The Student Room Group

A level Arabic or Computing? - Medicine pathway

I'm going down the medicine pathway with my A levels; picking A level Biology, Chemistry and mathematics. However I am now suck on whether my fourth AS should be computing (I'm likely getting A or A*) or a classical language, Arabic to be specific (I have background knowledge because of my north African background that speaks a dialect of Arabic). Both are important factors for university but for the context of medicine I'm not sure :confused:

Im also not entirely sure how A level Arabic is, I can read Arabic well, have understanding for a strong number of vocabulary, I guess my writing is abit low, but is it similar to say, English literature or English language or is it easier.
I would imagine that Arabic, as it is fairly unpopular to be taken, may be difficult as most people who take it will have a strong command of the language. That being said, most languages have easier texts/reading exercises in exams, and a fluent speaker would have no problem whatsoever.
When would you ever need arabic? Computing would come in handier.
Reply 3
Original post by Skip_Snip
When would you ever need arabic? Computing would come in handier.

According to The Sheffield College:
"
A Level Language students who go on to take a degree using their language perhaps as part of a degree such as business, economics or law, or on its own, - have one of the highest employment rates, a year after graduation, of all graduates.Science subjects or accountancy combined with a language is a very powerful combination.There is more to a language career than you may think, such as teaching, interpreting and translation; employers in accountancy, finance and IT are keen to find people with language skills, as are employers in call centres, sales, secretarial and PA roles. Having a language can seriously boost your employability and your pay!"But I see your point on how computing may also be quiet important especially with technology becoming more universal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending