The Student Room Group

Importance of GCSEs to top universities?

If I were to only get a few A*s at GCSE (3-5) rest being As and Bs, would it matter much to them if I were to get minimum A*A*A*A for A levels (hoping to study Medicine at university)? How important are GCSE grades to universities like Cambridge and Oxford? I know that other things are important like the interview and such, but moving them aside, would somebody be likely to be accepted?
You need to stop thinking about your application in terms of 'top universities'; it doesn't work like that in Medicine.

But, since you ask, most people who apply successfully to Oxford and Cambridge will have more than 3-5 A* at GCSE.
Firstly, with medicine, the reputation of the university is less important as all medical degrees are very similar in quality.

Secondly, with medicine, I think most universities only look at your first 8/9 gcses as not everyone has the chance to take more. They always look at maths, english and science grades, so if your a*s are in these your application will be stronger. They give each grade a certain number (say 10 for an a*, 8 for an a etc) and then calculate a total, which they use to compare candidates.

Thirdly, very few people get A*A*A*A at a level, particularly if you've only got 3 a*s at gcse.
Alright, thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending