The Student Room Group
University of York
York
I'm going to apply to York but I'm going to apply to do English/Philosophy joint; purely because I don't have a language. I do enjoy philosophy, I'd just rather do straight English.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Yes, I was offred joint, but really want to do single Eng. Always wanted to learn Lang, so I guess now is the time eh?

Have you been to the Uni yet? What do think?
How about Anglo Saxon? You're not expected to have prior knowledge and it's not even really a foreign language as such.
Reply 4
I was wondering about that, and the 'old Norse'. In fact that was my justification for keeping my application open. Have you studied the module? How does it compare to studying the more 'usual' (if that is the best way to describe it) aspects of the course?
Wezmo
I was wondering about that, and the 'old Norse'. In fact that was my justification for keeping my application open. Have you studied the module? How does it compare to studying the more 'usual' (if that is the best way to describe it) aspects of the course?

I'm doing French actually. Currently it consists of a two hour class every week discussing the likes of Baudelaire, Verlaine and Rimbaud. I love it because I enjoy French and it's well taught.

You would, I think, do 2 hours a week from second year onwards and then in your final year two terms where you have a seminar a week and then exams.

They're pretty hot on AS and Norse here I believe.
Reply 6
Thanks, it sounds like they don't leave you adrift then (which is what I feared). I suppose if I were honest, I would (choice decision and grades permitting) decide upon my Lang aspect prior to starting and make for lost time. From the posts however, it seems Anglo Saxon would be more suitable?
Well, what are your current/prospective grades and in which language(s)?
Reply 8
you can pick up a language ab initio in the first year with the languages for all programme
Reply 9
englishstudent
Well, what are your current/prospective grades and in which language(s)?

hmmm prospective is too ambitious a word....I only study Literature, hence my anxiety. I suppose The Anglo Saxon 'no prior knowledge' option is my only (realistic) option?
Reply 10
peachmelba
you can pick up a language ab initio in the first year with the languages for all programme

Thanks, scrolling York web pages now, would you rate is as an effective intro?
Can't speak from personal experience as i'm continuing french from gcse. But my classes seem good so far.

Anglo saxon sounds brill tho'

Latest

Trending

Trending