The Student Room Group

Which a level combonation should i pick for Economics out of these 3?

I want to do an economics degree and i have three pathways in mind

1st maths,further maths physics economics (drop physics or further maths depending which is harder-this pathway seems a bit too narrow)

2nd maths french economics computing (drop computing at AS-i think a language maybe useful and this pathway keeps options open i should think)

3rd maths chemistry physics economics(drop chem or physics at AS depending on difficulty-this one i think opens more doorways too)

which pathway should i pick as i am predicted A* in maths and As in science and french
All of your pathways are impressive and all will get you on to an economics degree. It sounds like you have your heart set on a Maths subject and a Science subject as well as Economics, so I would go with the second pathway, so you can include something a bit different in there to show that you are well rounded academically.

However...

A word of warning - I picked Economics, German, Maths and Theatre Studies at AS-Level, and dropped German this year. Language A-Levels are not for the faint hearted! I got two A*s at GCSE in German and Spanish, yet scraped a C in my AS year. It's difficult, and you have to put way more work in than I did! If you think you'll be okay with this then great, but if not, why not take a 'softer' subject such as Psychology, PE or Theatre?

As a general rule, I think two 'hard' subjects, a 'soft' subject and an arty subject are the way to go. Economics and Maths are obviously hard, French is arty (and hard!!) so if you've definitely got your mind made up on Economics you might not need a science? Something to think about anyway. Hope I helped (and haven't completely confused you!)
Original post by youreanutter
I want to do an economics degree and i have three pathways in mind

1st maths,further maths physics economics (drop physics or further maths depending which is harder-this pathway seems a bit too narrow)

2nd maths french economics computing (drop computing at AS-i think a language maybe useful and this pathway keeps options open i should think)

3rd maths chemistry physics economics(drop chem or physics at AS depending on difficulty-this one i think opens more doorways too)

which pathway should i pick as i am predicted A* in maths and As in science and french

You will potentially be disadvantaged applying for economics without further mathematics, it is not required but highly recommend, hence option 1 is most likely the best, alternatively do Maths, Further Maths, Economics + 1 subject of your choice. If you really want to secure your university offers further maths will aid greatly in it and some very top universities just expect it of you even if it is not required. Remember, half your degree is going to be maths. Not to mention, if you change your mind and decide you really like Physics or really like Maths you would be able to apply to either with those A level choices. I do those 4 A levels though I regret not dropping Economics to AS.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
You will potentially be disadvantaged applying for economics without further mathematics, it is not required but highly recommend, hence option 1 is most likely the best, alternatively do Maths, Further Maths, Economics + 1 subject of your choice. If you really want to secure your university offers further maths will aid greatly in it and some very top universities just expect it of you even if it is not required. Remember, half your degree is going to be maths. Not to mention, if you change your mind and decide you really like Physics or really like Maths you would be able to apply to either with those A level choices. I do those 4 A levels though I regret not dropping Economics to AS.

howcomes u regret it
and what did u get at gcse for each and what r u on course for now
Original post by youreanutter
howcomes u regret it
and what did u get at gcse for each and what r u on course for now

You have asked me this before.

5A* 3A's 1B 1C, on track for A*A*A*A (will probably get A*A*AB though as I spend all my time doing maths) and doing maths at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest