The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolatmaths
Oh awesome, what do you think is the most relevant degree to do? i mean i know its all about uni but you know

Don't think there is a specific degree which is the best for a Finance position but when I spoke to some traders through family most of them did Maths/Economics/Physics and other quantitative degrees etc at the Top 6 universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh awesome, what do you think is the most relevant degree to do? i mean i know its all about uni but you know

Drama / Stage Design / History of Art have all been said to do really well - Econ/Maths/Engineering/CompSci/DataSci are all a waste of time.

Do a degree in the above subjects at Sheffield Hallam/Leeds Beckett/Southampton Solent and you're guranteed a job in Trading

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tazza ma razza
Drama / Stage Design / History of Art have all been said to do really well - Econ/Maths/Engineering/CompSci/DataSci are all a waste of time.

Do a degree in the above subjects at Sheffield Hallam/Leeds Beckett/Southampton Solent and you're guranteed a job in Trading

Spoiler

"Econ/Maths/Engineering/CompScie/DataSci" are a waste of time for what?

EDIT: apologies I should have read it all
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Breakingbank
"Econ/Maths/Engineering/CompScie/DataSci" are a waste of time for what?

It's a joke bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It's a joke bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I didn't read it all just saw the econ is a waste of time bit haha

but yeah haha, btec hair and beauty at sheffield hallam should suffice

Great, thanks will check them out

Original post by Killer910
Don't think there is a specific degree which is the best for a Finance position but when I spoke to some traders through family most of them did Maths/Economics/Physics and other quantitative degrees etc at the Top 6 universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome thanks

Spoiler

Well I was specifically looking at trading assets

Besides, i see nothing wrong with asking people for what they did...
(edited 8 years ago)
Well I was specifically looking at trading assets

Besides, i see nothing wrong with asking people for what they did...

fair - here is the trick. Go to a good uni and if you want to trade assets in the future, read a subject that is somewhat numerical and one you enjoy. Use the societies at the uni and more importantly your own personal interest to build your brand and ecs and apply and get a sh!t ton of SW / SI offers. Job Done.

Subject < uni < your own brand + background
fair - here is the trick. Go to a good uni and if you want to trade assets in the future, read a subject that is somewhat numerical and one you enjoy. Use the societies at the uni and more importantly your own personal interest to build your brand and ecs and apply and get a sh!t ton of SW / SI offers. Job Done.

Awesome mate, thanks

I did econ and got GS, but would argue subject is nowhere near that important.
Original post by MrStealYourGirl
I did econ and got GS, but would argue subject is nowhere near that important.

His hierarchy puts subject as the last priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
His hierarchy puts subject as the last priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely misread, my bad.
Anyone else doing BlackRocks Spring Week in their Investments group, specifically Fixed Income??

If so please PM me I have a favour to ask :grin:
What degree do you think is universally useful for a career in finance?

Banks strive on diversity, you probably have a better chance of getting in with an engineering/language degree than with economics. They try and in take the same diversity and the ratio of economics applicants compared to others is crazy.
Original post by coder4
Banks strive on diversity, you probably have a better chance of getting in with an engineering/language degree than with economics. They try and in take the same diversity and the ratio of economics applicants compared to others is crazy.

idk, it seems risky. Considering that a job isnt guaranteed, im sure an economics degree would suffice for a good middle/back office job.

Surely i would be a stronger candidate if i had a CV with an economics degree and plenty of SW and SI's as opposed to someone with an engineering degree with the same extras?

I've had a look at the UCL econ program and they have a module on banking and finance, seems far more relevant
idk, it seems risky. Considering that a job isnt guaranteed, im sure an economics degree would suffice for a good middle/back office job.

Surely i would be a stronger candidate if i had a CV with an economics degree and plenty of SW and SI's as opposed to someone with an engineering degree with the same extras?

I've had a look at the UCL econ program and they have a module on banking and finance, seems far more relevant

It is but banks are sick of hiring the same people so they purposely hire other degrees, stick with econ tho its a safe bet

Lol no. You'd be in the exact same positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No doubt diversity matters. And if they have already hired/ selected interns from your uni & course... it'd make them more open to someone else. But please guys, we are talking random variables/ chances/ outta your control. Don't pick a subject based on how diverse it makes you. Pick what you enjoy/ good at. If you're decent, you'll get a shot somewhere.
Original post by PrinceUpsb
No doubt diversity matters. And if they have already hired/ selected interns from your uni & course... it'd make them more open to someone else. But please guys, we are talking random variables/ chances/ outta your control. Don't pick a subject based on how diverse it makes you. Pick what you enjoy/ good at. If you're decent, you'll get a shot somewhere.

^^
Original post by PrinceUpsb

This ^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending