?

Have you explained the way you are feeling to your parents? Or your friends? That is all I can say you do, explain it to them. Try and create a compromise between the two of them which better suits you and what you want.

Yeah I get what you are feeling, I felt the same way when I was 16-17 so I ditched my friends because I didn't want to drink or have sex with anyone. I have eyes to see what people were doing and I never liked it, I prefer Protestant morality to Secular Liberalism. None of my friends where believers.

Sure Anglicans can date and have sex with protection. Though I am a High Church Anglican. So I basically support the views of the Reformed Catholic Church in England established by Henry 8th. Though I have no issue with kissing or holding hands. However full sexual contact should wait until marriage. For most Protestants it is an internal choice if you have sex or date or not. My parents are non-Conformists they have more issues with me being an Anglican. Than they do my brother not believing and have sex with loads of girls outside of marriage.

Well of course anything from an outsiders perspective will seem extreme. :smile:

Yeah I can understand what you mean.
Thank you sooo much and I hope so, fingers crossed!

that diss game though :smile:

I feel bad for the OP, it must be hard to balance being modern and adhering to traditional principles
You're feeling sexually frustrated and claustraphobic. This is both understandable and extremely common,.

You are also an adult, and therefore your own solution. The kindest thing you can do for yourself, and your family (in the long run), is rebel a little, and start to build up the confidence to secure the independence from your family that you obviously crave.
Original post by william walker
Have you explained the way you are feeling to your parents? Or your friends? That is all I can say you do, explain it to them. Try and create a compromise between the two of them which better suits you and what you want.

Yeah I get what you are feeling, I felt the same way when I was 16-17 so I ditched my friends because I didn't want to drink or have sex with anyone. I have eyes to see what people were doing and I never liked it, I prefer Protestant morality to Secular Liberalism. None of my friends where believers.

Sure Anglicans can date and have sex with protection. Though I am a High Church Anglican. So I basically support the views of the Reformed Catholic Church in England established by Henry 8th. Though I have no issue with kissing or holding hands. However full sexual contact should wait until marriage. For most Protestants it is an internal choice if you have sex or date or not. My parents are non-Conformists they have more issues with me being an Anglican. Than they do my brother not believing and have sex with loads of girls outside of marriage.

No I haven't told my parents anything but I've told my friends and they always make fun of me saying 'you need to get a life' and stuff! I want to make a balance between the two of them and I don't know how to do that.
I feel kinda trapped inside. Really? I don't think I can ditch my friends though cos I would be sooo lonely then. Oh I see! And yeah all of my friends are non believers too.
Oh okie! Oh Church of England right? Yeah I have no issues either, it's just my family. Oh I get you! Yeah that's a bit weird!
Original post by KingdomOfTheLord
that diss game though :smile:

I feel bad for the OP, it must be hard to balance being modern and adhering to traditional principles

Yeah it is pretty hard! But i guess, I'll have some kinda freedom when I go to Uni!
Original post by meowoof
You're feeling sexually frustrated and claustraphobic. This is both understandable and extremely common,.

You are also an adult, and therefore your own solution. The kindest thing you can do for yourself, and your family (in the long run), is rebel a little, and start to build up the confidence to secure the independence from your family that you obviously crave.

Oh I didn't know that it is quite common!
Yeah I guess so but I don't wanna lose my family because of me being a rebel.
Reply 19
But you're not happy in your current circumstances, really your family should let you determine your life and not force you to conform to their ideals.
Morality is a good thing as it helps us to follow the correct path when faced with difficult choices, however like all things it can go too far and be a negative, controlling influence.
I suppose I'm not helping much, but my advice is to follow your heart and live life you know :smile: (typical cliché)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending