The Student Room Group

A-level maths as private candidate?

Hi guys,

I hope your exams are going well... In September I will be starting college, I'm taking an extended diploma in sport and exercise science but I also want to do A-level Maths so will be completing the maths as a private candidate self teaching myself. I'm going to do Exexcel maths because that's the exam board I'm with for my GCSEs.

These are my questions:

1) what units do you have to do or what units do you chose?
2) any advise?
3) what are the units?

Thanks in advance
In A-Level Maths Edexcel you do 4 Core units, C1-C4 and 2 applied units which can be any from S1, S2, D1, D2, M1 or M2, S is statistics, D is decision and M is mechanics. You cannot choose a 2 module without choosing the corresponding 1. If you want a good grade it is advised to do 2 1modules like S1 and D1, but it all depends on your preference. I would use examsolutions website as he has most of the units, apart from decision, and provides helpful videos. :smile: hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you for replying, that's a huge help thank you. Do you know when you have to take the exams? (E.g. How many in the first year and then the second year?)
Original post by Hollie1903
Thank you for replying, that's a huge help thank you. Do you know when you have to take the exams? (E.g. How many in the first year and then the second year?)

For you can take as many in the first year as you want and as many in the second year as long as you complete 6 units by the second year, normally you take 3 in year 1 and 3 in year 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest