The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In regards to the talk about student finance.

I do believe that parents from high-income families should be making some sort of contribution to their child's living cost. Does it make them a 'bad parent' if they don't? No it doesn't - there's always the option for work with your studies. However, at the end of the day you are your parents child and you always will be - they should be a part in your future decisions and this is one of them. The reason that low-income households get more of the loan/grant money is because their parents physically cannot afford to contribute to their child's education to the same amount that a high-income household can - a high-income household could if they wanted to, whereas a low-income household simply cannot.

I understand that each situation differs but I don't understand why a high-income household would not be willing to contribute SOMETHING to their child's education and living costs, so that they can be in a similar job position/income by the end of university. They've paid for food, clothing and considerably pricey gifts for their child - why not convert that into money for their child to live at university, it'll probably be cheaper too. Even low-income households have paid for their child's food, clothing and gifts but will have most likely spent less money doing so - can a high-income household not spare buying less or getting slightly lower grade food types to contribute to something so important as their child's education? Even my parents - who are low-income - have said they will contribute to living costs if I should need it. For example, my mum's saved up in order to cover the costs of accommodation at the start of the year, because the university offers a 5% discount if it's all paid in full, and I will then pay her back the costs each term - a lot of low-income households would not be able to afford this, so I'm lucky in that respect. It's about compromise for the benefit of your children, your parents have done it as you've grown-up so they should still be able to do it now - you are still their child. If low-income households are willing to personally contribute to their child's living costs, even with the extra loan money/grants, then a high-income household should be willing to do the same when their child receives less in comparison.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mitzy09
4 days?? Seriously?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They get results a week before results day or the Sunday before.
So almost 50% of TSR users viewing the thread think they've got AAA or higher... :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SuperSah
They get results a week before results day or the Sunday before.

They don't get the results, they kind of have access to them :biggrin:
Original post by SCAR H
Any prediction on C1 C2 grade boundaries?
Last year it was
C1 64
C2 60

59/60 for C1, and 62 for C2.
Original post by BigW1098
What was full ums for c3 and an a for c4, thanks

You have to calculate this yourself, and can only do this when you know the boundary for an A. Full UMS is 3 x A*boundary - 2 x A boundary :smile:
Anyone doing Edexcel AS biology? Predictions for an A for unit 1 and 2?
Who wants to cry with me?
I need AAB to do Film and Literature at Warwick, and if I get, i'll be happy!
Do you think they are scaling the grade boundaries as we speak!
Original post by kirsty953
Firstly, I would disagree entirely that my parents are being 'spoilt and greedy'. They have worked hard throughout their lives to earn this money. In fact, we were once considered a low income family, until my mum took on an access course on top of a full-time job enabling her to go to uni to to allow her to do the job she is doing now. She worked hard to achieve this with no financial support whatsoever. I am now hoping to start uni, why should I go to her and demand she spends what little money she has left over from our rent and other bills on me? I am not selfish or greedy and I am willing to work alongside uni (just as my mum once did) to pay my own way, not demand that my parents to pay everything for me.

I'm glad that you realize the Government isn't made of money. I don't expect them to pay me more, I am willing to earn it myself. I would much rather the money be spent somewhere else, a reason I support the decision to scrap the grants and increase the loan. Why shouldn't we pay it back? Why should we get free money? What I don't understand is why those on a low income get paid so much more. If two students have the same expenses (same accomodation, same course), why should one get paid 3k+ more than the other, simply because of their parents income?! I understand they may need slightly more to live on, but the differences are huge. It isn't simply black or white, low income or middle income. You can't generalize everyone in 'middle class' as having enough money to pay 3k towards their child's education

This is what I've been trying to say, thanks for explaining it in a way I couldn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 123456789012
59/60 for C1, and 62 for C2.

You think C1 was harder?
Id say
C1 62
C2 58
Original post by games211

lol, what do you exactly mean? :tongue:
Original post by games211

Already been done weeks ago
I am assuming that they would have marked all the exam papers by now?
Original post by SCAR H
Already been done weeks ago

I wouldn't think so. The grade boundaries are the last thing done
Original post by KimonoMyHouse
I am assuming that they would have marked all the exam papers by now?

Papers are marked as soon as a week after papers are written.
Tips on what to say when ringing the universities if you haven't met your offer?
Original post by Deadeye
Papers are marked as soon as a week after papers are written.

According to the AQA website, the marking period lasts about 12 weeks (GCSE's and A levels), so for A levels It would maximum take about 6 weeks
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
According to the AQA website, the marking period lasts about 12 weeks (GCSE's and A levels), so for A levels It would maximum take about 6 weeks

I'm speaking for Edexcel, it may differ accordingly.

Latest