The Student Room Group

Running advice

Hey, so for the last 2 weeks ive been running 4/5 times a week in order to lose weight. I run for about 30 minutes but have not seen any change, I have literally just stayed the same weight (which I suppose is better than putting the weight on). Im not eating that much and I am tracking what I eat on MyFitnessPal and that says im ok. In order to see results should I increase how long my runs are? Or is there something else I should do that I am not getting?
How to lose weight in two simple steps:

1) Eat less
2) Eat healthy.

If you want to be more aggressive join a MMA gym, all that extra fat will be gone within a month. Running doesn't really burn that much calories and 30 minutes isn't a whole lot.
Take progress pics, that way you'll be able to see if it's working. Scales can lie.

I remember I had the same problem a few months ago - check this out: http://www.beachbody.com/beachbodyblog/fitness/ask-the-expert-why-do-you-gain-weight-when-you-start-working-out
Reply 3
Original post by ALevelBro
How to lose weight in two simple steps:

1) Eat less
2) Eat healthy.

If you want to be more aggressive join a MMA gym, all that extra fat will be gone within a month. Running doesn't really burn that much calories and 30 minutes isn't a whole lot.

Someone give this chap a medal.

Original post by GeorgeCB95
Hey, so for the last 2 weeks ive been running 4/5 times a week in order to lose weight. I run for about 30 minutes but have not seen any change, I have literally just stayed the same weight (which I suppose is better than putting the weight on). Im not eating that much and I am tracking what I eat on MyFitnessPal and that says im ok. In order to see results should I increase how long my runs are? Or is there something else I should do that I am not getting?

You don't need to run 4-5 times a week to lose weight. If you enjoy running, 'jog' on (Apologies!). But the main way you will lose weight is by being in a caloric deficit and to achieve that you need to eat less and eat right. Consider it 'bro science' or not, I'm not a huge fan of running. It has had detrimental effects on my joints. I'd rather do something like rowing or cycling for my cardio and spend the rest of the time doing resistance training, e.g. super sets. Eating right is very important and trumps anything else when losing weight.

I also think that doing more intensive running would be more helpful. The thirty minute jogs are a start but doing speed intervals and resistance stuff will be more effective once you get above the baseline fitness, I think. Try doing 5K running at a harder pace.

http://breakingmuscle.com/running/why-you-should-drop-the-marathons-for-5k-races

Especially note the stuff about HIIT training, and the way it improves fat-burning after the run. The point is that just doing longer runs won't necessarily help - my mother's done marathons without necessarily burning much fat. Try Parkrun, too, a good place for a beginner to start with 5K running - assuming you have one close to you: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
Reply 5

You won't see much change in two weeks unless you're massively overweight tbf. It takes time to lose weight properly and see distinctive results.

In your 30 minutes of running, how many miles do you cover? You could be jogging for 30 minutes but covering only 1-2 miles depending on how fast you go, you need to take this into consideration as well.

Remember that the key is 80% diet too. Eat Smaller portions 3-4 times a day every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism high.
Are you weighing everything you eat? Some people aren't always that accurate with how much they're really eating.

Quick Reply

Latest