The Student Room Group

How would I sit A-levels privately?

I'm amidst a end-term crisis with the A-levels I've chosen and I fear it's too late to re choose. I've chosen English Language, English Literature & History but I want to do Maths (or further maths), Biology & Chemistry.

Where would I be able to sit my A-levels since my school likely won't allow me to re choose. For context, I live in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Original post by LeonEwing
I'm amidst a end-term crisis with the A-levels I've chosen and I fear it's too late to re choose. I've chosen English Language, English Literature & History but I want to do Maths (or further maths), Biology & Chemistry.

Where would I be able to sit my A-levels since my school likely won't allow me to re choose. For context, I live in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

You can use this search tool to locate exam centres near you which accept private candidates. You'd obviously need to register as a private candidate with the relevant exam boards.

Two issues you will face:

1. Biology and Chemistry include required practicals. Most exam centres are only going to provide a service where you can sit exams there - not do lab work. Some will have facilities for the required practicals, but they can be expensive. One option would be to take international A levels instead, as they don't have a concept of required practicals.

2. Unless you drop-out of school, you'll be doing six A levels. That isn't realistic. All of them will suffer as a result.

Quick Reply

Latest