The Student Room Group

Why are girls always tired and in pain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EatAndRevise
They tend to complain more.

Is that so :pierre:
Original post by bassbabe
I genuinely do feel for you men on that one :hugs:So heres a virtual hug lol

Now women are working more in stressful jobs, and men are not really doing physical labour any more, the gap is beginning to narrow. It will do so markedly in coming decades now women do not retire earlier than men. I am convinced that working patterns are a major factor, though obvs not the only one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2474859/Life-expectancy-gap-men-women-narrows-years.html

Women are now getting a taste of male privilege it seems...
Original post by scrotgrot
Now women are working more in stressful jobs, and men are not really doing physical labour any more, the gap is beginning to narrow. It will do so markedly in coming decades now women do not retire earlier than men. I am convinced that working patterns are a major factor, though obvs not the only one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2474859/Life-expectancy-gap-men-women-narrows-years.html

Women are now getting a taste of male privilege it seems...

What you say probbaly has a lot of grounding. But there is something about XX chromosomes over XY that gives women a genetic advantage at longer life.

"When a mutation of one of the genes of the X chromosome occurs, females have a second X to compensate, whereas all genes of the unique X chromosome of males express themselves, even if they are deleterious. More generally, the genetic difference between the sexes is associated with a better resistance to biological aging. Furthermore, female hormones and the role of women in reproduction have been linked to greater longevity. Estrogen, for example, facilitates the elimination of bad cholesterol and thus may offer some protection against heart disease; testosterone, on the other hand, has been linked to violence and risk taking. Finally, the female body has to make reserves to accommodate the needs of pregnancy and breast feeding; this ability has been associated with a greater ability to cope with overeating and eliminating excess food."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-is-life-expectancy-lo/

Whether it is genetic or environmental/social, evolution tends to produce the females living longer since they are needed to produce the off spring in a way males are not. Males are just there to fight it out with the environment or each other and acts as glorified sperm banks :frown: Live fast die young. I was reading about bird eating spiders today (like you do) and the males have a life span of 3-6 years where as the females have 26 years. So could be worse.

It was incredibly unfair that women used to be able to retire earlier than men considering all this. Although I would rather we all retired a bit earlier than just make women work to death as well..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What you say probbaly has a lot of grounding. But there is something about XX chromosomes over XY that gives women a genetic advantage at longer life.

"When a mutation of one of the genes of the X chromosome occurs, females have a second X to compensate, whereas all genes of the unique X chromosome of males express themselves, even if they are deleterious. More generally, the genetic difference between the sexes is associated with a better resistance to biological aging. Furthermore, female hormones and the role of women in reproduction have been linked to greater longevity. Estrogen, for example, facilitates the elimination of bad cholesterol and thus may offer some protection against heart disease; testosterone, on the other hand, has been linked to violence and risk taking. Finally, the female body has to make reserves to accommodate the needs of pregnancy and breast feeding; this ability has been associated with a greater ability to cope with overeating and eliminating excess food."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-is-life-expectancy-lo/

Whether it is genetic or environmental/social, evolution tends to produce the females living longer since they are needed to produce the off spring in a way males are not. Males are just there to fight it out with the environment or each other and acts as glorified sperm banks :frown: Live fast die young. I was reading about bird eating spiders today (like you do) and the males have a life span of 3-6 years where as the females have 26 years. So could be worse.

It was incredibly unfair that women used to be able to retire earlier than men considering all this. Although I would rather we all retired a bit earlier than just make women work to death as well..

Yeah sure I am not saying it's the only or the biggest factor. Still, no point tilting at windmills, not much that can be done about biology and you can't really say it's unfair.

I would rather we didn't race to the bottom as well, same with parental leave, but unfortunately it seems we all have to do what is profitable to the corporations.
Original post by scrotgrot
Yeah sure I am not saying it's the only or the biggest factor. Still, no point tilting at windmills, not much that can be done about biology and you can't really say it's unfair.

Not with that attitude you wont! Sod nature.

Wont be in our life time though ;(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending