The Student Room Group

The Car Buying Experience

Hi everyone,

I am currently studying my masters in business administration and I'd like to have feedback from you guys which would help me with my project a lot.

1. If you're planning to buy a car, would you opt for a new car or opt in for a second hand car which is less than five years?

2. What is the primary purpose? Would your car, be a practical run about or just something which you could do shopping on the weekends.

3. And if you've already bought a second hand car, where did you buy your car from? was it from a local dealer? how was the experience? would you recommend the same to your friend?

Please do let me know your thoughts, thank you so much for your time.
Original post by oliver_anderson
Hi everyone,

I am currently studying my masters in business administration and I'd like to have feedback from you guys which would help me with my project a lot.

1. If you're planning to buy a car, would you opt for a new car or opt in for a second hand car which is less than five years?

2. What is the primary purpose? Would your car, be a practical run about or just something which you could do shopping on the weekends.

3. And if you've already bought a second hand car, where did you buy your car from? was it from a local dealer? how was the experience? would you recommend the same to your friend?

1. Second hand car for my personal scenario. If I had a better job and was minted then I'd go for new but purely for cost reasons, I'd go second hand or potentially an ex-demo if my budget stretches that far. But I'd love a new car one day just to say it's completely mine.

2. My car would be a practical run about, I commute to work for 15 miles every day. I'd also like it to have some eye appeal to it. I'd never buy an ugly car. In fact, I'd pay over the odds to get a car which looks sporty/professional/'pretty'

3. Have bought a second hand car before yes, from a large local dealer. They was pretty good, MOT'd the car, gave me a year guarantee but obviously also bumped the price up by about £300 for this but it was still worth it. Would definitely recommend them to a friend. They were typical car salesmen. Busy, short conversation, enthused and excited to sell you a car. Nice people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lewif002
1. Second hand car for my personal scenario. If I had a better job and was minted then I'd go for new but purely for cost reasons, I'd go second hand or potentially an ex-demo if my budget stretches that far. But I'd love a new car one day just to say it's completely mine.

2. My car would be a practical run about, I commute to work for 15 miles every day. I'd also like it to have some eye appeal to it. I'd never buy an ugly car. In fact, I'd pay over the odds to get a car which looks sporty/professional/'pretty'

3. Have bought a second hand car before yes, from a large local dealer. They was pretty good, MOT'd the car, gave me a year guarantee but obviously also bumped the price up by about £300 for this but it was still worth it. Would definitely recommend them to a friend. They were typical car salesmen. Busy, short conversation, enthused and excited to sell you a car. Nice people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your reply, this helps me a lot!
Hi everyone,

1. Most likely used - usually around 2-3 years old - so that it has some remaining factory warranty. Better value, less depreciation, and can get higher trim-levels/goodies.

2. Everything really - my car gives me freedom. Weekend shopping, trips to the seaside, commuting to work, travelling to visit friends/family.

3. Answer somewhat depends. Mine was bought second hand from a private owner. Very easy experience, if you know a bit about cars, and what to look for, and observe the condition of a car, and recognize any faults. Private sellers usually sell for less $$$ than dealerships, so can save money this way.

Hope this helps.
Hi everyone,

1) New as it is a newly released model.

2) The practical runabout with 7 seats.

3) The last car we bought used was a 2012 Land Rover Discovery HSE from my "local" Land Rover dealer. It is always a good experience for me to buy a vehicle from them as I used to work for the owner of the business and then been a customer with them for many years. I will definitely recommend them if you are in the market for a good quality Land Rover.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending