The Student Room Group

UK Muslim society wants forced sex segregation in UK universities

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they have wanted this for a while haven't they?
my question would be why?
They aren't going to get it. Quite frankly they can go **** themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They tried something like this in Ireland and everyone told where to shove the idea.
I think its stupid and kinda extreme
Here we go again. These people are a MINORITY. Their voices are nothing compared to the rest of the Muslim population in the UK. Thus, prepare for nothing.

Just like every good thing has it's share of bad (extremism in this case), Islam does too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Link to the study or article?
Reply 8
Ive posted a link but its still being moderated, however put the title into YouTube and you will see it.
Original post by SoWhatNow?
Opinions?

Who is this "UK Muslim society"? Are they an elected body representative of all UK Muslims? I have lots of Muslim friends male and female and neither want separate classes.
I have realized why should we respect the wishes of these people when some of them don't even have the courtesy of listening to others views.

When I suggested to my Islamic Society that they should make their events more accessible for women by encouraging them to sit at the front and making it known men don't own the front rows this caused a massive back lash and resulted in personal attacks being made against me and sexist comments like 'women tempt men and women will distract men from the talk' being made.

I only suggested this after a girl on told me she feels intimated sitting at the front because men hog the front seats right from the beginning and then look down on them if they take front seats.

We should be pro choice....

The question of whether we should respect the choice of Muslim students to segregate their audiences in Islamic Society events is nonsense. Their choice should only extend to themselves not others, in no way should they be at liberty to impose their ideas on others!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LivngForSummer
Who is this "UK Muslim society"? Are they an elected body representative of all UK Muslims? I have lots of Muslim friends male and female and neither want separate classes.

I thing it is referring to Islamic societies. they operate under university student unions and they are elected.

I don't think they should be at liberty to impose segregation see my post above for my reasoning.
Original post by SoWhatNow?
Opinions?

Do they want sex segregation throughout the whole university at all times including non-Muslims, lectures, events, tutorials etc?

Where is the article on this?
Reply 13
I'm atheiest and I completely agree with them.
Stupid extremists and thier stupid f**king idiots
Reply 15
This is the UK, the laws are different here than in majority Muslim countries. I wouldn't dream of going into a majority Muslim country and asking them to change their laws just to suit me and a minority of people. So why should they do it here? As far as I'm concerned if they don't like our current laws they can go to a country that has laws that suit them. Anyway, it's only a small minority and it is very unlikely that it will actually happen.
I know the ins and outs of muslim societies in unis, the majority of people who go there look for boyfriends/girlfriends. So why do they want segregated classes when they don't have segregated societies? Dual Standards
Reply 17
I think that they are within there rights to have this in lectures etc, however only if the entire class wants this. If there is a single person in that room that isn't a Muslim or doesn't want this rule, then everyone should have a choice where to sit.
Original post by Gladiator12345
I know the ins and outs of muslim societies in unis, the majority of people who go there look for boyfriends/girlfriends. So why do they want segregated classes when they don't have segregated societies? Dual Standards

Seriously?! In the Islamic Society?
Original post by Raymat
Seriously?! In the Islamic Society?

Yes the islamic societies in unis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending