The Student Room Group

English literature

Hi, I’m currently in year twelve and I’m interested in studying English literature at university. However, I achieved a grade six in English language last year and this is one of my lower grades. I’d like to know what my options are. Should I retake my English gcse? If so, how would I do that? For context I did get a grade 8 in English literature, but I’m interested Cambridge.
I mean, if you have the funds/time/opportunity/effort/etc. to retake Eng Lang, it wouldn't hurt. That said, my understanding (if anyone sees this and can correct me here please do!) is that one 'bad' (a 6 is a strong pass, don't forget!) grade isn't the end of the world. Certainly when it came to my application (I did languages) I got a 5 in Maths for instance Cambridge has a very holistic application process (that is, they look at everything: your GCSE grades; your current predicted grades; your attitude and compatibility at interview; any extenuating circumstances at the time of interview/exams, past and present, to name a few) and if you're able to demonstrate a strong ability and enthusiasm for English Lit I would say you should be okay? The reason I bring up that it wouldn't be a bad idea if possible is that it shows of course your desire and enthusiasm to look at past mistakes, especially in a subject semi-related like Eng Lang! It's okay to improve, if anything they'll like that!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I’m currently in year twelve and I’m interested in studying English literature at university. However, I achieved a grade six in English language last year and this is one of my lower grades. I’d like to know what my options are. Should I retake my English gcse? If so, how would I do that? For context I did get a grade 8 in English literature, but I’m interested Cambridge.

Hi, I would say don’t worry about it. As long as your personal statement is good you will be absolutely fine. I got two 7’s in my English and got into Durham (not Cambridge but next best thing) so if you want to go for it, just do it
Original post by Anonymous #1
Don't bother with re-doing the GCSE, presumably you are on track for an A/A* at A level? That will cover it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending