The Student Room Group

AQA English Language Exam

Hands up for those who are well and truly ****ting it?

Even the very clever people in my friendship group are worried about this one.

I'm good at the writing side but not so good at reading Q 1-3 which have very little to do with actual English language....
Original post by Helfus
Hands up for those who are well and truly ****ting it?

Even the very clever people in my friendship group are worried about this one.

I'm good at the writing side but not so good at reading Q 1-3 which have very little to do with actual English language....

I am certainly in that position and I legit feel the urge to brawl my eyes out.
If you remember how to answer each question, it's actually pretty easy. This is what my teacher made for us;
Exam:2 hours 15 minutes
SectionA: Reading
1: 12 minutes (8 marks)What do you understand? 3x PEE Deduction and inference (Source 1) 12 Minutes
2: 12 minutes (8 marks)Presentation PEEEDEP x2/3 (Source 2) 12minutes
3: 12 minutes Thoughts& Feelings (8 marks) PEEE x3 (Source3) 12 Minutes
4: 24 minutes ComparingLanguage (16marks) PEEEWEP COMPARE x3 beginning, middle and the end. (Source3 & ?) 24 minutes
SectionB: Writing
5: 25 minutes Inform/explain/describe (16marks) 5Ws&H& SAMOSAP
6: 35 minutes Persuade/Argue(24marks) HEAR BIG REF 5Ws&H
PEE = POINT, EVIDENCE, EXPLAIN, PEEWEP = POINT, EVIDENCE, EXPLAIN, WRITERS INTENTION, EFFECT ON READER, PURPOSE, HEAR BIG REF = (Types of persuasion) HUMOUR, EXAGGERATION, ADJECTIVES, RHETORICAL QUESTIONS, BLACKMAIL, IMAGERY, GROUPS OF 3, REPETITION, EMOTIVE LANGUAGE, FLATTERY. SAMOSAP = (descriptive techniques) SENSES, ALLITERATION, METAPHOR, ONOMATOPOEIA, SIMILE, ADJECTIVES, PERSONIFICATION.
Reply 3
I'm worried too! I'm not that good at question 3 and writting about thoughts and feelings. Could you tell me some sentence starters it would really help me? ☺️🙌😋
Original post by Najma014
I'm worried too! I'm not that good at question 3 and writting about thoughts and feelings. Could you tell me some sentence starters it would really help me? ☺️🙌😋

Thoughts and feelings has to be my favourite question. You need to look through the source and pick out three quotes that show different emotions, or the writers thoughts at the time.

A couple good sentence starters for this are;

"From the source you can infer that the writer was happy/sad/confused about (whatever theme the source covers), when they describe/state/use the phrase (insert quote here).."

You can also start with your quote, which can make your writing more sophisticated;

"(insert quote here) shows that the author was concerned/worried/happy about (whatever the source is about)"

Remember you need to explain why they would have those feelings, and also identify any techniques the author may have used to show feelings.
Reply 5
Thanks! This really helped me in my revision ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending