The Student Room Group

Oxford chemistry applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BJack
My interviews had a significant focus on material that I'd learnt from WCRH (as did others', who hadn't read it) and I found them much easier than I would have had I not read it. So it goes both ways. :dontknow:

What particular topics might be useful from WCRH in preparation for the interview, given that the book is fairly advanced in places? And this is probably a completely ridiculous question but are you the Jack who's in the Oxford Chemistry video? :')
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aerosmith
What particular topics might be useful from WCRH in preparation for the interview, given that the book is fairly advanced in places? And this is probably a completely ridiculous question but are you the Jack who's in the Oxford Chemistry video? :')

Most of it is relevant, really! It's supposed to bridge A level and undergrad so don't worry that you're finding it hard. Just go through it steadily and try to make brief notes as you go.

At a guess though you've probably got best odds on the organic mechanisms coming up
Reply 22
Original post by Aerosmith

I found chapter five (on molecular orbital theory) the most useful but as KombatWombat said, it's worth going through it all if you have time.

And, no, he was in the year above me, I think.
Original post by gurumemighty
Alright so, after I met my conditional offer to Oriel, my tutor told me to have a go at reading this book. It was hard itself after A2 and it is challenging but we like to challenge ourselves right?

Two books I would recommend
Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wothers, Organic Chemistry
"The book follows a logical structure, and so pre-university students should be able to follow the first 10 chapters or so using their A level knowledge."
Peter Sykes, Guidebook to Mechanism in Organic Chemistry
"This book I read the first chapter without much difficulty. It's actually really interesting advanced chemistry that is comprehensible compared to Why Chemical Reactions Happen"

We all know we want to pre-read some challenging books to show our interests in personal statement. My advice would be browsing through the content quickly and pick the right book for you. For me it was Sykes. Jotted it down in my ps, I was asked about structural difference between CH2CH2 (that's ethene)and CH2CCH2 was lucky to get answer it well enough in the interview.

Anyway good luck!

Sykes is good for someone especially interested in organic, but Clayden, as good as it is, is a bit much for someone about to apply, isn't it? Theres no need to go through all 10 chapters, never mind 1000+ pages!
Original post by gurumemighty
Alright so, after I met my conditional offer to Oriel, my tutor told me to have a go at reading this book. It was hard itself after A2 and it is challenging but we like to challenge ourselves right?
.......!

So, can I please ask how 'a 2nd year economist' at the other place got offer to read Chemistry at Oxford?
Reply 25
Original post by vincrows
So, can I please ask how 'a 2nd year economist' at the other place got offer to read Chemistry at Oxford?

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just like smoking a rabbit out of the hole. It popped out to the other side and got caught. A beauty of team work. :biggrin:
Reply 27

Original post by vincrows
Just like smoking a rabbit out of the hole. It popped out to the other side and got caught. A beauty of team work. :biggrin:

Oh Bravo!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending