The Student Room Group

Might a good body counterbalance negative physical features?

I’m a guy who’s balding… and i’m just 20. Luckily, i’m tall (6’3) and in good shape, but honestly confidence is been deteriorating since i realized i was losing my hair and girls never really notice me. My jawline is average and generally nothing about my face (apart from my eyes) stand out.

Any suggestions or opinions?
Reply 1
A lot of TSR men posting about losing their hair at a young age, what's in the water?

No one has it all but if you're insecure about balding, look into getting hair transplant.
Reply 2
Original post by xox416
A lot of TSR men posting about losing their hair at a young age, what's in the water?

No one has it all but if you're insecure about balding, look into getting hair transplant.

stress really influences it, but it’s mostly genetic.

I don’t see guys balding at my age, honestly. At 25? Maybe… at 30? Way more common.

Hair transplant lasts a short period of time, and you got to take certain products. It’d probably be my last choice, but ofc my current situation doesn’t help
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a guy who’s balding… and i’m just 20. Luckily, i’m tall (6’3) and in good shape, but honestly confidence is been deteriorating since i realized i was losing my hair and girls never really notice me. My jawline is average and generally nothing about my face (apart from my eyes) stand out.

Any suggestions or opinions?

Just accept the inevitable, embrace it and go for the razor... it worked for the likes of Vin Diesel, Bruce Willis etc. And before someone says "But they're rich and famous yada yada", go round any town centre, shopping mall etc. there are lots of young bald guys around town with attractive women.

It's all about self-confidence... if your eyes are attractive, then it'll put more focus on them as there's no hair to distract. At the very least, it'll make you look "Ard" :wink:

Spoiler

(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Just accept the inevitable, embrace it and go for the razor... it worked for the likes of Vin Diesel, Bruce Willis etc. And before someone says "But they're rich and famous yada yada", go round any town centre, shopping mall etc. there are lots of young bald guys around town with attractive women.

It's all about self-confidence... if your eyes are attractive, then it'll put more focus on them as there's no hair to distract.

Spoiler

yeah sure they’re famous, rich and handsome… so i never really understood why they’re often referred to as the “guys that should make you feel better about balding”, as if we’re all like them.

Anyway, yeah i’ve seen lots of bald guys dating… and that kind of helps. The problem is that they’re often men in their late 20s/early 30s… while i see nobody being in the same situation as me at my age, and i honestly fear it will worsen the way i see myself during these years.
yeah sure they’re famous, rich and handsome… so i never really understood why they’re often referred to as the “guys that should make you feel better about balding”, as if we’re all like them.

Well didn't you say in your original post that you had other stuff going for you (e.g. you're tall, in good shape etc.)? There are people far worse off than you, Try seeing the glass as 1/2 full instead of 1/2 empty ffs.

Anyway, yeah i’ve seen lots of bald guys dating… and that kind of helps. The problem is that they’re often men in their late 20s/early 30s… while i see nobody being in the same situation as me at my age, and i honestly fear it will worsen the way i see myself during these years.

I stand by what I said earlier on, it's all about self-confidence. If you embrace it and carry yourself tall and proud, then I'm sure most girls won't care. There's nothing wrong with trying it once and see how you get on (Gone are the days when a skinhead signified a particular political allegiance.. a lot of ravers voluntarily shave their heads as well).

If you're really self conscious about it, remember the longer you grow your hair, the more obvious it'll be that you're receding. The golden rule is that once you've lost 1/3 of your hair, go for the shortest style that you're comfortable with.

IMHO, it's only balding is only truly cringe when you try and cover it up (e.g. the tragic "combover" or a really bad toupee)

Stop comparing yourself to others. Be the best you that you can be.
Right now there's too much negativity in your soul.
Reply 7
You already answered it, "and girls never really notice me". Some people are attractive, others are not. That's how it works
Reply 8
Maybe try TikTok for some tips. It's quite good for finding new stuff out. The new google lol.
If none of that has worked and you're still insecure about it, maybe try them wigs that some barbers do? They make it look really natural too.
And if you're not happy with that/don't want to do that then maybe look into hair transplants?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending