The Student Room Group

My boyfriend is going bald... And it makes me sad

OK I feel like a horrible person for saying this but guys looks better with hair. It's very unusual for me to find a guy with some shaved head attractive.

My boyfriend of a year and a half has started to go bald quite quickly since we met, at first it was just a little bit of a receeding hairline which was no big deal. Now though the whole of the top of his head is so thin you can see his scalp. He had/has such lovely curly dark hair and now it's so sparse and looks like a combover. I KNOW it's shallow and I KNOW I shouldn't feel this way but I'm terrified that when he shaves it (he is planning to soon) that I won't find him attractive anymore. A bald head wouldn't suit him : he is skinny and kind of hipstery and nerdy looking in his style and having no hair is just going to look strange.

I love him no matter what but I just can't shake this horrible feeling of dread :frown:

Scroll to see replies

He's probably gonna be paranoid of this his whole life until he learns to accept it. If it really bothers you, leave him so that he can find someone who actually likes baldies.
You know we live in a time of hair transplants. If it bothers him as much as you, it may be something to look into?
Reply 3
Original post by !!mentor!!
You know we live in a time of hair transplants. If it bothers him as much as you, it may be something to look into?

It's something he's mentioned, but we looked into it and it's very expensive, and doesn't always work. So not an option at the moment.
If you were only attracted by his looks, you shouldn't be with him, and he shouldn't be with you.

But, I understand what you mean. I'm going pretty bald myself, have been since I was 14.

According to my doctor, 'Propecia' and 'Rogain' work really well as treatments, though I wouldn't know myself, since I never bothered with them.
A wig, havnt really thought about it too much.
Original post by Anonymous
OK I feel like a horrible person for saying this but guys looks better with hair. It's very unusual for me to find a guy with some shaved head attractive.

My boyfriend of a year and a half has started to go bald quite quickly since we met, at first it was just a little bit of a receeding hairline which was no big deal. Now though the whole of the top of his head is so thin you can see his scalp. He had/has such lovely curly dark hair and now it's so sparse and looks like a combover. I KNOW it's shallow and I KNOW I shouldn't feel this way but I'm terrified that when he shaves it (he is planning to soon) that I won't find him attractive anymore. A bald head wouldn't suit him : he is skinny and kind of hipstery and nerdy looking in his style and having no hair is just going to look strange.

I love him no matter what but I just can't shake this horrible feeling of dread :frown:

well no actually you dont.

Put yourself in his shoes, hes losing his hair (one of my personal fears) and its probably tearing him up inside.
Reply 7
Original post by silverbolt
well no actually you dont.

Put yourself in his shoes, hes losing his hair (one of my personal fears) and its probably tearing him up inside.

You can love someone without necessarily being physically attracted to them you know. He isn't that bothered by it, I think he knew it was coming as both his dad and older brother went bald young, he is only really keeping his longer hair for me now - if it were up to him he'd have shaved it all off months ago.
Original post by !!mentor!!

Probably can't afford it.

It's something he's mentioned, but we looked into it and it's very expensive, and doesn't always work. So not an option at the moment.

Ah thought so. How does it actually work?
I thought it was just sewing hair in...?

Original post by whydoidothis?
A wig, havnt really thought about it too much.

Reply 9
In 10 years time he'll probably look way better than you anyway. Everyone knows women age like milk.
You can love someone without necessarily being physically attracted to them you know. .

Really isn't true
Reply 11
If it's the beginning, there are a few things he could try (before a hair transplant).

I am using them and they're working like a miracle now.

If you want to know more, just PM.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
It happens. Either deal with it or continually swap for someone younger.
Original post by Olon
In 10 years time he'll probably look way better than you anyway. Everyone knows women age like milk.
Yeah don't remember her asking about her balding lesbian partner...
Reply 14
Original post by Olon

Yep. Karma.
It's natural. You're repulsed by his bad genes. But look at it this way; how must he feel? If you leave him he will probably never have anyone who fancies him back who isn't ugly.
Damn, yea its unfortunate for men loads of them go bald with age which can significantly lower their attractiveness. Maybe you and he will get used to it though with time it doesnt have to ruin a relationship. Just think you can cut your hair short without him complaining :tongue:
Original post by Olon

Correction white women - everyone knows black don't crack B]
Reply 18
Correction white women - everyone knows black don't crack B]

Lol, why did you go anonymous for this?
If I had a boyfriend, I would love him unconditionally.

(even though I do hate bald heads).

Latest

Trending

Trending