The Student Room Group

Warwick gem (a101) 2016 entry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Josh-Love
Yeah a few of my friends said AR is definitely harder on Medify. They also said QR is harder but DA and VR is pretty similar. Which doesn't bode well for me and VR is my worst section.

My first Mock was okkkaaaay :cry2::s-smilie: I got an average of 650...but I really need that to be a lot higher!

When's your test?

Omg what are you talking about 650 is amazing for mocks as well. You have more time and also they say you do better in the actual test so well done!

Mine is on the 17th September
Reply 41
Original post by HCAssistant93
That is good to hear thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you ready? When is your test?
Reply 42
Original post by MJK91
Keep in mind it's completely pointless to try and judge how you'll find the test relative to Medify based on how others have done. There are 3 versions of each year's UKCAT and the one you take will be random, so at best someone can say that they thought their variant was a little harder/easier.

Doesn't mean yours will be the same!

Yeah I mean we can't rely on one persons views but what do you mean three versions? in what way are they different to one another?
Original post by lucky11
Are you ready? When is your test?

It's on the 18th! Feel ok but need to improve a bit in the QR and VR and keep the level of AR up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucky11
Yeah I mean we can't rely on one persons views but what do you mean three versions? in what way are they different to one another?

They have three different sets of questions for VR, QR and AR each year to combat plagiarism. Two different sets of DA. All questions are scored for difficulty (it gets pretty complicated statistically) and they form 3 separate exams with statistically comparable difficulty. Presumably they could also mix up the subtests to make even more combinations of exams.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%202014%20Technical%20Report%20Exec%20Summary_V1.pdf

Have a look at Table 3 for proof of that. It's an interesting read overall if you're interested at all in stats too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
It's on the 18th! Feel ok but need to improve a bit in the QR and VR and keep the level of AR up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh good luck, you got some time to improve on those still :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by MJK91
They have three different sets of questions for VR, QR and AR each year to combat plagiarism. Two different sets of DA. All questions are scored for difficulty (it gets pretty complicated statistically) and they form 3 separate exams with statistically comparable difficulty. Presumably they could also mix up the subtests to make even more combinations of exams.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%202014%20Technical%20Report%20Exec%20Summary_V1.pdf

Have a look at Table 3 for proof of that. It's an interesting read overall if you're interested at all in stats too.

Oh I see, I'm gonna have a read through it, thank you
Original post by lucky11
Oh good luck, you got some time to improve on those still :smile:

Yep hoping to! Also hoping for a good paper and a bit of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJK91

So are they all a similar difficulty or is one easy, one medium and one hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So are they all a similar difficulty or is one easy, one medium and one hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would they do the latter on a standardised test?

They're all statistically the same difficulty. Whether or not an individual finds one particular one easier is subject to interpretation, but on average it balances out.
Original post by MJK91
Why would they do the latter on a standardised test?

They're all statistically the same difficulty. Whether or not an individual finds one particular one easier is subject to interpretation, but on average it balances out.

That's what I thought I'd just read comments elsewhere that suggested otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I thought I'd just read comments elsewhere that suggested otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile

That'd be pretty mean haha, it'd make it a lottery!
Original post by MJK91
That'd be pretty mean haha, it'd make it a lottery!

I know!!

So just had a quick read and I didn't realise they only score you out of 40 for VR, 32 for QR, 50 for AR and 26 for DA? This is what they did last year! Is it being done this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know!!

So just had a quick read and I didn't realise they only score you out of 40 for VR, 32 for QR, 50 for AR and 26 for DA? This is what they did last year! Is it being done this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that's number of questions. On the same table to the right you can see min-max scores.
Original post by MJK91
No that's number of questions. On the same table to the right you can see min-max scores.

Ye that's what I mean. In the tables it gives you the average raw scores for each section and its out of those numbers? But then obviously your mark is scaled up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ye that's what I mean. In the tables it gives you the average raw scores for each section and its out of those numbers? But then obviously your mark is scaled up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they only ask you between 26-50 questions per subtest so of course they will mark you out of the number of questions you get right, since we know every question in each subtest has equal weighting. But yes, you're then scaled up based on performance against the test cohort.
Original post by MJK91
Well they only ask you between 26-50 questions per subtest so of course they will mark you out of the number of questions you get right, since we know every question in each subtest has equal weighting. But yes, you're then scaled up based on performance against the test cohort.

I think I get you but we get 44 VR , 36 QR, 55 AR and 28 DA .. But this table if the same this year means 4,4,5 and 2 questions from each section respectively are not marked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I get you but we get 44 VR , 36 QR, 55 AR and 28 DA .. But this table if the same this year means 4,4,5 and 2 questions from each section respectively are not marked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, the additional items are pre-test items that are not scored. Practice questions :smile: It states the number of scored and unscored questions in the discussion of each section. Important to read the entire document if you try and take interpretations from it. For VR, for example:

The Verbal Reasoning (VR) subtest consists of 44 items. There are 40 operational (scored) and 4 pretest (unscored) items on each form. Candidates are allowed 21 minutes to answer the 44 items. In addition, candidates are allotted one minute to read general instructions for
the subtest. SEN candidates are allotted 26 minutes plus 2 minutes of instruction time.

The 44 items in the VR subtest are grouped into 11 testlets. Each testlet has 4 items that relate to a single reading passage. Items from 10 testlets are scored; items from one testlet (designated as pretest) are not scored. Testlets are randomly sequenced for presentation to
candidates. The four items within each testlet are also randomly sequenced during administration.

Note that candidates see all four items related to a passage (i.e., within a testlet) before they are presented with another passage with its four items.
Original post by MJK91
No, the additional items are pre-test items that are not scored. Practice questions :smile: It states the number of scored and unscored questions in the discussion of each section. Important to read the entire document if you try and take interpretations from it. For VR, for example:

Lol I did read it. So you're given 44 but only marked on 40.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol I did read it. So you're given 44 but only marked on 40.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you start each section there are practice questions. That brings it up to 44 in total, but the actual test is composed of 40 marked questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending