The Student Room Group

Best places for media jobs apart from London?

Hey all,

I want to work in the media - preferably Marketing, PR, advertising, Journalism or social/digital media. I know a lot of these jobs are in London but for personal reasons I don't want to move back down to London after I graduate next year.

So...

What are the best places for media jobs apart from London?
Im looking into the same thing and im in the same situation as you where I dont want to move all the way down to london. I found that Manchester is the best, what with Media City and tons of other places in the city.
Other big cities such as Manchester, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
I don't understand the attitude "I want to work in X but I don't want to live in Y". If you really want to work in a particular industry why would you not do everything you could to increase your chances? You may have 'personal reasons' and I have no idea what they are, but ruling out a particular city seems, to my mind, incredibly short sighted. You'll have fewer networking opportunities and you won't hear of new openings which aren't advertised.

I moved from Kent to Aberdeen to get in to the oil and gas industry, because that is where the concentration is in this country.
Original post by Duncan2012
I don't understand the attitude "I want to work in X but I don't want to live in Y". If you really want to work in a particular industry why would you not do everything you could to increase your chances? You may have 'personal reasons' and I have no idea what they are, but ruling out a particular city seems, to my mind, incredibly short sighted. You'll have fewer networking opportunities and you won't hear of new openings which aren't advertised.

I moved from Kent to Aberdeen to get in to the oil and gas industry, because that is where the concentration is in this country.

Yeah but unless you are rich, comfortably living in London is very difficult. The price of a decent property is a lot less in Edinburgh or Manchester, where it is probably doubled or even tripled in London depending on where it is. And then there is food and bills and everything else on top of that.
Original post by GeorgeCB95
Yeah but unless you are rich, comfortably living in London is very difficult. The price of a decent property is a lot less in Edinburgh or Manchester, where it is probably doubled or even tripled in London depending on where it is. And then there is food and bills and everything else on top of that.

Fine, just don't expect to have the same opportunities though. I'm not saying it's easy, but the saying 'where there's a will there's a way' comes to mind. Good luck wherever you do end up.
Original post by GeorgeCB95
Im looking into the same thing and im in the same situation as you where I dont want to move all the way down to london. I found that Manchester is the best, what with Media City and tons of other places in the city.

I have been thinking about Manchester...it would be a good idea but a big deal to move there. I currently live in Leeds and I have never lived in Manchester before.

Definitely a city to bear in mind.
Original post by kittykatxoxo
Well unfortunately for personal reasons (yes personal reasons) I'd rather not move down to London straight after graduation.

And no, it's not short-sighted if I am unable to move to a particular place.

Calm down, this isn't personal. You're the one who's mentioned the phrase 'personal reasons' 3 times in this thread. I don't need/care/want to know what they and you're certainly not obliged to share them here, I simply gave you my opinion as someone who has moved to the other end of the country to pursue a career in a particular industry.

I used the term 'short-sighted' in the sense that you're limiting your career prospects.

What if you get a job with a large firm in, say, Manchester, and after a couple of months they want you to transfer to their London branch? Would you be in a position to make the move? It's a rhetorical question, you don't have to answer.

To answer your original question - there will be media jobs in any city. Have you approached your uni careers service for advice?
bump
Hi there its Amanda here at BCU! Have you ever thought about Birmingham? There are over 5,800 creative businesses in the city! Our graduate Anita has had a 26 year career working for the BBC and she's offered some advice on our website which might help you: www.bcu.ac.uk/how-to/anita

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending