The Student Room Group

Was my Doctor correct in refusing me the pill again?

I've recently come off Dinatte, a pill I was on for around 3 years for acne. Three months after coming off it, it has come back in more places than it was before :frown:

This is beginning to eat away at my confidence, for years I haven't had to worry about how my skin looks and now it feels as if I'm back to square one.

Here's the problem - my mother has the Bracca 2 gene and had breast cancer. Since moving house I have a new doctor and I told her about the cancer issues, (having told my doctor this for reasons not acne related) she now won't let me back on any pill until I've had a test to see if I have it.

Is this right? I don't feel prepared to take the test but not I feel like I have to otherwise my skin problem isn't going to get any better. The pill is the only thing that has worked for me, so I know it's a hormonal issue that cannot be solved with normal medication.

Should I seek another Doctor's advice??

I'm currently on antibiotics but feeling rather hopeless. Given health risks of Dinatte, I shouldn't have been on it for that long but my previous doctor didn't seem to see it as a problem. My previous doctor also knew about my mother's cancer and gene.
I think its good that she is checking before giving it to you. She only wants to make sure you are safe and not at risk. Hopefully the results will come back soon and youll be able to start the pill again.
I had severe acne for 6 years so I understand your pain
Reply 2
Original post by derma2019
I think its good that she is checking before giving it to you. She only wants to make sure you are safe and not at risk. Hopefully the results will come back soon and youll be able to start the pill again.
I had severe acne for 6 years so I understand your pain

I haven't taken the test, even if I do take it, it will be ages until I know, especially since you have to go through counselling. I'm not sure whether I'm prepared for that.
Considering the pill can increase your risk i think your doctor is just being careful. You can always seek a second opinion if you want to, but as dianettes one of the pills you shouldnt been on for more than a few months you could hear the same from another doctor.
Yes you're doctor is in the right being cautious. You can seek a second opinion, but honestly even if you don't want find out if you have the gene it is still best to avoid any medications that can increase the chances of cancers related to the genes.

You may just have to find an alternative acne treatment, im sorry.
Original post by Anonymous
I've recently come off Dinatte, a pill I was on for around 3 years for acne. Three months after coming off it, it has come back in more places than it was before :frown:

This is beginning to eat away at my confidence, for years I haven't had to worry about how my skin looks and now it feels as if I'm back to square one.

Here's the problem - my mother has the Bracca 2 gene and had breast cancer. Since moving house I have a new doctor and I told her about the cancer issues, (having told my doctor this for reasons not acne related) she now won't let me back on any pill until I've had a test to see if I have it.

Is this right? I don't feel prepared to take the test but not I feel like I have to otherwise my skin problem isn't going to get any better. The pill is the only thing that has worked for me, so I know it's a hormonal issue that cannot be solved with normal medication.

Should I seek another Doctor's advice??

I'm currently on antibiotics but feeling rather hopeless. Given health risks of Dinatte, I shouldn't have been on it for that long but my previous doctor didn't seem to see it as a problem. My previous doctor also knew about my mother's cancer and gene.

problem is we live increasingly in an age of trial by daily wail.
So if you doctor gives you the pill and you then get cancer aged 30 then it MUST be the doctors fault.

Everyday people die from blood clots. but a girl dies froma blood clot days/weeks after starting the pill and it is the fault of the doctors (see recent news).
Reply 6
Shes doing the right thing, she's probably concerned about blood clots in addition, its more common that expected.

In terms of the acne, there's a number of antibiotics that can be tried, Erythromycin, Doxycyline, Lymecyline etc, try them before going on the pill.. If they fail there are topical alternatives, Treclin, Panoxyl, Zineryt and Duac.
As there other alternatives and taking into account the BRCA mutation in the family history, I'd say your doctor is doing the right thing.

Remember he/she went to medical school for 5 years and then spent years on top of that to actually become a GP, have some faith.

Quick Reply

Latest