The Student Room Group

Will Rafael Nadal ever win Wimbledon again?

Poll

Nadal-key milestones-what will he acheive?

Thoughts? I would love to see one more Nadal Federer final.
Also, will Nadal equal(or better)Federer's slam count?

Poll posted

Scroll to see replies

Considering his recent Wimbledon record, no
Original post by shawn_o1
Considering his recent Wimbledon record, no

Two questions, And can you vote please.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Two questions, And can you vote please.

Voted. (Please double-check your spelling)
And I don't think he can match Federer's slam record. Injuries have blighted his career
Original post by shawn_o1
Voted. (Please double-check your spelling)
And I don't think he can match Federer's slam record. Injuries have blighted his career

He could do maybe one more Australian. Two more French opens. Just.....
He's made impressive recoveries before.
No, he won't win another Wimbledon and neither will he equal or break Federer's slam record. After last years French Open, I thought he would definitely surpass Federer but he has declined so much since then that it looks unlikely that he will even win another slam, although I still think he has another French Open in him but that's it really.
Reply 6
Federer's era came to an end a few years ago. So that's already done and dusted. Federer is not going to win any more grand slams, I expect he'll retire in the next two or three years.

Nadal seems to be losing his dominance. He may have another one or two grand slam victories left in him yet.

Now it's the time for the weak players to step up, the players that have been living in Federer's and Nadal's shadows in recent years. These are Djokovic and Murray, they'll probably be winning a few grand slams over the next few years. It's quite shocking to see a player like Murray winning grand slams, but there you go, legends can't remain legends indefinitely and when their time expires, they leave room for weak players to win trophies.

Nadal won't win Wimbledon again, I think Djokovic may clinch it but we'll have to wait and see what happens in the grass court season leading up to Wimbledon, then we'll get a better idea of what kind of form the top players are in.

I'm not sure if Nadal will reach or surpass 17 grand slams, it looks unlikely but there's still Wimbledon and the US open left, so we'll see...
Reply 7
Djokovic's era for Wimbledon, I predict.
I think he could do two more French's and an Australian, the next 'slowest' surface. Levelling Fed is the most he can do IMO but I wouldn't put his chances at more then 50%. The thing that really surprises me is that he doesn't ease off on the clay, with so many titles, and then gear his training to more explosiveness and short points, so he prioritises on faster surfaces.
I dont think he will win anymore grand slams ths recent french open has showed and this season to date that he is no longer a grand slam winner. I think the days of nadal are over he is 29 now i think the time when he won all the slams are gone i think federer is now finished. Never been a nadal fan but it would be nice to see him before he retires win a 10th title in france
He's got a French Open in him. Don't see him winning any other slams.

Doesn't really matter if he beats Federer's record btw, Roger's still the all time greatest.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
He's got a French Open in him. Don't see him winning any other slams.

Doesn't really matter if he beats Federer's record btw, Roger's still the all time greatest.

What so if he comes back from this lull and injuries, regains form,and surpasses Fed's slam count, plus their one-on one record, he isn't greater?

That's the biased view of a fan.

I am more of a Nadal fan than Fed, but I fully admit that Fed is currently GOAT, and will be if he ends on more slams. but to say it is entirely, unconditionally 'irrelevant'? Wtf?
If Nadal passes his slam count, this will change, the slams are doing it at the biggest moments, the most testing, and they are what counts. also Fed played a lot of his career with no Nadal, Nadal has played his peak with Fed there, and has a better one on one record by miles. However basically I think overall slams is very accurate as is stands.
I always thought he would, but 2014 let him down and now has 2015 so i don't think he can. Just to look at it logically, Federer had won 15 of his 17 grand slams by the end of 2009 at which he was aged 28 by the end of the season. Nadal had 14 to the end of last year (same age) which puts him behind. While the chance for odd slams still exists, Nadal's game is declining far more rapidly than Federer's as it appears he can no longer keep his physicality up (Federer's has never really required it).

So i'll go for a no and no. He'll probably win the French again though.
What so if he comes back from this lull and injuries, regains form,and surpasses Fed's slam count, plus their one-on one record, he isn't greater?

Regarding a 1 on 1 count, it's worth noting that around half their meetings have occurred on clay.
Original post by Rakas21
I always thought he would, but 2014 let him down and now has 2015 so i don't think he can. Just to look at it logically, Federer had won 15 of his 17 grand slams by the end of 2009 at which he was aged 28 by the end of the season. Nadal had 14 to the end of last year (same age) which puts him behind. While the chance for odd slams still exists, Nadal's game is declining far more rapidly than Federer's as it appears he can no longer keep his physicality up (Federer's has never really required it).

So i'll go for a no and no. He'll probably win the French again though.

Ok good points, but a few things..Federer had Nadal and Djok and Murry there the whole time. Now Fed is out the way of Nadal, and whilst Djok is a constant threat, i still think his intesnity will wane at some point, while him and Rafa are still up there and he is top, and I don't see Murray maintaining that level of intensity-also Murray has been a favourable match up even for a less on form Nadal. Since there is very little underneath them that looks like being up to their level for a good few years(I mean Dmitrov, Raonic? no way) He only needs to get himself back on form and steal a few of the gaps. Murray will be going for OZ and the French and Djok the French to complete the career slam. If he is wise about this, then he can prioritise, as I said earlier -probably Australia would be the one to focus on. That said I don't think he has been very shrewd in his career about his body and what to prioritise. But if he does that, i can easily see him snatching a few, Djok won't win it all, and Murray is not looking like he'll repeat the intesity or form he had under Lendl.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Regarding a 1 on 1 count, it's worth noting that around half their meetings have occurred on clay.

Ok, I take that point. But it doesn't alter my main argument. to just say Fed is the best regardless of how the slam count ends up, just is not a legitimate argument.
I think if Nadal comes back from this mediocre form to surpass the slam count, then he is GOAT indisputably. If he doesn't, he isn't.
Ok good points, but a few things..Federer had Nadal and Djok and Murry there the whole time. Now Fed is out the way of Nadal, and whilst Djok is a constant threat, i still think his intesnity will wane at some point, while him and Raf ase still up there and he is top, I don't see Murray maintaining that level of intensity-also Murray is a favourable match up even for a less on form Nadal. Since there is very little underneath them that looks like being up to their level for a good few years(I mean Dmitrov, Raonic? no way) He only needs to get himself back on form and steal a few of the gaps. Murray will be going for OZ and the French and Djok the French to complete the career slam. If he is wise about this, then he can prioritise, as I said earlier -probably Australia would be the one to focus on. That said I don't think he has been very shrewd in his career about his body and what to prioritise. But if he does that, i can easily see him snatching a few, Djok won't win it all, and Murray is not looking like he'll repeat the intesity or form he had under Lendl.

Largely agree with that however your assuming that Nadal will recoup as Federer declines, it's possible but current evidence would suggest that Nadal is collapsing at a much faster rate than Federer. Nadal has never before really had to adapt, he's always made others adapt to him and so i'm not sure how great his efforts to change his game will be.

Yes, we're already seeing a power vacuum developing as the big 4 as a whole have lost their slam grip and Raonic/Dimitrov/Nikishori are not good enough to dominate (Del Potro is but he's injured). This means that the 2016-2020 period is probably going to be like the pre-2003 period where a number of players scrapped amongst themselves for title before the next brilliant guys dominate (probably people not even on the tour yet).

Ok, I take that point. But it doesn't alter my main argument. to just say Fed is the best regardless of how the slam count ends up, just is not a legitimate argument.
I think if Nadal comes back from this mediocre form to surpass the slam count, then he is GOAT indisputably. If he doesn't, he isn't.

I'd agree with that. Slam counts are probably the best way to judge GOAT albeit there's an argument to weight the 3 surfaces.
I hope so he was always my favourite player :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
Largely agree with that however your assuming that Nadal will recoup as Federer declines, it's possible but current evidence would suggest that Nadal is collapsing at a much faster rate than Federer. Nadal has never before really had to adapt, he's always made others adapt to him and so i'm not sure how great his efforts to change his game will be.

Yes, we're already seeing a power vacuum developing as the big 4 as a whole have lost their slam grip and Raonic/Dimitrov/Nikishori are not good enough to dominate (Del Potro is but he's injured). This means that the 2016-2020 period is probably going to be like the pre-2003 period where a number of players scrapped amongst themselves for title before the next brilliant guys dominate (probably people not even on the tour yet).

I'd agree with that. Slam counts are probably the best way to judge GOAT albeit there's an argument to weight the 3 surfaces.

Del Potro is class, shame about the injury. he's way down now, would love to see him come back. Yeah i'm not sure how much he will change his game. It would have been smart while he was still young enough to realise that his French tally was far outscoring the rest, and see there weren't any formidable younger players, and work on the fast twitch fibers and more explosive game for hardcourts and grass. This isn't anything that hard to know, there's quite standard stuff thaty can change your profile as an athlete....but I guess he just wanted to keep playing to his strengths and be Roland Garros GOAT, probably for ever.

Yeah you get quite a few Americans on the web who don't like slam counts, cos they want it to be Sampras or another yank, and also they think it makes them sound more knowledgable and sophisticated to talk about weeks at number 1. But at the end of the day that is a form estimate, if someone had the most weeks at number 1 of any player but only 6/7 slams, they are not delivering at big moments up to form. So yeah, bs really.

oh as footnote, I would love to see a tournament where Djokovic is between dominance, and murray hasn't done that well, Fed and Nadal play the tournament of their lives and play each other in the final.

Unlikely but would be so awesome to see.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest