The Student Room Group

Dress codes at colleges? (specific question)

I know most sixth forms have casual business dress codes but what about independent colleges?

I've been interested in attending a college from day one, mainly because I dislike my school and wanted to go somewhere to get a feel of independence and where you are treated like adults. I know from some people that certain courses and colleges are more lax on what you can and can't wear to classes.

The real issue I have here is that I follow a few subcultures (fairy kei, which is a japanese fashion, for anyone interested) and pretty much my entire wardrobe is just pastels. I can tone it down a lot (to just a t-shirt, skirt, tights and flats) or it can be OTT (loooots of accessories and colours). I'd just like to find out what kind of dress codes A-level colleges have here in the UK so I know what to expect and whether I should stock up on more casual clothes.

Before anyone says "just ask them", please consider how embarrassing writing out an email to a potential school just to ask if i can wear a hoodie with bear ears on would be.

Is it generally just "whatever you want" or are there exceptions (like weird subculture clothing) to the "whatever you want" rule?

Thank you!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

My older sister went to a college and she could wear whatever she wanted. You should be fine. Rock those bear ears!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually smart casual for most colleges i.e. no crop tops, short shorts etc.
Reply 4
Original post by taetiramisu
I know most sixth forms have casual business dress codes but what about independent colleges?

I've been interested in attending a college from day one, mainly because I dislike my school and wanted to go somewhere to get a feel of independence and where you are treated like adults. I know from some people that certain courses and colleges are more lax on what you can and can't wear to classes.

The real issue I have here is that I follow a few subcultures (fairy kei, which is a japanese fashion, for anyone interested) and pretty much my entire wardrobe is just pastels. I can tone it down a lot (to just a t-shirt, skirt, tights and flats) or it can be OTT (loooots of accessories and colours). I'd just like to find out what kind of dress codes A-level colleges have here in the UK so I know what to expect and whether I should stock up on more casual clothes.

Before anyone says "just ask them", please consider how embarrassing writing out an email to a potential school just to ask if i can wear a hoodie with bear ears on would be.

Is it generally just "whatever you want" or are there exceptions (like weird subculture clothing) to the "whatever you want" rule?

Thank you!

It's usually whatever you want but the only rule I had was no provocative or too revealing clothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At my college you could wear whatever. There were people who wore very short clothes and others who wore hippy / goth / skater stuff so you should be alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you'll be alright provided you're not pushing the boundaries of showing basically your whole breast apart from a nipple.

The place I went to allowed us to wear whatever provided our modesty was covered up and nothing offensive on the clothing.
My college doesn't have a dress code. You can wear anything you like.

Quick Reply

Latest