The Student Room Group

Sharp belly button pain

Scroll to see replies

I googled about naval pain and apparantly a lot of people have ur symptoms. Stop feasting on painkillers for every pain u feel-_-. Go to a doctor and pressurize him until he finds out what exactly the problem is!
Original post by Foo.mp3

It’s one possible explanation that may need to be explored, given what she’s described (including, and especially, acute abdominal discomfort enhanced by pressure and flatulence)

You don't have a clue what obstruction looks like.

Obstruction is an acute presentation with colicky abdominal pain paired with distention, complete constipation, lack of flatulence +/- vomiting. Usually caused by intra-abdominal adhesions secondary to surgery, hernias or malignancy.

You're just borrowing medical language like any good charlatan.

Depends what the source of the pain is e.g. musculoskeletal vs. internal organs

So you think her pain is musculoskeletal now? But I thought it was obstruction. Oh no wait, a peptic ulcer? Or is it chronic inflammation? Or GI toxins?

Standard practice of the quack. Misappropriate medical language, constantly move the goal posts, offer up grossly simplified solutions.
Original post by Etomidate
Why would you use a topical NSAID for abdominal pain? The only place this has is MSK pain, particularly the hands and knees. Besides, the risk associated with TDS ibuprofen in a young person for appropriate durations is negligible.

I suggested it if the pain felt muscular. It's obviously not the first line of defence, but it can't hurt.
I almost had a stomach ulcer after taking ibuprofen tablets for a little under a week for a lower chest/side problem which turned out to be strained intercostal muscles. They switched me to gel. I also have gels for my upper back and shoulders, but find it useless on my hands, knees and ankles.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Oh boy. Did your GP not know of this? Generally, ibuprofen should be used for the shortest amount of time poss and the stuff is also contraindicated for those with hypertensive disorders :s-smilie:

Thanks for the vote of confidence :smile: Not sure we’ll get through to this guy though, apparently he doesn’t know when to sit down..:mute:

In general I agree, but it depends how serious/disruptive the problem is and what has previously been done to investigate it/whether the pain/discomfort remains idiopathic after the various, more routine, investigative steps are taken

It’s one possible explanation that may need to be explored, given what she’s described (including, and especially, acute abdominal discomfort enhanced by pressure and flatulence)

Not sure where you got that from :dontknow:

Agreed

I wouldn’t be so bold as to hazard a guess, and the quoted passage pertains/applies to adverse GI effects more broadly

I’ve made no particular presumptions as far as I can recall, just mentioned my experience and things to watch out for/consider having investigated

Depends what the source of the pain is e.g. musculoskeletal vs. internal organs

Do not disagree, but being as it has already been dispensed by yourself, and others, prior to my interjection, I see no harm in adding further thoughts, personally. This is a student forum, not a locum practice/advice site, and it should go without saying that anything we say is no substitute for consulting a physician

I’ll take your tangential/puerile insult as a sign that you realised you cannot reasonably contest the point :rolleyes:

Ah ok. Ultra sound is quite an interesting experience/sensation! :mmm:

Give me a bell if you’d like me to go through it with you (perhaps less taxing for thee)

Heh, no doubt! I’ma have some organic honey right now, you’ve reminded me :bee2:

Jolly good, you’re better than I am!

Understood, but hopefully you’ll be back on your feet before long :smile:

Goodness only knows. It's sad that people feel the need to be so negative, sadder still when said individuals are actually set to enter the healthcare profession, as I assume he is. Expect he'll have excellent bedside manner (no sarcasm here whatsoever) :innocent:

I'm sure we all are, but have absolutely no idea how this concern is relevant here. When you tire of arrogant presumptions, quite deliberate misrepresentation/tragic attempts at straw men, and libel, and actually have something constructive, or at least accurate, to say, be sure let us know :borat:

My GPs advised that I take ibruprofen during my cyst pain issues and then following on from actually having the cyst removed. So I have been dependant somewhat on them to help relieve pain.

I felt like I was pregnant having it done,so so weird for sure.

I'm going to go through it tomorrow morning right after my blood test/further examinations. I'll give you a call if I'm struggling with anything or have questions,if you don't mind ofc.

You're so lucky,my organic honey really helped me fight pneumonia very well indeed among other issues I had. Thank god for Palestinian honey.

God knows what he's like in bed :mmm:
I don't understand the need to be so negative and make all these weird assumptions/presumptions. This is exactly what med school student can be like,especially males. It's always put me off dating them.

I guess it would feel nice being looked after plus having Abit of company around,not easy living in a big empty house,probably downsize soon enough
Original post by queen-bee
This is exactly what med school student can be like,especially males. It's always put me off dating them.

Don't flatter yourself, sweetheart.
Don't flatter yourself, sweetheart.

I've had many offers and the chance to get with hot med school studens and junior doctors,all which I rejected. So no thank you. Word of advice though:fix the attitude.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Perhaps you're unfamiliar with partial obstructions

Just wouldn't necessarily rule it out prior to her having had a physical examination

Did you indeed :h:

Unlikely

A possibility, not least given the confirmed habitual use of ibuprofen

*quack quack*

I’d use language more appropriate to you but I fear it may get me banned :mmm:

It’s really shocking the damage the stuff can do! If only I’d known before I started taking them, back in the day. Hope it’s all healed up now :smile:

Do they know you’ve been taking them the whole time since? I hope we’re talking infrequently and/or low doses :erm:

No problemo

Oops, I forgot to have it! Haha. I’ll bring you some of mine when I see you

It’s funny, all the med students I’ve consulted to date have been very receptive and not at all arsey. Mind you, I expect this chap wouldn’t run his mouth nearly as much with me in person.. internet bravado ftw! :teeth:

That’s an understatement! :dancing:

i would like to use some specific words myself too but it'll get me banned :mmm:

I would switch between paracetamol and ibruprofen and then when I had pneumonia I would also take them,used to be twice a day at least twice a week depending on how much pain I was in. I didn't tell my go I was taking them all the time,I would only ever take them when I was in great pain and caused sleepless nights. These days I rarely take painkillers unless need be.

Thank you,you're a gentleman. Take notes @Etomidate

Unfortunately I have had bad experiences with males in the medical profession. They have that dominant persona where they want to be right every single time and life is like a competition. A complete headache and turn off
Original post by queen-bee
Unfortunately I have had bad experiences with males in the medical profession. They have that dominant persona where they want to be right every single time and life is like a competition. A complete headache and turn off

Well, I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences, but honestly - life is a competition. I see people competing for their lives every day and no amount of organic Palestinian honey would save you should, dread I say it, your pneumonia turn into sepsis and DIC.
Well, I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences, but honestly - life is a competition. I see people competing for their lives every day and no amount of organic Palestinian honey would save you should, dread I say it, your pneumonia turn into sepsis and DIC.

By the grace of God and the healing powers of Palestinian honey,I am still alive today. Even if it has turned into sepsis. Pure honey can cure ailments of any type. Anyway God is good,stop the negativity and please don't lecture me on life when I have probably been through more **** than you,you wouldn't survive a day in my world,**** outta here.

Quick Reply

Latest