The Student Room Group

I broke up with my girlfriend because of long distance and I'm struggling

Hi all,

Basically I just need to get this off my chest and talk about it somehow.

I'd been going out with a girl for 6 months, which is the longest I've ever been with someone and I loved her. I honestly think she's the first person I've truly loved other than my immediate family (my parents had a really nasty divorce and my Dad and sister are now estranged from my mother, so that messed me up when it comes to relationships). We got on so well, but she'll be staying in our university town next year whilst I leave on a placement for the year and she didn't think she'd manage long distance, so we broke up in the hope of staying friends. I've never been able to open up to someone like I could with her, she just understood me in a way I've never experienced.

We used to send long, essay-like messages to each other most days and now we don't really speak as much and it's just really difficult, especially now I don't have revision to focus myself on and since a lot of my friends are leaving for the summer. I can't tell if I'm bored or starting to show signs of depression (as I understand it, although it irks me when people say "I'm depressed" when they just mean sad). There were all sorts of things I was really looking forward to doing after my exams were over and now I've just lost enthusiasm for them all and I don't know why.

I just really miss her and I don't know who to talk to about it - whenever had other things bothering me I'd talk to her, but obviously now I can't.

Anyway, this probably hasn't been the most coherent message, but if anyone else has experienced similar circumstances I'd be really thankful if you could share how you got through it. I really am struggling at the moment.

All the best and I hope you have a pleasant summer.
Reply 1
take it easy. as you can see i just signed up for this web yeaaahh just because i wanted to rid myself of my last relation.

Fyi, i just broke up with my LDR gf around 4 days ago after 1 year we're together and since that day i always try my best to be busy. such as, more focus with my dissertation (my sadness about my ex distracts me sometimes), try to find new friends (i used to be busy with my phone when i was still in relationship), join the gym.

now, i'm alone in this new country.
i've left my families and my friends in my home country... annnddd i lost my 1 year gf too.

but, i'm trying to be positive and i hope these will get better in time.

:smile: keep it up man. keep positive.
i know you can

PS: sorry for my broken-english, it's not my mother language.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

I'd been going out with a girl for 6 months, which is the longest I've ever been with someone and I loved her. I honestly think she's the first person I've truly loved other than my immediate family (my parents had a really nasty divorce and my Dad and sister are now estranged from my mother, so that messed me up when it comes to relationships). We got on so well, but she'll be staying in our university town next year whilst I leave on a placement for the year and she didn't think she'd manage long distance, so we broke up in the hope of staying friends. I've never been able to open up to someone like I could with her, she just understood me in a way I've never experienced.

We used to send long, essay-like messages to each other most days and now we don't really speak as much and it's just really difficult, especially now I don't have revision to focus myself on and since a lot of my friends are leaving for the summer. I can't tell if I'm bored or starting to show signs of depression (as I understand it, although it irks me when people say "I'm depressed" when they just mean sad). There were all sorts of things I was really looking forward to doing after my exams were over and now I've just lost enthusiasm for them all and I don't know why.

I just really miss her and I don't know who to talk to about it - whenever had other things bothering me I'd talk to her, but obviously now I can't.

Anyway, this probably hasn't been the most coherent message, but if anyone else has experienced similar circumstances I'd be really thankful if you could share how you got through it. I really am struggling at the moment.

Hi Anonymous

This is a tough one. I was (currently still am) in a very similar situation to you, so I can understand exactly what you're going through. It's difficult to cope with everything, but you must remind yourself that this is just a temporary phase. Things will get better.

There is likely to be an element of boredom here which is contributing to how you're feeling. It's all about distracting yourself with something, that's the best way to cope with missing her. The more you're engaging in an activity or a hobby, the less you're thinking about her and the better you feel. You mentioned you had all sorts of things that you were looking forward to doing...so go and do them, please! I appreciate it's difficult to motivate yourself or to find the enthusiasm, but even if you have to drag yourself to places, then that's what it's going to take and you should definitely do it. For now, make this your priority. It's summer, it's the best time to go outside, make use of the time to relax and do things that will cheer you up. You might not feel an immediate effect, but the worst thing you can do right now is stay at home and do nothing. Why not go outside with some people? Family or friends. Have a picnic, go to a theme park...anything.

I'm not sure what the future holds for your relationship. I can't say that you'll never see her again, I can't say you'll get back together, I don't know the details here. But...at some stage, you may have to accept that the relationship is well and truly over, you'll have to accept that she's gone and she's never coming back. It may very well come to that. Once you accept the death of your relationship (and it's such a difficult thing to accept), it paves the way to recovery and moving on. If you keep holding onto false hopes of getting back together, it will torment you, hold you back and make you even more miserable.

Let me say something about going out with other women. Now, this doesn't always help after you break up with someone. I tried this, I have a new woman now but she's hardly available when I need her, she's already tied up with a boyfriend and I'm still thinking about my ex every day. So if you were considering dating other women, then you should know that it might not have the desired effect. You won't suddenly stop feeling sad or stop thinking of your ex, that feeling will remain. Having said that, it helps having a new woman to spend time with because it does take a little bit of the pain away, even if it's just a temporary fix.

Another thing...you should seriously consider going no contact. That means removing her from your life completely and permanently, and removing yourself from her life. Block her on your phone, block her on all social media, cut every single avenue of contact. Going cold turkey like this helps you to heal and move on. Now I'm not sure if you're still having contact with this person...but remaining friends with an ex is never a good idea, it opens you up to more pain and misery. Your ex is your ex for a very good reason.

It's a shame that your relationship had to end, but you must move forward. Your life can't stop just because she's not with you. It's okay to feel pain, it's okay to feel sadness and loneliness, it's all perfectly normal. But really force and push yourself to do things, even if you're not enthusiastic about it, you should still be going out and doing things. Things that you like.

This wasn't helpful, but again, I know exactly how it's like to lose someone and have to cope with their unfortunate departure. Accept that you've lost her, she's gone and now you have to rely on yourself to get better and to get through this phase. Set yourself goals, look forward to the next chapter in your life, whether that's university, employment etc. You'll get through this, of that I'm sure, but it takes time. It's a slow process.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Juicy J
Hi Anonymous

This is a tough one. I was (currently still am) in a very similar situation to you, so I can understand exactly what you're going through. It's difficult to cope with everything, but you must remind yourself that this is just a temporary phase. Things will get better.

There is likely to be an element of boredom here which is contributing to how you're feeling. It's all about distracting yourself with something, that's the best way to cope with missing her. The more you're engaging in an activity or a hobby, the less you're thinking about her and the better you feel. You mentioned you had all sorts of things that you were looking forward to doing...so go and do them, please! I appreciate it's difficult to motivate yourself or to find the enthusiasm, but even if you have to drag yourself to places, then that's what it's going to take and you should definitely do it. For now, make this your priority. It's summer, it's the best time to go outside, make use of the time to relax and do things that will cheer you up. You might not feel an immediate effect, but the worst thing you can do right now is stay at home and do nothing. Why not go outside with some people? Family or friends. Have a picnic, go to a theme park...anything.

I'm not sure what the future holds for your relationship. I can't say that you'll never see her again, I can't say you'll get back together, I don't know the details here. But...at some stage, you may have to accept that the relationship is well and truly over, you'll have to accept that she's gone and she's never coming back. It may very well come to that. Once you accept the death of your relationship (and it's such a difficult thing to accept), it paves the way to recovery and moving on. If you keep holding onto false hopes of getting back together, it will torment you, hold you back and make you even more miserable.

Let me say something about going out with other women. Now, this doesn't always help after you break up with someone. I tried this, I have a new woman now but she's hardly available when I need her, she's already tied up with a boyfriend and I'm still thinking about my ex every day. So if you were considering dating other women, then you should know that it might not have the desired effect. You won't suddenly stop feeling sad or stop thinking of your ex, that feeling will remain. Having said that, it helps having a new woman to spend time with because it does take a little bit of the pain away, even if it's just a temporary fix.

Another thing...you should seriously consider going no contact. That means removing her from your life completely and permanently, and removing yourself from her life. Block her on your phone, block her on all social media, cut every single avenue of contact. Going cold turkey like this helps you to heal and move on. Now I'm not sure if you're still having contact with this person...but remaining friends with an ex is never a good idea, it opens you up to more pain and misery. Your ex is your ex for a very good reason.

It's a shame that your relationship had to end, but you must move forward. Your life can't stop just because she's not with you. It's okay to feel pain, it's okay to feel sadness and loneliness, it's all perfectly normal. But really force and push yourself to do things, even if you're not enthusiastic about it, you should still be going out and doing things. Things that you like.

This wasn't helpful, but again, I know exactly how it's like to lose someone and have to cope with their unfortunate departure. Accept that you've lost her, she's gone and now you have to rely on yourself to get better and to get through this phase. Set yourself goals, look forward to the next chapter in your life, whether that's university, employment etc. You'll get through this, of that I'm sure, but it takes time. It's a slow process.

Hi Juicy J, thanks so much for your reply,

Firstly I'm sorry that you're experiencing the same and I hope you're doing okay. I know it's temporary, it's just hard because it's new to me and I really did love her. I still do, and I think the hardest thing is that I wanted to TRY long distance and see what happened, whereas she didn't even want to try, so that hurt even though I completely understand her point of view.

It's things like reading and the acoustic guitar album I was working on and had so much enthusiasm before, and going to the gym to train for some runs I'm doing, I just don't want to do any of it now. I think I need to go home and see how I feel then as I'm still in my university town at the moment and there are a lot of memories in this room that aren't helping. I'm also pretty much out of money so there's little I can realistically do, but going home may well help, I just know that I'll get a massive case of cabin fever if I go home for the summer. I just feel so alone, y'know? You're right though, I know it'll help to do things.

I'm not holding onto any hopes of getting back together and I wouldn't want to let her do this to me twice, so I've accepted it's over, I just haven't come to terms with it anymore. Nothing was wrong with the relationship at all, we were just going to be apart and she didn't want to try. I'm a big believer in fighting for a relationship and only giving up if it's absolutely not going to work any other way, but I'll never have that closure that I did everything I could. That's why I think it's hard for me.

I get what you mean about other women and I'm sorry to hear about your situation and I hope it improves for you with this other girl too. There are girls I'd have liked to go out with before, but I just don't think I could do that to someone else if I wasn't entirely into it. It takes me quite some time to get over these things because I throw all of myself in and I don't think people I'm with understand how involved I get in relationships. Some friendly female company might be a good idea though.

I'm still in contact with her and I'm glad she's doing well, but most times when I hear/ don't hear from her it just makes me upset, so that's not a bad idea actually. I just miss her so much.

Yeah you're right, setting goals would be a good idea, it's just like my ship won't have a bearing for a while and I don't like not knowing what I'm working towards. I'm going on a long bike ride in Europe in 6 weeks, but that's a hell of a long time to be inside my head, y'know? Thanks so much for your counsel though, I really appreciate it. If you want to talk about anything on your mind, then just ask me to message you and I can talk it over with you too, but no pressure :smile:

Thanks again.
Reply 4
Hi Juicy J, thanks so much for your reply,

Firstly I'm sorry that you're experiencing the same and I hope you're doing okay. I know it's temporary, it's just hard because it's new to me and I really did love her. I still do, and I think the hardest thing is that I wanted to TRY long distance and see what happened, whereas she didn't even want to try, so that hurt even though I completely understand her point of view.

It's things like reading and the acoustic guitar album I was working on and had so much enthusiasm before, and going to the gym to train for some runs I'm doing, I just don't want to do any of it now. I think I need to go home and see how I feel then as I'm still in my university town at the moment and there are a lot of memories in this room that aren't helping. I'm also pretty much out of money so there's little I can realistically do, but going home may well help, I just know that I'll get a massive case of cabin fever if I go home for the summer. I just feel so alone, y'know? You're right though, I know it'll help to do things.

I'm not holding onto any hopes of getting back together and I wouldn't want to let her do this to me twice, so I've accepted it's over, I just haven't come to terms with it anymore. Nothing was wrong with the relationship at all, we were just going to be apart and she didn't want to try. I'm a big believer in fighting for a relationship and only giving up if it's absolutely not going to work any other way, but I'll never have that closure that I did everything I could. That's why I think it's hard for me.

I get what you mean about other women and I'm sorry to hear about your situation and I hope it improves for you with this other girl too. There are girls I'd have liked to go out with before, but I just don't think I could do that to someone else if I wasn't entirely into it. It takes me quite some time to get over these things because I throw all of myself in and I don't think people I'm with understand how involved I get in relationships. Some friendly female company might be a good idea though.

I'm still in contact with her and I'm glad she's doing well, but most times when I hear/ don't hear from her it just makes me upset, so that's not a bad idea actually. I just miss her so much.

Yeah you're right, setting goals would be a good idea, it's just like my ship won't have a bearing for a while and I don't like not knowing what I'm working towards. I'm going on a long bike ride in Europe in 6 weeks, but that's a hell of a long time to be inside my head, y'know? Thanks so much for your counsel though, I really appreciate it. If you want to talk about anything on your mind, then just ask me to message you and I can talk it over with you too, but no pressure :smile:

Thanks again.

Hi again

The circumstances of the break up don't matter much anymore. She's on her own path now, and you have to focus on yourself now as I'm sure you already know. Easier said than done, but there you go. Sometimes, one person just doesn't want to try long distance, I was in that situation too many years ago. And you just have to accept it. They'd rather go on with their life without you, that's how it is.

You got some really cool things lined up. Music, gym, running...yoi really must force yourself to do all of it, everything! I completely understand that feeling of not having the enthusiasm to do anything, but you have to force yourself even if it feels pointless or difficult. Physically drag yourself to the gym, immerse yourself in your music! You're lucky to have a passion to lean back on at a time like this, use it to your benefit. It's a great distraction from he post-break up blues. So yes, force yourself to do the things that you planned to do. She's not with you anymore, but don't let that stop you from getting on with your life. You've got music!

And go out on those runs, that's a great thing for you to focus on.

A change of setting may also help, when you're back home you'll be able to regroup and get yourself back together. Plus, you'll be distracted with family and friends who are back home, it's a different life to your uni life so I think it should help.

I know it's hard to come to terms and let go, but that's natural. When you love a girl, you can't just switch those emotions off. There'll be doubts, regrets, you'll miss her, you'll be thinking about her often, wishing things could have been different...but you're only torturing yourself. Focus on the reality - she's gone, she's not willing to give the relationship a chance despite your wish to do so...you did the best that you could to make her stay, you gave her the best love that you could give, there's nothing more that you could have done...so you can rest easy knowing that you tried your best to fight for the relationship, ultimately it was her choice and her decision to walk away. It's not on you. That should help you accept the situation and, over the course of the next few weeks, you'll gradually come to terms with it and you'll feel less sad. But that takes time.

In my experience, the number one thing that is holding be back and keeping me from moving on is that I'm still in contact with her. It's absolute torture. Hearing from her, then not hearing from her...waiting for a text, a call, but it never comes...hoping that she'll declare her love for you and decide to come back to you... The continued contact really messes you up, because you're not in a position where you can deal with that. Suggest to her not to contact you again at least until you feel like you're ready, and tell her that you won't be contacting her while you take time to sort yourself out and try to move on. You can read up online about no contact after a break up, it might be useful for you.

You've got some really cool stuff lined up as I mentioned. That bike ride in six weeks time will be the perfect thing to get your mind off this. Start hitting the gym, running, training, working on your fitness and eating a good diet. You'll get so engrossed in your training and that will help you to cope. Start slow then build it up, if you need to. That's a great thing to set your sights on, I wish I had something cool like that going on.

Feel free to PM me any time if you want to talk more, I'll try to reply. And same to you, no pressure :smile:
Hello, I hope you are doing well. I am a guy and I have expereinces this similar things before. I am sorry to hear about your family situation it sounds so tough especailly you are on your revision period. I hope your exams are going well too. In my opinion you guys should break up especailly if you felt that you both got along with one another. I think you were just depress about your parents and your exams. Have you tell her about these things? If not I suggest you should. Having a relationship means you two go through everything together. I suggest you talk to her before it's too late and before she misunderstands you. Did you manage to change your mind about the long distance relationship? Also about the long messages - I think you guys are on your exams period so its tough and have alot of revision to do for your own studies. Its normal me and my girlfriend we rarely talk to each other too. To avoid the feeling of distance what about sending her a long message? Im sure she will send back! I am sorry to say this but you dont feel enthuisium about things because you maybe handling the situation wrong. You are running away from the problems instead of trying to solve it. I suggest you meet her and talk to her about it. You are clearly missing the girl who changed your life into a better way so don't let her go. I nearly let go of my current girlfriend just because I was depress and my family devorced too..I am living with my dad at the moment. I didn't let her go and thats the best decision that I've made. Don't let your parent's expereince affects your love life or else you can never find love. Everyone is different. The girl I am with now helped me go through things and I am happy with her.
I wouldn't stay in contact with you mate. Time and space is needed to fully recover from a break-up. I'm sorry the long-distance thing is an issue; a lot of people are able to overcome this.
Reply 7
Hello mate,

First things first, you're not alone. I think it's important to be reminded of that, because in situations like yours, you can often feel very lonely and almost isolated. But the truth is, we've all been through a break up (and if we haven't, we will do.) and, there are millions of people in the world feeling exactly like you do now.

Secondly, there's always somebody worse of than yourself, so be grateful for what you have. At the moment I'm sure you're feeling very shot-sighted and probably don't care about anyone else or how anyone else feels. Break ups can be a very selfish time in terms of emotions. But, just try to remind yourself that there are people on the planet who have a lot less to live for than you do. Whether it be amputated limbs, to living in complete poverty or on the streets. Count your blessings.

Thirdly, there's no right or wrong way to get over someone. You have to do you!
My advice would be to keep as busy as possible, but it's also important to allow yourself to be sad at times, it's almost like when someone dies, you give yourself time to grieve and then eventually you learn to move on.

Finally, time is the best healer. I read somewhere a while ago that it takes up to 6 months to get over someone you were in love with after a break up. (Can take longer). The best thing to do is deal with the pain the best way you can, and eventually it will ease away. (Easier said than done, and doesn't help you right this second, but it's important to know that you won't feel like this forever.)

Heart break is the price we pay for love.

All the best buddy, private message me if you want to chat! Sometimes it's nice to chat to a complete stranger who isn't going to judge you, haha.
Hello, I hope you are doing well. I am a guy and I have expereinces this similar things before. I am sorry to hear about your family situation it sounds so tough especailly you are on your revision period. I hope your exams are going well too. In my opinion you guys should break up especailly if you felt that you both got along with one another. I think you were just depress about your parents and your exams. Have you tell her about these things? If not I suggest you should.

Having a relationship means you two go through everything together. I suggest you talk to her before it's too late and before she misunderstands you. Did you manage to change her mind about the long distance relationship?

Also about the long messages - I think you guys are on your exams period so its tough and have alot of revision to do for your own studies. Its normal me and my girlfriend we rarely talk to each other too. To avoid the feeling of distance what about sending her a long message? Im sure she will send back!

I am sorry to say this but you dont feel enthuisium about things because you maybe handling the situation wrong. You are running away from the problems instead of trying to solve it. I suggest you meet her and talk to her about it. You are clearly missing the girl who changed your life into a better way so don't let her go. I nearly let go of my current girlfriend just because I was depress and my family devorced too..I am living with my dad at the moment. I didn't let her go and thats the best decision that I've made. Don't let your parent's expereince affects your love life or else you can never find love. Everyone is different. The girl I am with now helped me go through things and I am happy with her.
Hi all,

Says it all that she is not willing to try long distance, she's not worth it, I'd cut all contact with her.
I've been in a long distance relationship for just over two years now, so I understand how hard it is! I definitely don't think it's impossible though.

Is there any way you could talk to her, explain how you feel, and ask to give it another go?

It's important how long your placement is too. If it's 6 months or something does she really not think she can manage six months apart? On the other hand, if it's going to be years with no clear end point in sight, that might be more difficult.

Even if it is going to be years though, I think it's still possible! That's pretty much the situation in my relationship and what gets us through it lots of visits throughout the year. Although of course I don't know your exact situation, so possibly that's not so simple for you.
Original post by Rock Fan
Says it all that she is not willing to try long distance, she's not worth it, I'd cut all contact with her.

Unfortunately I kind of agree with this too. I think long distance relationships can work if both people see it as a challenge to overcome as a team. In fact, in that case it can even bring you closer. But if even just one person sees it as something causing a rift, then drifting apart if unfortunately just inevitable.
Reply 12
Hi all,

Long distance is never an excuse. My 7th year anniversary is coming up and I'm going to propose. I have been at uni for 4 years during my relationship and my GF moved to San Francisco for a year. It's about communication, understanding the other person's needs and meeting them. vice versa. I can explain more if need be but I'm being blunt cause you're acting like you're powerless when you're not.
The comments here are overwhelming! I just want to say hi, we're in the same situation. I hope you're fine! If you still feel depressed (as I am) don't hesitate to pop me a message. 😊
Original post by sm757
Long distance is never an excuse. My 7th year anniversary is coming up and I'm going to propose. I have been at uni for 4 years during my relationship and my GF moved to San Francisco for a year. It's about communication, understanding the other person's needs and meeting them. vice versa. I can explain more if need be but I'm being blunt cause you're acting like you're powerless when you're not.

awww good luck !

Latest

Trending

Trending