The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snake113
Anyone going to the Bank of England Insight day on friday? What do you think is the dress code(Suits or just jeans & shirt)?

Went last month - definitely go with a suit.
Original post by egdargi
Do you guys know any websites where I can practice for the reasoning tests?

Assessment Day, JobTestPrep
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Went last month - definitely go with a suit.

Alright, thanks a lot!
Original post by jchap9776
I think the horizons programme isnt actually in the spring but may be in the summer of first year - do you know if an application to horizons automatically enters your application for their spring week aswell????

Its during summer yeah. Yes those who reached the AC stage last year for horizons but didnt get the whole thing, were given the spring week for reaching that stage.
sound, might do a horizons app but idk - is the app process for it more effort?? appaz they take like 10 people for it

five. most competitive spring week app out of anything probably. yes you need to do loads, read the pdf file on the ubs horizons page.
Reply 585
Guys, is Morgan Stanley's SW open because it says it is but I can't seem to apply for it... the scheme just doesn't appear when you go to apply!
Also, does anyone know what kind of marks we should be hitting in the Maths and Verbal Reasoning Tests? Or a certain percentile you need to be in, so that your application is considered further?
Original post by Voss_1
What advice would you give for writing a CV for SWs??
And were the interviewers expecting you to be up to date with economic news, stock prices etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really push how everything you've done so far is related to IB. It doesn't necessarily have to be banking work experience, but I think really tailoring your CV as much as possible is really key. There's loads online about the skills you need for banking so I would keep that in mind, particularly as you can really push soft skills you have, numerical skills if applicable etc. Also, definitely keep your CV to no more than one page, not only does this make filling it easier, but recruiters probably won't read past the first page anyway :tongue:.

How much you need to know really depends on the bank you're applying to - for some the interview is very commercially focused e.g. being asked to talk about recent market events etc. (this was for S+T though) but for others it's more competency based e.g. give me an example of a time when you showed leadership/resolved a problem. The latter type are very easy to prepare for and I would definitely recommend doing that, particularly as for phone interviews you can have your notes laid out in front of you.

I would also try to attend some events at university for the banks you're the most interested in. Don't try to fit them all in (you don't want freshers totally crammed with careers stuff :tongue:) but equally it is really helpful to be able to put on a cover letter that you spoke to x from y firm who said x firm was a great place to work etc. But you should also balance this with applying as early as possible to strengthen your chances. (Exception - don't bother applying early for GS as they don't recruit on a rolling basis)
Reply 587
For anyone who has started filling applications in or applied last year, are you putting your term time address down or home address?

Edit: Same goes for CVs, are you using term time address or home address on them
Reply 588
Original post by welcometoib
five. most competitive spring week app out of anything probably. yes you need to do loads, read the pdf file on the ubs horizons page.

You think its worth applying for the SW instead if my application isn't very strong? Or if i apply and get rejected from the horizons program, will they still properly consider my application for the SW?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 589
Original post by smile:D
Really push how everything you've done so far is related to IB. It doesn't necessarily have to be banking work experience, but I think really tailoring your CV as much as possible is really key. There's loads online about the skills you need for banking so I would keep that in mind, particularly as you can really push soft skills you have, numerical skills if applicable etc. Also, definitely keep your CV to no more than one page, not only does this make filling it easier, but recruiters probably won't read past the first page anyway :tongue:.

How much you need to know really depends on the bank you're applying to - for some the interview is very commercially focused e.g. being asked to talk about recent market events etc. (this was for S+T though) but for others it's more competency based e.g. give me an example of a time when you showed leadership/resolved a problem. The latter type are very easy to prepare for and I would definitely recommend doing that, particularly as for phone interviews you can have your notes laid out in front of you.

I would also try to attend some events at university for the banks you're the most interested in. Don't try to fit them all in (you don't want freshers totally crammed with careers stuff :tongue:) but equally it is really helpful to be able to put on a cover letter that you spoke to x from y firm who said x firm was a great place to work etc. But you should also balance this with applying as early as possible to strengthen your chances. (Exception - don't bother applying early for GS as they don't recruit on a rolling basis)

Respect for the comprehensive advice!! I owe you one man!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 590
Does anybody know roughly when the SW application intake process ends? Want to delay my application till uni, but dont want to miss the deadlines

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Voss_1
You think its worth applying for the SW instead if my application isn't very strong? Or if i apply and get rejected from the horizons program, will they still properly consider my application for the SW?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if your app isnt strong id defo not go for horizons, it would be a waste of an app as they expect a lot of things already, including things youve done before uni started. And as for being considered for the spring week, as I said last year they gave the sw to those who made the only AC they have for it, but not the actual offer, so maybe 5 more people at most.
Original post by Voss_1
Does anybody know roughly when the SW application intake process ends? Want to delay my application till uni, but dont want to miss the deadlines

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically Dec/Jan but you'll want most of your apps sent off by Oct/Nov
Do you guys know if Barclays does IBD spring week? I can only find it for the Technology division

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its during summer yeah. Yes those who reached the AC stage last year for horizons but didnt get the whole thing, were given the spring week for reaching that stage.

Thanks for your help! It seems like a tough one to do for sure, cheers for pointing me to the pdf 😊 my prior experiences and stuff probs seem a bit week for horizons so I reckon I'll end up sticking to the SW application
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 595
Where do we state our divisiom preference for UBS? Is it just at the end in the question on why the division? Because the only drop down box ive seen is for 2nd choice.
how is anyone submitting applications considering that they want evidence that you are on track for a 2 1?
importance of campus events?? applied to most of them available to me - guess that attending them would helps me answer the question 'Why Bank X?' ??
importance of campus events?? applied to most of them available to me - guess that attending them would helps me answer the question 'Why Bank X?' ??

Very important. That's precisely what they're for. They're also invaluable for networking.
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
how is anyone submitting applications considering that they want evidence that you are on track for a 2 1?

At this stage they don't require it because you cannot provide it. Put 2.1/1st expected.

Latest

Trending

Trending