The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

First Year Accomodation

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but it's late and after reading through four pages of thread titles, I nearly fell asleep!

I'm definately making Nottingham my firm choice. However, I want UCL as my back-up and have an interview on March 29th. This means that I won't be able to book my accomodation until about April, and would ideally like to live in either L&W, Cripps or Hu-Stu Hall.
Does anyone know if there will still be places in these halls available, or will I have a very slim chance.
[I realise that there are other halls, and if there is a big chance I won't be able to live in the halls mentioned above, I may rethink my insurance choice]

Thanks! x

Scroll to see replies

you don't to choose what hall you're in! - you put university park down as your accomm choice, and the accomm office will put you wherever your needs are suited eg. en suite, shared bathroom xx

p.s. whats wrong with the other halls?!! from day one, you'll think your hall is the best one on campus anyway
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Don't worry about what hall you're put in, they're basically all the samenow anyway. xx
Reply 3
but what if I end up in Rutland!
Reply 4
Jo_Guernsey

Nothing, for crying out loud! Rutland is fine, most people there love it.
Reply 5
Jo_Guernsey

you'll have a sore arse?
Reply 6
you can still apply for accomodation even if you havnt said its your firm choice..i think?
Reply 7
No you can't. xx
yup, if you go on insurance/clearing you live in SPC etc... hence the chants such as "Raleigh came through clearing" etc.
Reply 9
well that's not necessarily true. Some people that have put Nottingham as their first choice won't make the offer, and thus the rooms they requested in halls will be vacant at the start of term.
Reply 10
Nottingham was my insurance choice and im in Derby Hall after applying for accommodation on results day. I know quite a few others in the same position.
Reply 11
loads of people put it on application forms anyway & ended up in the hall they wanted. worth a try but if you dont get what you want dont let it bother you cos theyre all the same! depends on the people..not the hall :smile:
Reply 12
If you were in Hugh Stu like you want to be, you could still end up in the new bit that I can see from out of my window...it looks like grotty 60s flats from the outside. It's ok inside, but why is everything painted that weird clinical green?

You can't put a preference down for a particular hall, it's just luck as to whether you end up somewhere nice like Cripps or Nightingale. Remember you're only in the hall for the first year, the other two you'll be off campus. So it's not the end of the world if you're in a hall that's not as pretty as the others - you shouldn't let it influence your choice of university too much!
Yeah I know what you mean about the new block, it's pretty nasty but you put up with it because the hall is so legendary!

As for no preference: that's not entirely true. You can call up the accom office and have them put a specific preference on your application. It's not guaranteed, bu I've heard of quite a few do it and it working.
Reply 14
And you get the wonderful knowledge that the new block was built on a swamp and therefore has wonderful damp problems on the first floor
I didn't know that... are you sure it's across the whole hall?
Reply 16
I don't see how it could have been built on a swamp, as the hall is on top of a hill. I think your room was just generally smelly.
It could derive from something written by Alex though. I wrote in something that Cripps was a "cess pit" or something, and it could have been taken to mean that the whole land was like that. Then Alex wrote this year's version... and possibly incorporated it.

That was just friendly Cripps abuse.
Reply 18
I think Guy's just talking rubbish
is that Guy guy... I hadn't even noticed the username...

Latest

Trending

Trending