The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure I've read something on the fact that Philosophy grads in non-Philosophy fields tend to get paid a little more, something to do with employers valuing the ability to think critically and form logical arguments. That makes sense to me, I can see how philo would make you a more complete individual.
Original post by -Gifted-
Economics.

Is a social science.
Original post by Gabrielxucram
What is a useful degree for you? Uni is not about getting a job. It is about learning. No degree is useless as long as you use it. Not just professionally, but also intellectually.

That's probably what you've been told. It's not like that in the real world. Most people don't have the luxury of resting on their laurels studying a mickey mouse degree. They usually regret no being more realistic and doing a proper degree when they are flipping burgers in Mac Donalds because they cannot get a proper job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hashim123
I'm pretty sure I've read something on the fact that Philosophy grads in non-Philosophy fields tend to get paid a little more, something to do with employers valuing the ability to think critically and form logical arguments. That makes sense to me, I can see how philo would make you a more complete individual.

Paid more than whom? In what jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
That's probably what you've been told. It's not like that in the real world. Most people don't have the luxury of resting on their laurels studying a mickey mouse degree. They usually regret no being more realistic and doing a proper degree when they are flipping burgers in Mac Donalds because they cannot get a proper job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If one has passion and talent it doesn't matter what degree they get they will likely get a job. Any degree has at least job prospects in academia so it's not like there aren't any jobs out there. Granted, if a person wants job stability he or she may want to get a degree in Econ instead of Viking Studies, YET a degree which does not give you instant money is not a 'Mickey mouse' degree. This undermines the actual goal of education: to educate. Not to give jobs. Why do you think that if a degree does not give money it is a degree not worth studying? If we follow that logic we might as well all study econ, medicine, or engineering. Education is there to educate...

Don't waste 1/3 of your life for money... Do what you love and you'll be fine.
Original post by cherryred90s
There is nothing wrong with doing humanities.....

Oh please. Stop possessing the kid. You know humanities = 3/4 year university vacation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You people should stop giving OP suggests as to regard the tittle. This person is young if he does a humanities degree he will regret it when his 30y/o flipping burgers. Im blaming his parents here(how can u allow your kid to do humanities). He shouldn't even have done A-levels humanities in thr first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Can't tell if Asanda is just a typical STEM loving moron or a really bad troll.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Imagine the comments I'll get when ill be studying ancient Greek and German at Cambridge. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will be making people fall off chairs for the rest of your life mate!! :biggrin:
Difficult languages (e.g. Russian/Arabic/Chinese)/Law/PPE.
Original post by AsandaLFC
Oh please. Stop possessing the kid. You know humanities = 3/4 year university vacation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're wrong. Have you even looked at the work prospects? Don't speak on something you know nothing about. There's many things you can become including a teacher/professer, criminologist, lawyer, health/clinical/forensic psychologist, counsellor, social worker, police officer, accountant and journalism to name a few.
The good thing about doing a humanities course is that you're not boxed in to one profession, you still have variety to became anything you want.
Do your research before making stupid assumptions.
(edited 8 years ago)
You people should stop giving OP suggests as to regard the tittle. This person is young if he does a humanities degree he will regret it when his 30y/o flipping burgers. Im blaming his parents here(how can u allow your kid to do humanities). He shouldn't even have done A-levels humanities in thr first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks for telling us that no one succeeds with Humanities. We'll just forget the hundreds of well known people that have done so because you've decided otherwise.

What do you study?
I'd bet something like accounting and finance (most likely) or physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can his parents let him do humanities? Maybe because they love their child and want him to do something that he's good at, something that he enjoys, something he can excel at perhaps? You'd rather have your kid do a subject they dislike and thus be unhappy for the rest of their adult life?
Reply 73
I have worked in recruitment for 2years now.
Humanity degrees are becoming more widely recognised as a harder degree, due to the transferable skills. You are not regurgitating info, you are not ticking boxes or answering one word answers- you have to interpret information and write coherent essays using information you've selected and back your own argument up.
It is generally harder to get top marks at these degrees due to the fact that it is quite subjective...at my Uni the highest you could get in an assessed essay was 85.
I studied humanities and sciences at A-level, got A*s in the humanities and A in sciences, I revised less for chemistry and physics because it was much easier to learn.
Getting an A* at English literature is quite difficult due to the fact that you have to present new knowledge or original ideas.
I'm not knocking anyone who did science, but I have turned away individuals who got A* in sciences for those who got A in humanities/arts because the science ones don't really know how to think for themselves, and their written communication skills are not great...interpretative skills which you can apply to areas you are not familiar with is what I look for.
Reply 74
Also- I went to oxford to do a humanities degree and now i work as a museum curator and engagement officer at a highly regarded museum so humanities are definitely valuable.
Not everyone can do a humanities degree- you have to be able to think for yourself!
Original post by TheWaffle
You will be making people fall off chairs for the rest of your life mate!! :biggrin:

You know I was joking right? In response to another guy's post?
This is exactly my degree, French and International Relations!
None they are all as useless as each other
Do a degree you enjoy,whos cares if it is science or humanities?would you pay £9000 a year for somehing you didnt enjoy doing? I love languages and international affairs, it may not get me a job as a surgeon earning well paid salaries but its somehing I can find a job with and I am more passionate about
Original post by harry_
I went to oxford to do a humanities degree and now i work as a museum curator and engagement officer...

Your intention: positive testimony
Their reception: cautionary tale

For these kids that's a shrunken head on a sharpened stake.

Latest

Trending

Trending