The Student Room Group

C4 CCEA May 2015

Scroll to see replies

I tried 8b and done it completely wrong, then redone it on extra paper and got the correct answer and handed in both papers although I forgot to score out my first attempt, what will happen?
Reply 41
Original post by gazastripballer
I tried 8b and done it completely wrong, then redone it on extra paper and got the correct answer and handed in both papers although I forgot to score out my first attempt, what will happen?

A few teachers have told me the marker will allow 2 attempts at a question and award marks for the one that is correct
- im sure its fine
hope you're right.
Original post by crazers
I did this last year and unfortunately was resitting I believe because of it. I think they used to me more lenient but are clamping down on it. This is from the chief examiner report from the may 2010 paper.

'Candidates have been encouraged not to cross out any work; examiners will mark each attemptand award marks for the best attempt. However, the examiners have noted that somecandidates are offering multiple choice answers and expect the examiner to pick the correctsolution. For example in Q7(a) some candidates drew both y = sin−1x and y = cosec x as theywere unsure which was the correct graph. In this case the examiner marked the first solutionand ignored the second.'

Hope it works out for you as I believe its unfair when you are showing that you can clearly do the question (reason we do exams).

Thanks. I genuinely forgot to cross out the first attempt as was rushed for time doing it correctly, hopefully the fact it was on additional paper will help as there would be no point giving it in otherwise
Has anyone got answers (and questions) from the c3 paper?
Reply 45
Has anyone got answers (and questions) from the c3 paper?

I do, but they're at home, and I'm in school. I'll post them later if I remember
Reply 46
Original post by NekoJyo
I rewrite my answers (without the working out) on my question booklet so I can discuss the answers with other people in my class and stuff, and most them here.

I liked the paper so I THINK I did well but I don't know.

1) 36.8 degrees
2) 8/3
3)a) 1/2
3)b) x-4y+7=0
4) 34.7 (3sf)
5)a) Drew the graph but didn't include a domain (I don't know if this is a problem or not)
5)b) 37.8, 142, 218, 332 (all to 3sf)
6)i) [5pi(a^3)]/3 (Pretty sure I got this wrong)
6)ii) a=12 (I imagine I will get follow through marks here)
7)i) sketched the graph and marked the point (0,0.5)
7)ii) x=-2 y=0
7)iii) f(x)<0.5 (I should have included 0<f(x))
7)iv) (x-1)/(2x-1)
7)v) (x-1)/(2x-1) (I'm pretty sure this is right, but for 4 marks who on Earth came up with that! I thought I was crazy when I first got this answer)
8)a) [(2x^3)/3]lnx-[(2x^3)/9]+c
8)b) (16-7root2)/120 (I know that this is wrong but I actually copied out my method for this and I am pretty sure it's right and I have made a mistake somewhere else - that said I know other people with the exact same answer, but I am still doubtful)

We got the answer for the 8)b) and I'm sort of hoping for full marks in that paper haha I checked online with an integration calculator and it gave the same answer though.
Reply 47
Thanks. I genuinely forgot to cross out the first attempt as was rushed for time doing it correctly, hopefully the fact it was on additional paper will help as there would be no point giving it in otherwise

See to be honest, they'll probably just ignore the right one. If you haven't crossed it out, why would they decide to give you credit for the one you have done on extra paper - which is usually assumed to be used for rough working?
Reply 48
Original post by crazers

Hope it works out for you as I believe its unfair when you are showing that you can clearly do the question (reason we do exams).

Totally disagree with that. To an examiner giving two or more answers just looks like you're not sure in what your doing, and so you've done a couple of different attempts in the hope one of them is right. To me that isn't someone who "can clearly do the question", thats someone who has a rough idea of how to do the question, and therefore deserves less credit than someone who has one direct answer.
Thanks please do
Reply 50
Thanks please do

My answer for 2)ii) is wrong. It's actually 3.
5)ii) is actually P(9,0) not P(0,9)
and 7)b)ii) is just -pi/3, not 0 or -pi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Does anyone know how much C4 usually gets scaled up or down?
Reply 52
Anyone know how much C4 usual gets scaled up/down?
I think it depends on how everyone did. If everyone found it hard and are losing a lot of marks, they will get scaled up more or will have a lower grade boundary but if everyone found it easy and is doing well, the will scale them down/higher the grade boundaries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending