The Student Room Group

Help toning up body?

Hiya. I'm 19 and i want to tone up. I wouldn't say i need to lose any weight, just tone up my belly.
I have started to go running, which I really enjoy but im struggling with the eating side.
I have bought a meal replacement shake which i plan to use for breakfast because i don't eat breakfast...

Am i going about this correctly?
no such thing as toning
why would you substitute breakfast for a shake?
if you want to 'tone' up your belly (no such thing) then build up your abs by training them hard, no amount of shakes will do that for you
Reply 2
I'm not substituting breakfast. I tend not to eat breakfast. At least this way I am having something.
breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I used to skip it too but then I'd get hungry really early. I noticed that having a good breakfast means you feel full longer and it also helps your skin so don't skip you breakfast. If you want to get a well toned stomach I suggest you search for some good and easy to do exercises. I'm kind of trying to shape up my body too and I know why you'd ask to tone down your stomach ( seriously its the hardest to lose)
I'm looking for some good exercise routines too, I'll practice them for a week and if I get good results I'll note you the details too.
You want to set out a rough meal plan in which you limit your intake of carbs. Set out a meal for breakfast, one for lunch, one for dinner and then a dessert as well. Make sure these are the healthier options when choosing food.
As for exercise I'd recommend you continue running whilst maybe mixing it up a little bit? Do some interval training and/or some bodyweight exercises. Read the FAQ on here and anything else just pop me a message :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by mlimbo_
Hiya. I'm 19 and i want to tone up. I wouldn't say i need to lose any weight, just tone up my belly.
I have started to go running, which I really enjoy but im struggling with the eating side.
I have bought a meal replacement shake which i plan to use for breakfast because i don't eat breakfast...

Like the above said, Toning is real. but assuming I know what you mean:
Toning=losing body fat and gaining muscle
i.e. you need to go on diet to lose fat, and hit the gym hard to build muscle.
If you're not fat, or don't have belly fat you're trying to lose (i.e. somewhat skinny or petite already) , then I don't advise going on a diet, just stick to the gym

If you just go on a diet you wont get toned, you just get skinny. So gym is essential in getting toned. I ain't talking about those 5 minute home workouts. You need to go to the gym and do compound exercises like squats, dead-lifts, bench press. Also need to need accessory exercises to build muscle:
I suggest searching on youtube;
Nikki Blackketter
Jazmine Garcia
Cath Bastien
Lainey Bopster
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mlimbo_

Look into somthing like british military fitness and do 3 sessions/week.
Have a look at the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

You have 2 options - lose weight and hence become more "toned"

Or stay the same weight/ gain a bit and add muscle

Doing lots of ab exercises will be of very limited use to you

Quick Reply

Latest