The Student Room Group

Optom graduate, no pre reg, how do I get back into optom

Id appreciate any advice. A bit of background, I graduated first class honours in Optometry a few years back but because of things going on at the time, didn’t manage to complete the pre reg. My pre reg deadline has just passed. What would be the steps for me to be able to return to optometry? Would I have to redo 3 years at uni again or is just a year top up? Thanks for any advice.
Original post by Meganxhb
Id appreciate any advice. A bit of background, I graduated first class honours in Optometry a few years back but because of things going on at the time, didn’t manage to complete the pre reg. My pre reg deadline has just passed. What would be the steps for me to be able to return to optometry? Would I have to redo 3 years at uni again or is just a year top up? Thanks for any advice.

I think you're in a unique situation and I don't know much about it, but I know that you roughly have 2 years to try and secure a pre-reg position after completing your degree. If you don't secure a pre-reg within 2 years the competencies you've earned run out. I think you will probably have to go back to university and potentially repeat the final year competencies so that you have up-to-date competencies to apply for a pre-reg position.

I hope this helps.

I support a group of pre-reg students by asking newly qualified optoms to do talks so if this is something you'd be interested in let me know :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by OptomStudent4452
I think you're in a unique situation and I don't know much about it, but I know that you roughly have 2 years to try and secure a pre-reg position after completing your degree. If you don't secure a pre-reg within 2 years the competencies you've earned run out. I think you will probably have to go back to university and potentially repeat the final year competencies so that you have up-to-date competencies to apply for a pre-reg position.

I hope this helps.

I support a group of pre-reg students by asking newly qualified optoms to do talks so if this is something you'd be interested in let me know :smile:

Hi I'm in the same situation as the person above. It's been 2 years since I graduated. Could you help me
(edited 7 months ago)
So basically you have to repeat your 3rd year since it's where you gain all your competencies to progress onto the Scheme for Registration (these run out if you wait longer than 2 years before starting your pre-reg). You would have to contact optometry universities and explain your situation. I'm not entirely sure which universities can help but it's worth contacting a few. It may be the case you only have to resit the competency element of your 3rd year to regain your competencies.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Meganxhb

Hi this is completely unrelated but would u say it 's easier to get a first class in second year of optometry or third year of optometry?

Quick Reply

Latest