The Student Room Group

Don't have A levels? Alternative Routes into University FAQ

Scroll to see replies

U can go to tech and there a thing that is worth an a level I forget the name it can get u into university
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by Jacob2602
Hi, I read this post and it has got me interested in starting a foundation year. I'm 22 yo, left college 5 years ago with 2 A-Levels at Grade C. I've been working since leaving college but now I have found a course that really interests me - Ancient History and Archaeology at the University of Manchester.But the problem is that the A-Level requirements are ABB and I don't know how to find out weather I can do a foundation year on this course.Now I’m not sure if the university would allow me to enter this course because I can't find out how to apply for this course with a foundation year. So any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

The best thing to do is to call Manchester admissions and ask them, they will be able to tell you if a foundation year is an option
Original post by Snufkin
Alternative Routes into University

This is a list of the various alternative routes into university for people who, for whatever reason, didn't do or couldn't do A levels. If you have any questions which are not covered in the FAQs, post them below! Open the Spoilers to see a list of FAQs.

Access to Higher Education (HE) Diploma

Access to HE Diplomas (also known as Access courses) are designed to prepare people without traditional qualifications for university. Access courses are the best established and most common route into university for mature students and students without A levels. Each year more than 20,000 people apply to university after doing an Access course. There is a large community of Access students in the Mature Students forum.

Spoiler

Foundation Year

A foundation year is an extra year of study at the start of a university course. It enables students who do not meet the course entry requirements to fill the gaps in their knowledge. If you pass the foundation year, you automatically move into the first year of your chosen degree.

Please note, foundation years are not the same as international foundation years (these are courses for international students who want to study in the UK but either don't have the right qualifications or need to improve their English language skills before starting a degree).

Spoiler

Distance learning A-levels

If you want to do A levels but can't attend school or college consider studying them at home. You can either use a distance-learning provider or study them independently. This is a good option if you don’t know what degree you want to do. Doing A levels in different subjects is a great way to keep your options open. Remember to download past papers from the relevant exam board websites, and make use of the Study Help forums and A level study help page.

Spoiler

Open University Credits

The Open University offers high-quality distance-learning modules which are ideal for people who do not live within easy reach of a school/college, or who have busy lives and need to fit their studies around a job and/or family.

Spoiler

OpenPlus

OpenPlus is a partnership between The Open University (OU) and other leading universities to create a more affordable and flexible route into a science degree. If you decide to do OpenPlus, remember to visit the Open University forum to talk to other OU students and discuss specific modules.

Spoiler

for the contact information for all OpenPlus partner universities.

Who will award my degree?
Your degree will be awarded by your partner university.

How do I pay for it?
You can get a student loan to cover the cost of both the Open University and partner university tuition fees.

Birkbeck, University of London

Birkbeck College offers a number of Certificates of Higher Education (CertHE) which can be used to apply for or transfer into degree courses at other universities.

Spoiler

Foundation Degree

Foundation degrees are higher education qualifications which combine work-based learning with academic study. They are developed with employers and usually focus on a particular career (e.g. Primary Teaching). Foundation degrees are a qualification in their own right, but they're also the equivalent of the first two years of an undergraduate degree. After you've finished your foundation degree you can 'top it up' into a bachelor's degree.

Spoiler

At University Academy 92 (UA92) in Manchester, we offer CertHE's and Access Diplomas.

CertHEs last one year and the entry requirements are lower than our undergraduate course equivalents. However, if you pass you are automatically eligible to continue on to second year of the full degree programme.

We also make it really easy for you to get a job or continue your responsibilities while you study with us. Through our fixed timetable, you will either be a morning student, in class 9-1pm or an afternoon student in class 2-6pm. On Wednesdays, we learn remotely online meaning you are free to do your learning whenever suits you. You can find out more about how we study here https://ua92.ac.uk/how-you-study

We also offer Access to Higher Education Diplomas on campus, if you're not quite ready for a CertHE yet. These courses are designed to prepare you for university-level study. Throughout your studies you will be able to master the key principles of your chosen subject area and gain practical skills valued by employers and higher education institutions alike.
You can read all the information and see FAQs about those here https://ua92.ac.uk/access-he

Hope this helps!

Katie :smile:
I would hope nobody was naive enough to do a course at University Academy 92. Flushing money down the drain. Do your CertHE/Access course at proper, established educational institutions.:smile:
Original post by Snufkin
I would hope nobody was naive enough to do a course at University Academy 92. Flushing money down the drain. Do your CertHE/Access course at proper, established educational institutions.:smile:

Not to worry, all of our CertHEs and Undergraduate Degrees are awarded by @Lancaster University (a top ten university in the UK) and our Access Diplomas are awarded by Trafford College each with the benefit of our structured timetable!

Thanks,
^Katie :smile:
Reply 125
I wrote a post here about Cambridge ICE Undergrad Certificates.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6745658
Well,

Currently applying to do an access course for medicine, I’m 23, a mate thinks that’s too young to get into an access course. Any thoughts?
Original post by Hitchens97
Well,

Currently applying to do an access course for medicine, I’m 23, a mate thinks that’s too young to get into an access course. Any thoughts?

It really isn't - I've known people as young as 19 do an Access course. Good luck!
Reply 128
Well,

I'm the same age as you, doing an access course this year and going to uni this September. It's ironic because I had a friend suggest to me that I was too old! People will always have opinions but if it's what you want to do you may as well go for it. The majority of my course are roughly in my age range, there's a few younger and a few older.
Original post by ccoll
I'm the same age as you, doing an access course this year and going to uni this September. It's ironic because I had a friend suggest to me that I was too old! People will always have opinions but if it's what you want to do you may as well go for it. The majority of my course are roughly in my age range, there's a few younger and a few older.

Thanks so much for your reply? Is your course to medicine? If so contact me?
https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/media/f3450e04-2d2b-4b33-932f-41140d57c41e/ofs2019_20.pdf

Office for Students
Preparing for degree study
Analysis of Access to Higher Education Diplomas and integrated foundation year courses
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin

out of genuine interest because UA92 is my first choice, a year later, would you still say this. Im under the impression that a Lancaster awarded degree is a good thing?
Original post by anastasjla
out of genuine interest because UA92 is my first choice, a year later, would you still say this. Im under the impression that a Lancaster awarded degree is a good thing?

Yes, I would still say the same thing. Go to Lancaster if you want a degree from there.
Well,

No you can do Access at 23. Lots in my class with same age range
Original post by ccoll

There is a support event online for Access students coming up might be worthwhile looking at Uni Taster days website for more info. I think its called Access to Higher Education Conference 2022. Apparantly there is support for student finance, personal statements and academic sessions.i signed up and I am looking forward to it. I'm not planning on doing medicine but there may be some help. Assuming the UCAS date has passed for medicine applications though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending