The Student Room Group

Urgent help needed on eduqas anthology

Hi, i am at a point where it's a week before my english lit gcse and i know about 3 poems out of 18. I want to prioritise other subjects more, but i still want at least a 7 so are there any tips on how to revise the poetry or a few poems that i can skip and cut corners around? My board is wjec eduqas.
Original post by obligatory-sumbi
Hi, i am at a point where it's a week before my english lit gcse and i know about 3 poems out of 18. I want to prioritise other subjects more, but i still want at least a 7 so are there any tips on how to revise the poetry or a few poems that i can skip and cut corners around? My board is wjec eduqas.

for each poem memorise around 3-5 really perfect topic sentences and waffle the rest based on that. If those are really impeccable it will work. I do this when i don't have much time and I always get around 23/25 out of 25.
Original post by riotdontdenyit
for each poem memorise around 3-5 really perfect topic sentences and waffle the rest based on that. If those are really impeccable it will work. I do this when i don't have much time and I always get around 23/25 out of 25.

but then what about the quotes for the poems? i know like basically none
Original post by obligatory-sumbi
but then what about the quotes for the poems? i know like basically none

Depends on which board. I love poetry prof as they have the most in-depth and original ones the other websites usually repeat the same basic things. Wait I'll show u one of mine its rlly rough but yes. you'll do great dw just like make sure you can make some not-basic inferences yk

11. Elizabeth Thomas-The Forsaken Wife
Intro
This poem reflects on the manner in which English society controlled women in the 18th century, attacking the unfaithful man.
Thomas reveals thoughts which are concealed under the mask of propriety that society forced women into, limiting what their actions and words
With the context of Thomas being known to write about women's issues, she seems to be making a wider point about the way in which women were historically treated by men.
Thomas details a husband who has abandoned the narrator without even leaving a parting word of kindness
Body
Form
Although the narrator expresses her twangs of passion and anger, she does so in a rather monotonous tone as she does so in a regular AABB rhyme which is unwaveringly carried until the end.
The spondee at the opening foot of the second stanza draws emphasis to him being this “cruel man”, auditory effect from the adjacent exclamation mark
Rhyming couplets reminiscent of the binary conventions of man and woman and their legal union through marriage
Meaning and message
Reader jolted into poem as she says “methings’, ironic and foreshadows irony to come
He could not impart “one pitying look, one parting word”, questioning his lack of morality and “humanity”
She ruminates on why he left her and instead of blaming herself for his lack of compassion she is driven to a place of resentment, aggravation
Says she “is not blind” and is even more angered by the simple assumption that she would be foolish enough to overlook his infidelity
Hysteria…husband chose another woman’s touch over hers
Claims her “preminence”, stating how her adherence to him will remain constant, not exactly to him but to the archaic institution of marriage
In the third stanza her attitude changes, employing a dramatic monologue and directly speaking to his absent character
Wants to “see a man that dares be true”-to love her the way she loves
Inferred that she has been deserted by men before as she switches from this specific man to the general perfidy of the sex all having failed her
Refers to herself as “wife”, in the face of such adversity. Proving how a woman's identity was so strongly bound to who she was married to and she cannot depart that devotion
Poetic elements
Volta as she says “yet” as she is determined to rise above his pettiness, the modal verb of “will” in the imperative marks her devotion to their one sided relationship
“Can’t afford”-signifies his mental poverty as she holds his “humanity” as a “due” since he was so incapable of kind parting words before their estrangement
Plosive alliteration seen through “pitying”, and “parting” lends a confrontational and recriminatory tone towards him, the plosives expelling air as they are said and physically manifesting her pent up anger
Through the transferred epithet of “rigid hate”, she personifies his abhorrence
Conclusion
Thomas can be said to be emasculating her husband as she uses possessive nouns like “own” and “claim”, harking back to the antiquated notion of man owning woman
By the end, the subtle rhyme changes and half rhymes subside as she collects her bruised hearts and ties up her thoughts with the empowering thought that she is “superior” to him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending