The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Can't start this year...

Hello, due to personal reasons that are beyond my control I have very recently (literally yesterday) found that I cannot start university this year. I spent the whole year expecting that I would be moving out for uni this year, so it is a bit disappointing for me. I have a conditional offer from Warwick which I'm likely to meet. I am planning to work extremely hard to thoroughly learn the first yer material during the summer and the whole of next year. Is there any possibility that I can start directly in second year when I enter in 2016? Will I have to make a new application via UCAS or would emailing them and asking to start in 2016 work?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by HWestfall
Is there any possibility that I can start directly in second year when I enter in 2016? Will I have to make a new application via UCAS or would emailing them and asking to start in 2016 work?

Thanks

Why would they let you start in second year if you wont be a student there and haven't even sat the university exams?

Your best bet is to contact them immediately and explain your situation to them as they can defer your offer for the next year (which if that happens then you don't have to worry about making a new application). Good luck :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by a10
Why would they let you start in second year if you wont be a student there and haven't even sat the university exams?

Your best bet is to contact them immediately and explain your situation to them as they can defer your offer for the next year (which if that happens then you don't have to worry about making a new application). Good luck :smile:

Because on their website it says

"Second Year Direct EntryIn exceptional circumstances we will consider second year direct entry for students who have followed a course elsewhere which essentially covers the same material a first year student here would have covered. We would need to ascertain that:

you have indeed covered (almost) all of our first year syllabus;

your academic qualifications from school are not dissimilar to the entry requirements for first-year entry."

I'm not quite sure what "followed a course elsewhere" means, but as i said I will definitely be working through their first year material thoroughly including reading books and doing past papers. I will not want to go through first year again after this, but at the same time there is no way that Warwick can tell if I've actually learned the first year material. For this reason I'm open to options as to the best way to proceed so that I'm not "wasting" a year of my life. For example, is sitting the first year exams (along with all the first years who I should have started with) a possibility even if I studied everything independently?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Because on their website it says

"Second Year Direct EntryIn exceptional circumstances we will consider second year direct entry for students who have followed a course elsewhere which essentially covers the same material a first year student here would have covered. We would need to ascertain that:

you have indeed covered (almost) all of our first year syllabus;

your academic qualifications from school are not dissimilar to the entry requirements for first-year entry."

I'm not quite sure what "followed a course elsewhere" means, but as i said I will definitely be working through their first year material thoroughly including reading books and doing past papers. I will not want to go through first year again after this, but at the same time there is no way that Warwick can tell if I've actually learned the first year material. For this reason I'm open to options as to the best way to proceed so that I'm not "wasting" a year of my life. For example, is sitting the first year exams (along with all the first years who I should have started with) a possibility even if I studied everything independently?

I don't think that is going to work because you won't have the amount of credits needed and again how can they let you into the second year if you haven't sat their university exams...

What's the rush? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by a10
I don't think that is going to work because you won't have the amount of credits needed and again how can they let you into the second year if you haven't sat their university exams...

What's the rush? :smile:

It would be nice to know what I can do this year to be considered for second year entry so at least I know what options I have. If none of them will work for me then I'll just start in first year, I'm not particularly worried about that and it would give me time to learn second year material during first year. Basically I need to know what options I have so I can make the most of the year as their website is really vague on this point.
Reply 5
It would be nice to know what I can do this year to be considered for second year entry so at least I know what options I have. If none of them will work for me then I'll just start in first year, I'm not particularly worried about that and it would give me time to learn second year material during first year. Basically I need to know what options I have so I can make the most of the year as their website is really vague on this point.

You can study the first year material in advance that way when you begin you can breeze through most of it and be somewhat relaxed although I personally would say it's not very necessary in your first year (since you only need to pass the year to progress) however I would say doing that would be very beneficial in your second year onwards and that way you're likely to achieve good grades without the added stress of revising hard during exam periods.
Reply 6

The only way you can go into second year entry is if you took your first year at another university or had some sort of foundation degree. Rest assured, your offer will get deferred and you will not need to fill out a new UCAS though.

Is it possible for you to attend a university closer to home for a year and then use the credits achieved to go into direct second year entry?
Or, maybe open university credits could be used? That could work...maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest